Utah Fishing, any tips?

S
Spydeyrch
Hey guys,

So I am heading to Utah on the last week of this month for a family reunion. Why there, I don't know since all of us are from Oregon and Washington. Oh well. :D

But I am excited because we might be arriving a few days before the reunion starts. So, that give me an opportunity to get some fishing in!!

Any ideas of where I might go for some good trout fishing? I would prefer streams, creeks, and rivers as opposed to lakes and ponds. No stockers please.

Oh, we will be staying in Herriman which is just south west of South Jordan and Salt Lake City.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to do some fly fishing but I will be lugging around my light spinner gear if needs be or maybe for some of my cousins.

Thanks in advance!!

-Spydey

M
mrlindeman
My broher lived in Utah and fly fished there a very long time. Nymphs are key and dry's are a great thing to use as well

G
GDBrown
Just head up Provo canyon and you can fish the lower river (below the dam) and the middle section (between the dams) both are excellent fisheries but my be flies only now. My son lives in West Jordan and goes there or to the Weber river by going up Parleys canyon. Great places to fish and checking in at the local tackle shop will get you all kinds of information. You can also get a one or two day license online that you print out for yourself.

Utah is all about family reunions, my wife's extended family will be having one down in New Harmony in August or September. I'm sending her home on the plane and I'll be fishing my way home!

R
rainbowfisherman
I was going to recomend the Provo as well. A couple of buddies of mine fished it with a guide awhile ago. They had just starting to fly fish and said they caught over 30 fish a piece. Safe travels and have a great trip!

S
Spydeyrch
Thanks everyone. I was looking at either the Provo or the Green river. Depending on how high the water is, I will have to try the Provo. Thanks again guys.

-Spydey