Use of senkos in The Dalles area ?

B
bakercity
I'm planning a small mouth trip to The Dalles in late April/early May. Curious about fishing success using "senkos", preferred color(s) and size?
Thank you for the suggestions :)

S
steelhead_slayer
Try a 3 inch worm with a dropper rig

J
JonT
Dunno about here, but they were my go-to bass bait when the bite was slow in Texas. I had the best luck with the 6" dark green back/light green belly T-rigged weightless. Probably need some weight in the Columbia, though. I bet soft plastic creature/crawfish patterns will slay the smallies as well. I'd like to tag along and test my theory ;)

Aervax
Aervax
Hi Bakercity. I live just outside the Dalles, moved here a couple years ago. I am transitioning from Stillwater Largemouth to current smallmouth. I think SteelheadSlayer is on it. I have caught a lot of smallies over the years with a 4" robo worm and dropper rig in Witches Tea (brown and green laminate with chartreuse tipped tail). I am doing most of my Columbia bass fishing from the bank these days so my dogs can run and play. Drop shot and bank fishing equals lots of snags. Senkos still snag from the bank, but not nearly as often. Senko success is coming with 4" in watermelon and red flake, green and white laminate, or green and bright green laminate. Though it is my preferred size for smallies, 4 inchers can be useless if the wind is blowing or if the current is strong, which is most of the time. Do not hesitate to size up to 6" or even 8" if they are not getting deep enough. The average smallies may not hit the big Senkos, but the big ones still will. I will take one bite from a pig over 10 bites from the pounders any day. Jig head and a 3 or 4 inch worm has always been a smallie slayer. Take some crank baits too to mix it up. There are periods when they kill them too.

B
bakercity
JonT said:
Dunno about here, but they were my go-to bass bait when the bite was slow in Texas. I had the best luck with the 6" dark green back/light green belly T-rigged weightless. Probably need some weight in the Columbia, though. I bet soft plastic creature/crawfish patterns will slay the smallies as well. I'd like to tag along and test my theory ;)
Thanks for your input. I've always done well with senkos so curious about colors and size in your area. Thanks again

B
bakercity
Aervax said:
Hi Bakercity. I live just outside the Dalles, moved here a couple years ago. I am transitioning from Stillwater Largemouth to current smallmouth. I think SteelheadSlayer is on it. I have caught a lot of smallies over the years with a 4" robo worm and dropper rig in Witches Tea (brown and green laminate with chartreuse tipped tail). I am doing most of my Columbia bass fishing from the bank these days so my dogs can run and play. Drop shot and bank fishing equals lots of snags. Senkos still snag from the bank, but not nearly as often. Senko success is coming with 4" in watermelon and red flake, green and white laminate, or green and bright green laminate. Though it is my preferred size for smallies, 4 inchers can be useless if the wind is blowing or if the current is strong, which is most of the time. Do not hesitate to size up to 6" or even 8" if they are not getting deep enough. The average smallies may not hit the big Senkos, but the big ones still will. I will take one bite from a pig over 10 bites from the pounders any day. Jig head and a 3 or 4 inch worm has always been a smallie slayer. Take some crank baits too to mix it up. There are periods when they kill them too.
Thanks for your ideas. Best of luck with your dogs...I've never met one I didn't think the world of. Watch out for snakes!:dog::dog:

Aervax
Aervax
Snakes? Haha. I have avoided the Deschutes and the John Day like the plague during snake season. Then this fall my 1 year old Lab was bitten in my own backyard, believe it or not. Both dogs went through rattlesnake aversion training after that. I will see how well that sticks when things start to warm up over here.