Used Lami certified Pro question

B
Browning
First off, I hope I'm in the right sub forum. This is a question about a steelhead rod.. I came a cross a used X96JS 1/4-3/4 rod today. Its old enough that is doesn't have a date code on it. Which would put it pre '97-'98 or so. Its in pretty good shape, no nicks or scratches. A little piece of cork out at the top of the grip, and the finish looks a little "faded" I guess would be the way to say it. I can get it for $55. I know the technology with graphite has changed a lot since then, would I be off with something newer? Or is a Certified Pro a Certified Pro?? Thanks all in advance!

M
meluvtrout
get it! and you can find my comments on that rod in the last thread you opened about what you should buy (medium or heavy)...

B
Browning
I went back down there. I took a really good look at it this time and found what looked "weird" about it. When you hold the rod with the eyes down the back half of the blank is a kind of faded grey color. The other half is the normal Lami deep brown. I'm guessing it spent a lot of time in the gun rack of a truck, or was stored near a window maybe? But one whole half of it is definitely faded. It worries me that the integrity of the rod might be weakened...

troutdude
troutdude
I'm not sure about your "weakened integrity" issue, which may be true.

But, I'd be really concerned that you aren't looking at a tip section that is from a completely different rod. So, maybe the dude had "married" the butt section from one rod; with a top from another.

I would be quite leary about it.

D
DirectDrive
I use the casting version of that rod and they don't fade. It should all be a medium brown.

It is possible that the brown coating was not applied correctly at Lamiglas and it was sold as a second.
If it is a second it will have the letter "Z" just above the winding check (immediately above the fore grip).

B
Browning
troutdude said:
I'm not sure about your "weakened integrity" issue, which may be true.

But, I'd be really concerned that you aren't looking at a tip section that is from a completely different rod. So, maybe the dude had "married" the butt section from one rod; with a top from another.

I would be quite leary about it.

No, I checked that closely... And both halves of the rod are evenly faded. It just looks like it sat in the sun for along time to me.

B
Browning
DirectDrive said:
I use the casting version of that rod and they don't fade. It should all be a medium brown.

It is possible that the brown coating was not applied correctly at Lamiglas and it was sold as a second.
If it is a second it will have the letter "Z" just above the winding check (immediately above the fore grip).

Nope, no "Z". Ther was no markings at all, I recall that because I was looking for a date code.

H
Halfthrive
6 months ago I would have said jump on it, but now I have to say don't waste your time with Lamiglas, if you do you'll regret it at some point. After 9 Lami's I'm never fishing them again, only Loomis from now on.

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
I just have to say that I just love my lammi 1000 series rods . Got several of the old school war horses and would never switch . They are my most respected tools . I wanted a cert pro , but just couldnt do it . Had to have another 1000 . My 1324 medium is like , like , well, like , geeze , just like , the best . For me anyway . Just my 2 cents , if it matters . Never , ever , had a issue with them in my life and I kinda been using them for a hell of a long time .

Last edited:
D
DirectDrive
Yeah, those 1000 series, you can take 'em to the bank along with the S-Glas rods.
The Certified Pro is awesome in its own right as well.

They are all solid blue collar sticks and represent Lamiglas history.

D
Derick
Lamiglass makes some pretty good poles and for 55 dollars that is hard to beat. While in all the years my grandfather and dad tied up rods fished and stored rods i've never heard of the tint on the graphite fading, but tbh 55 bones is nothing and if you can still bear into the rod and hear no creeks or cracks then it should be fine. Do you notice any difference in the thickness of the varnish between the faded and un-faded sides? I'm looking at a pole right now that has been sitting in some racks on my patio for damn near 8 years and another that is over 25 years old and there's no sign of fading...just worn varnish.

C
Coho Kid
Lamiglas

Lamiglas

I have had a lot of graphite and glass rods both. The only rods that I have which show any sign of fading are glass rods. I have a graphite rod that's probably about 25 years old and I don't think it has much varnish left on it from boat rash etc. The finish is dull but the rod is evenly colored. It is possible for the varnish to change color or in essence be burnt. I've not seen it personally but if it were me I wouldn't waste money on a questionable rod when there are so many good used rods out there on the market for a decent price.

For my two cents, I have an array of rods. A few Lamiglas, a handful of W.W. Grigg, some Okuma, a few Berkley and Shimano, along with several knock off brands from Korea. My W. W. Grigg, Berkley, and Okuma get down to the river much more often than any of my Lamiglas. Mostly because those rods are cheaper and easier to replace. Including gas to Woodland I can replace any of those rods for half the cost, and I enjoy fishing them just as much if not more.