Upper Willamette River Sturgeon

J
John B
Although I fish below the Oregon City Falls quite successfully, I found this forum while researching the upper river Sturgeon fisherie. I have heard stories
for years about Sturgeon monsters on the upper river but until now never fully investagated the possabilities. Has anyone here in this forum ever caught a Sturgeon of any size between Harrisburg and albany ? How about the Buena Vista area ? I want to here from someone in the know.

Last edited by a moderator:
B
beaverfan
I have had lots of luck in the Willy by Newberg and just downstream from where the Yamhill dumps in. Never fished above there but will try later this winter hopefully.

B
Bfishin
I know of them getting hooked @ Dexter. Guys fishing for Springers will even accidentally hook up every now and then. I found a dead one at Clearwater park in Springfield/Thurston area.

R
rainman
I sturgeon fish out of Buena Vista. There's several good holes there. Only caught shakers so far, but there are a few oversize in there. Watched a guy once fighting one, saw it jump several times(it was huge), and it darn near spooled him.

F
fishhunter
In talking to some people and the game warden (osp). Harrisburg has many oversized sturgeon.I have never tried.

J
John B
Thank you to everyone who has given information on upper river sturgeon.
I'am compiling info, please keep info comming. Again Thanks.

L
leach laker
Hole not far from Irish Bend (n. of Harrisburg)

Hole not far from Irish Bend (n. of Harrisburg)

I have heard rumors of a hole somewhere near Irish Bend. If you are not familiar with Irish Bend, it is a few bends in the Willamette North of Harrisburg. There is an undeveloped 'park' on the Benton County side. I think there is sporadic bank access on both sides.

If I recall correctly, the hole is a mile or two North of the Irish Bend area and is productive but holds nothing big.

Anyone heard of this? Have more detailed directions? Bank Access?