Upper Wilson river steelhead?

C
cookshot
Never fished the Wilson for steelhead, but a couple buddies and me went to hole 21 to at least get a line in the water. Then this guy showed up and said he had caught 2 at the bait shop hole already and didn't think steelhead got as high as hole 21.
My first though was obviously that he was full of it, steelhead go WAY up river to spawn, why wouldn't they get up that high? But I'm curious if I am an idiot for fishing that hole for steelies. Input?

W
waco
They go up there and even higher i havent catch any but seen people catching!!!

C
cookshot
Glad I'm not crazy

B
beaverfan
You are totally not crazy, sounds like the other guy is full of it.

M
meluvtrout
I think he's referring to the old guide shop, and no they do come up to 21 and further up and yes he is full of it. What was he doing there then, sight seeing?

M
markasd
Thats just a local tactic - keeps a lot of folks from meandering up! Gets in your head that "gee - prolly not many fish up here"... then more pressure on the lower river water freeing the upper reaches for dude..
just a thought?

M
metalfisher76
FULL of it! my vote!!!

C
cookshot
meluvtrout said:
I think he's referring to the old guide shop, and no they do come up to 21 and further up and yes he is full of it. What was he doing there then, sight seeing?

Yeah he was talking about the guide shop I think. Hopefully next time I'll get some proof that he was wrong!

B
beaverfan
Well you got a pretty good shot at one, there were quite a few around the other day.

G
GoldFishSlayer
classic case of the guy showing up to a hole and reporting they are biting like crazy at another hole....think about it if they are biting like crazy somewhere else then why the heck is he at the same hole you are??? I love it when people try that move cause my immediate question is always why are you here if you know the fish are not?

W
waco
Thats old!!! i remember one time was fishing with my friend in one spot and a guy came and told us that there was a lot of fish in the upper hole so i asked him why you didn't get them, he said i just didn't want to scare the fish, if i get one the other fish will go away!!! B.S. Who does that!!! :rolleyes: