Using spinners for trout

M
MicahCarrick
I've actually caught trout before using spinners, but I was a kid and don't quite remember how. I'm looking for some techniques other than powerbait on the bottom and nightcrawler on a bobber rigs.

I still have about a dozen (Mepps aglias, rooster tails, etc.) spinner lures ranging in size and color.

If I recall, I used to just put them on a snap swivel at the end of the line and toss 'em out and bring them in (I dont' have a boat, this is all about bank fishing rivers and lakes) However, the smaller ones have almost no weight to them and I don't imagine I could cast them very far. I could use some pointers.

Should I...

a) Use the lure connected to a snap-swivel as I belive I used to do as a kid?

b) Use an egg singer above a swivel with 2 feet or so of leader to which the lure is connected?

c) Use some kind of 3-way swivel with a weight going down and the lure being dragged behind like is done when trolling?

Should I only use spinner lures in rivers--not in lakes?

Any techniques or tips for spinner fishing for trout would be much appreciated.

C
Combat Chuck
MicahCarrick said:
I've actually caught trout before using spinners, but I was a kid and don't quite remember how. I'm looking for some techniques other than powerbait on the bottom and nightcrawler on a bobber rigs.

I still have about a dozen (Mepps aglias, rooster tails, etc.) spinner lures ranging in size and color.

If I recall, I used to just put them on a snap swivel at the end of the line and toss 'em out and bring them in (I dont' have a boat, this is all about bank fishing rivers and lakes) However, the smaller ones have almost no weight to them and I don't imagine I could cast them very far. I could use some pointers.

Should I...

a) Use the lure connected to a snap-swivel as I belive I used to do as a kid?

b) Use an egg singer above a swivel with 2 feet or so of leader to which the lure is connected?

c) Use some kind of 3-way swivel with a weight going down and the lure being dragged behind like is done when trolling?

Ive really gotten into spinners this year, especially at the winter and springtime stocked ponds. They work good in lakes too, although distance can be limiting. I have never thought about the 3-way swivel and weight... it could work. My favorites are a snap swivel with a blue fox, panther martin and kastmaster. Try a larger kastmaster on the lakes... they cast a mile. Find steeper banks to fish spinners at the lakes, the depth will increase your chances. If your spinners dont have enough weight, you could always start making your own just how you like them ;).

P
plunkme
ive been spinning all year with some 1/8 rooster tails i use 4 lb line and throw it as far as i can, the key point is reeling in the spinner slow enough that the blade spins

F
FishSchooler
I just started using a long piece of lead that is hollow, so you thread the line through, then pinch the ends with pliers. They come in coils, so cut about 6 inches off with wire cutters or scissors. Cut it at an angle too. I can cast a mile with those these weights too.

K
Kodiak
I really like spinners in rivers...for EVERY THING!!!! When you are working a spinner in a creek or river try letting them drift through some deeper runs while reeling just enough to make the blade spin. Also try letting them swing in behind rocks and let the blade "stall out" just a little. The eratic flutter can sometimes trigger strikes. Also very your retrieve speed, some days they like it moving slow, others they like it rippin' and smash it. I've use weight above my spinners in deeper water or in lakes. I prefer to use weights on a sliding sinker because you can feel slack bites better and lighter takes much easier. Most important thing though is to read the water and be able to cast acurately.

In lakes I look for points and bays where I can fan cast to cover more water. When you are fishing in lakes don't be afraid to move and find the fish or even better get a float tube and you can troll a spinner behind you.
Good Luck

C
chris61182
MicahCarrick said:
However, the smaller ones have almost no weight to them and I don't imagine I could cast them very far.

Ok, so time to play 20 questions, or maybe a few less :)
What size spinner? A 1/16oz may not cast too far, a 1/8oz shouldn't cause much trouble, anything above that no problem!

If you're having troubles with the larger spinners you may want to look at your line. For monofilament line you might want to look at using 6lb test or lower, and while 8lb test mono is a pretty standard weight may be a little on the large size. Myself, I use 10lb braided line, which claims to have 2lb test diameter, and can cast nearly a country mile with that stuff! I even have a spool of 8lb test braid, with a claimed 1lb test diameter, I'm waiting to put on the next time I have to respool.

Should I...

a) Use the lure connected to a snap-swivel as I believe I used to do as a kid?

A swivel is typically unnecessary unless you happen to be getting a lot of line twist, or you just plain old don't feel like retying your knots for lure changes. Though on occasion a swivel can interfere with the action of a lure, though usually not for spinners.

I might avoid the 3-way swivel for casting and retrieving. It's only a matter of time until that third line causes an ugly tangle. And the egg sinker method has worked for me.

Good god no! Spinners definitely work in lakes.

Seek out structure; weedlines, drop offs, points, fallen timber, submerged islands, scum lines, and yes even somewhat intangible things like the thermocline can be considered structure.

And I've attached some photos of some spinner trout just to get your juices flowing :D.

M
MicahCarrick
Much appreciated, thanks!

Troutski
Troutski
Beautiful Fish...

Beautiful Fish...

chris61182 said:
Ok, so time to play 20 questions, or maybe a few less :)
What size spinner? A 1/16oz may not cast too far, a 1/8oz shouldn't cause much trouble, anything above that no problem!

If you're having troubles with the larger spinners you may want to look at your line. For monofilament line you might want to look at using 6lb test or lower, and while 8lb test mono is a pretty standard weight may be a little on the large size. Myself, I use 10lb braided line, which claims to have 2lb test diameter, and can cast nearly a country mile with that stuff! I even have a spool of 8lb test braid, with a claimed 1lb test diameter, I'm waiting to put on the next time I have to respool.

A swivel is typically unnecessary unless you happen to be getting a lot of line twist, or you just plain old don't feel like retying your knots for lure changes. Though on occasion a swivel can interfere with the action of a lure, though usually not for spinners.

I might avoid the 3-way swivel for casting and retrieving. It's only a matter of time until that third line causes an ugly tangle. And the egg sinker method has worked for me.

Good god no! Spinners definitely work in lakes.

Seek out structure; weedlines, drop offs, points, fallen timber, submerged islands, scum lines, and yes even somewhat intangible things like the thermocline can be considered structure.

And I've attached some photos of some spinner trout just to get your juices flowing :D.

Those area beautiful Fish thanks for sharing, I truly love spinner fishing...so much so I make my own...not that I don't have a collection of Rooster Tails and Blue Foxes.....but there is just something about catching a fish on one of your own creations. I may take it to a higher bar, I test them out in a bath tub with the water running full blast and it makes a nice current and I can tell what the lure will act like when in the wild. I weigh them after all components are assembled and use them accordingly.
When using them on a lake slow trolling and lots of turns, watch the action on the rod when you first cast it out and it will change when you either pick up some grass or a leaf...after a while you can tell when a fish is following it by the way the action on the rod tip changes...I think it is the hydrlics changing the flow around the lure and after a while you can see it...:think: :confused:
At least it is my story and I am sticking to it....

Chuck

S
SDK
Can't add to much to what has already been said. I've been having great success with spinners for trout in rivers and lakes.

I like the small size 10 black snap swivels. They're small enough to not interfere with the lure action and make changing quick and easy. I like fooling around with different lures, and have had a few real good outings by changing up every 20 minutes or so until I find something that the fish are hitting that day.

Scott

J
Justluck
nice pictures!

N
Nelson
spinners

spinners

got to love spinners . I fish them for trout and bass.

Blue Fox , Panther martins are my favorite.

can't add much that has not been said. but I am a real fan of NOT using a snap swivel, and NOT using any weight. The line tied directly to the spinner allows for much better "action" on the lighter spinners. With a very large spinner this is not a problem. But if your fishing for trout, with the Panthers and the Foxes, tie the line with a polomyer knot directly to the lure. You can easily rip it off and tie another on in seconds. Also ... with the light spinners, use light rod and reel set up and LIGHT as you can get away with line. My favorite is about 6lb berkley SMOOTH CASTING line. you would be surprised how far you can cast that line with a small spinner. change your line often and it will cast better. Panther Martin size 6 is what i use the most. use the count down method to sink the spinner . If you wait 10 seconds or longer it will get how ever deep you need it. You will loose some spinners but that is why i use the 6lb rather than 3 or 2 . you can walk around a snag and save your spinner if your crafty. Lastly, and in contrast Rooster Brand spinners are better to use with a weight I have found. The very light ones of course. they just have a different action then the pm and bf lures. less hum, and less bubble. good luck and slay them on those spinners.:)

S
Slap Happy Drums
I have awful luck w/ spinners , but I keep trying. Not sure if I using too big a spinner or what , but I can't catch anything with the buggers......except Northern , when in a boat , when in Minnesota.

A
ArcticAmoeba
It is probably the spinner's design, or it could be of tune...Sounds crazy, but I have been using properly "tuned" hand made spinners for about the past month or so, and i kill everywhere I go, floating the Molalla, and Willy on the magic carpet, I throw spinners designed for trout, and hook into bigger bass than my friends who toss bait, grubs, Dingers, Senkos, you name it, they are like cheating for me. The slightest little change in the wire the spinner is assembeled upon(This is the "tuning " I mentioned) will render it useless essentially. Troutski builds his own, and another friend, and member does as well who is generous to me with his gear. It is nice when I can drive to a local stocker pond, and see 30 guys, gals, & kids usin stink dough, and worms... I pull up and leave the truck running, cast usually 4-10 times,(Gettin that thing to thump just right is key too.) and will almost always have two fish in less than 10 or so minutes. Not always, but I'd guess 75-80% of the time. Gotta love the look on peoples faces when you do stuff like that! I'm telling you the right gear has made me a better fisherman. I throw number 3 and 4 steelhead spinners in the Molalla out towords Colton, and I can't keep the little trout off of them, so I don't think your spinners are too big...And Pikeminnow seem to eat everything, as I too catch countless Salmon Stalkers on my spinners...Dang, goober fish tryin too eat smolt, and eggs. To the plank with them!!! And I don't mean a cedar one either!

Last edited:
C
chris61182
Along with everything ArticAmoeba said, I'd just add that there is such a thing as rotten luck. Keep at it, switch up your lure every 10-15 minutes, explore your body of water, who knows maybe the actively feeding fish aren't where you might expect them to be.

P.S. There's generally no such thing as a spinner that's too big. My general rule of thumb for trout and chinook at Green Peter, is that bigger is better. If my favorite brand of spinner came in 3/4oz and black I'd buy it and fish it in a heart beat! Though if you regularly catch fish on big spinners and one day they're just not interested, go way to the other end of the spectrum, 1/16oz, and that will usually do the trick :).

A
arll77
I think for the use of Spinners the more important things to look at is the what the water terrrain is like. I really like fishing where the was is somewhat deep with a current. I have less luck where either the water is too swift too shallow or if you run into a hole that is too deep with very little current. Like somewhere that looks more like a place that could be used as a swimming hole. But I'm far from an expert.

F
FishSchooler
Hey Amoeba, howd it go with the GooberGreen? Catch anything besides carp?:dance::dance::lol::lol: