US Reel XL Series

T
TTFishon
I'm thinking about getting this reel. Has anyone used this reel before?

T
The Nothing
I have the 240XL and it's a decent reel - especially when you can find it at Big5 for $40! The drag is really touchy, it'll go from not enough, to way to much in just a slight turn of the knob. I have also found that if you spool it with braid, and don't keep a close eye on things, it'll become a nightmare! Braided line, for some reason, can start spooling up on the drag knob, and the moment you notice it happen, its too late and you've got a HUGE mess on your hands. It does feed line very well on casting, and pickup is pretty quick (when its not wrapped up). I use it primarily for trolling and even some saltwater jigging. If I get around to filling the extra spool with the 12# test BioLine I have, I'd enjoy it more.

T
TTFishon
The Nothing said:
I have the 240XL and it's a decent reel - especially when you can find it at Big5 for $40! The drag is really touchy, it'll go from not enough, to way to much in just a slight turn of the knob. I have also found that if you spool it with braid, and don't keep a close eye on things, it'll become a nightmare! Braided line, for some reason, can start spooling up on the drag knob, and the moment you notice it happen, its too late and you've got a HUGE mess on your hands. It does feed line very well on casting, and pickup is pretty quick (when its not wrapped up). I use it primarily for trolling and even some saltwater jigging. If I get around to filling the extra spool with the 12# test BioLine I have, I'd enjoy it more.

Well, I went ahead and bought it from Big 5 for $29.00. Mines the 230 XL. I'm sure the size is probably the only difference but we'll see. I couldn't pass it up for $29.00.

T
The Nothing
killer deal. the only thing the 230 doesn't have is a sealed drag. I dunno why that was left out because the 240 and the smaller one both have sealed drags...

T
TTFishon
Weird. It's going to be my bass spin fishing reel. I'll see how it she works this spring.

T
The Nothing
it'll be great for dropshotting and jigging for sure, i already know that much

C
colbypearson
for reels i am a shimano guy no questions or exceptions and most importantly no complaints, if you want a reel get anything if you want a dang MACHINE get a shimanoo!!! :D

T
TTFishon
colbypearson said:
for reels i am a shimano guy no questions or exceptions and most importantly no complaints, if you want a reel get anything if you want a dang MACHINE get a shimanoo!!! :D

That's usually all I buy too....Shimano, shimano, shimano, but it seems like lately I've had some not so good experiences with the Shimano reels that I have bought. So why not try something different? Big 5 is having this sale so I thought, why not, especially for the price.

C
colbypearson
im not gonna get into it but my opinion on the US reels is not so good, i have a buddy who uses one i will ask him how they are but as far as i can tell its a concept that never really caught on

T
TTFishon
colbypearson said:
im not gonna get into it but my opinion on the US reels is not so good, i have a buddy who uses one i will ask him how they are but as far as i can tell its a concept that never really caught on

Well for $29.00 dollars how can I go wrong? Of course if I keep losing big fish because of a drag problem that will definitely be a deal breaker for sure. lol

C
colbypearson
TTFishon said:
Well for $29.00 dollars how can I go wrong? Of course if I keep losing big fish because of a drag problem that will definitely be a deal breaker for sure. lol

whats your main target species it will be for??

T
TTFishon
colbypearson said:
whats your main target species it will be for??

Fisrt I'll try it on bass and then I'll go from there. I might try it on Wickiup browns too though before bass season kicks in.