Useful rig?

montym

Hey folks, been a while since I last posted. Won't say that I've missed you every day of my life, but I've visited this site very often in the last year and a bit, even after I came back to India. Well, life in a way is good, certainly enjoying the food better as my increased waistline will attest to, but so far fishing has not been a part of it.

Feeling like a dumb dodo in the last few days to be honest, when I was packing up in US I decided that I won't be able to fish in India, so I sold/donated all my gear. Should have known better than that.

I am living in Pune, just a few hours of the coast, and couple of days back finally I decided that I can't waste all my beach trips just making sand castles. Imagine warm clean water where you can wade far in any time of the year barring the monsoon months, no sneaker waves, no license needs, no gear restrictions and almost no one fishing at all...

In the last couple of days I have probably ordered gear worth $500 or more, dang things are expensive here. Imagine buying a dropper loop rig for $20? Over there my main surf fishing rod cost me $20! Can't even find pyramid weights on any online shop, and the closest fishing goods store is almost 90 minutes drive from my house. Just the things that's irritating me the most.

Well, here is what I wanted to share, came across this new to me style of weight for bottom fishing in rocky places. Should be useful, I'll surely try it when I hit such a place next time. Link is www.aigfa.org/articles/4. Search for graveyard rig.

A long trip coming up, 3 days in Tarkarli, 5 days in Goa, all accommodation right at the beach. Hopefully will soon be back with reports and some fishy pics.

Cheers
Monty

PS: check out the weather for Pune and Goa, I bet some of you would not mind getting out of the rain :)

Raincatcher

It's good to hear from you again. Sounds like you have quite a challenge finding fishing gear, not to mention how dang expensive it is. I can't imagine living where there are no bait/ tackle shops! Share pics of your catch when you get the chance and enjoy the sunshine!

troutdude

Welcome back my friend. Glad to see that you made it safely back there. Sorry to see how hard it is, to find fishing gear. I would've suspected that more people would fish--to feed their families.

I'd ship you some Pyramid weights. But I'd bet that it would be RIDICULOUSLY expensive. You can always find lead, if available, and use a mold to make your own. Of course...you have to have a mold. ha ha ha

C_Run

Welcome back, friend. I Googled images of Goa and Tarkarli. Looks like you are in for a rough time! As for the graveyard rig, if you can get parachute cord like the steelheaders here use, you might be in business. Back in the day, we poor folks used to use old spark plugs for weights. We would get them from the trash at the auto mechanics'.

troutdude

C_Run;n614894 said:
Welcome back, friend. I Googled images of Goa and Tarkarli. Looks like you are in for a rough time! As for the graveyard rig, if you can get parachute cord like the steelheaders here use, you might be in business. Back in the day, we poor folks used to use old spark plugs for weights. We would get them from the trash at the auto mechanics'.
Oh yeah...I recently read about using spark plugs to fish, for surf perch. Great idea C Run!

montym

troutdude, I'll ask you in a heart beat to help me with gear, but the great god amazon has dirty cheap shipping prices if one can wait for 3-4 weeks. That's what I will use when I get the stuff I need for my next trip. And a lot of people do fish here in India, but the folks with a little bit of money do not. It is not a hobby for the people who fish, they do it for survival. All of them do their fishing with a net. I've heard of people dropping grenades/dynamite into the water too. Some use handlines for time pass, can you imagine using a handline where a 20 lb fish can take your bait! I did that a couple of times, now I think I was lucky that nothing bit. The folks who can afford to spend half a day fishing with a rod just getting a suntan in if nothing bites, they mostly have no bloody clue how much fun fishing can be. All are city dwellers. I am lucky I was born in a remote corner of India (Assam) which was like Oregon 30 odd years ago in terms of natural resources. Had 3 ponds and 2 streams in our property growing up, fish abound, and one of my great grand fathers apparently shot 99 tigers too. When I was 3-4 years old I spent a lot of time digging up worms and looking for an uncle who can take me fishing... joys of a joint family, I had/have more uncles then I can remember now.

C_Run , tough times in Goa, not my friend, that place is a heaven on earth! Haven't been to Tarkarli, but I hear that is even better. Miles and Miles of warm sandy beaches, can't wait to get there. Got accommodation right at the beach too, I can literally open the door to our huts and cast a line!

Last edited:

montym

montym;n614945 said:
troutdude, I'll ask you in a hear beat to help me with gear, but the great
Barb, no idea why the site is not taking any references to you, I am crying, what I write just does not show up. trying for the 4th time, will get back with pictures.

Last edited: