Using Scent

T
Teo
I was sort of wondering how often you would apply scent. There seems to be two main types, those that are more fluid or oily, and those that are sort of a gel and stick on better. I sort like the oily type more because it seems to give off its odor easier and quicker, but I'm wondering how often I should apply it. Like every cast? Every third cast? I use jigs mainly.

It seems to me as though the gel types don't release there odor so fast, but maybe I'm mistaken. Any thoughts? Anything else I should know about scents?

A
autofisher
When I use scents, I like to use the oil type. The gel doesn't seem like it gives a good presentation. With the oils, I usually reapply after about 15-20 minutes depending on how long I'm in one spot. It also depends on the kind of material that the jigs are made out of. Some materials, such as wool, will hold scent a lot longer than you would expect.

E
eggs
I only scent on low vis conditions only and apply every 15mins or so.. mostly only drift yarn..

M
Mike123
I mainly worry about scent fishing for salmon.. When using eggs the oily kind are best and I apply them often. When using lures I use the thicker pasty kind.
Jigs and scent don't mix.. it ruins the action of the feathers. You can dip the head of the jig in Smelly Jelly, since that won't run into the feathers. On yarn jigs you can use scent well. On those Aero jigs I been using, the scent doens't seem to hurt the jig, because there's not really much for feathers on them.
I like herring scent in saltwater. Salmon Feast honestly has increased my catch ratio.

J
JeannaJigs
I only use scent on acrylic jigs, i.e the ones such as aero jigs that don't have feathers. The scent will kill your marabou or schlappen action in the water, and it's especially deadly to the action of rabbit fur. Pretty much though I find I only use a dab on the head of acrylic jigs, about every 30 minutes when the water is nasty. If it's clear, I don't use scent at all. That's just me though. I think it just all comes down to personal preference. I know people that use scent on everything and catch fish, and I know people that don't ever use scent, and they catch just as many fish.

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
I only use scent on acrylic jigs, i.e the ones such as aero jigs that don't have feathers. The scent will kill your marabou or schlappen action in the water, and it's especially deadly to the action of rabbit fur. Pretty much though I find I only use a dab on the head of acrylic jigs, about every 30 minutes when the water is nasty. If it's clear, I don't use scent at all. That's just me though. I think it just all comes down to personal preference. I know people that use scent on everything and catch fish, and I know people that don't ever use scent, and they catch just as many fish.

Is there some kinda echo in here?? hahaha :lol: JK JJ!

J
JeannaJigs
Mike123 said:
Is there some kinda echo in here?? hahaha :lol: JK JJ!
I DIDN'T SEE THAT. I just hit reply without reading anything lol

Sorrrrrrry.

It's friday and I slept 2 hours. lol.