Using dipsy diver

G
goin4kokes
Was wondering if anyone has had any success using a dips diver or any other type diver while trolling for kokanee? Have not tried it yet but thought about adding it to the arsenal if anyone knows if they work or not. Do they maybe interfere with your rigging action

Last edited by a moderator:
C
capblack
i dont see how a diver would interfere with the action of your lure, but i dont think it would be much fun reeling in a koke with a diver in front of it. the goal is as light of tackle as possible.

G
goin4kokes
Yes you may be right. Although I was thinking of using in place of some or all of the weight needed to reach deeper water. I suppose I should try it and see how it works . Thanks for the reply

S
sweeper
Try a Big Jon Deeper Diver (google it). The 2" model will get you down to 45-50 feet using 10lb braid, much deeper than the equivalent dipsy or slide diver. While you can't use it with an ultra light rod, it works fine with a light action (4-10lb test) spinning rod. It will put a bit of a bend in the rod while trolling, but no more than a deep diving plug (like a yo-zuri crysal or a Bomber 24) would. And when a fish it feels the same as just having a slingblade and hoochie on. A lot better than using lead. Not as good as a downrigger but if you only fish for kokanee periodically, like I do, the small divers are an acceptable alternative.

G
goin4kokes
Hey thanks, I have never heard of those. Do you think it would be any help without using the 10# braid since I usually run bout 6#? Also do you need to also use an inline weight with one? Used divers a number of years ago fishing for silver but honestly can't remember if weight wad needed.

S
sweeper
The thinner line will probably get you a little deeper. You have to do a little experimenting to figure out a depth vs amount of line out curve for your particular set up. Basically let out line trolling at a constant bottom depth until you feel bottom. Do this at a couple of differnt depths and note the line out each time; metered line is best for this but you can just mark the line for a particular depth with a sharpie. Do this without the lure (diver and dodger only); it will save snagging up. You can also find depth charts online or in Precision Trolling that will work fine if your line is similar diamter. And no, you don't add any weight. I just tie on the diver, 3 feet of mono, then the dodger/lure. Seems to catch as many fish as anything else. I also have used the divers trolling small plugs and spoons, without the dodger, for deep summer trout with some success.