Upper Sandy River

F
flytrekker1007
I'm very interested in fishing the upper Sandy River. I have heard that if you go up so far that they are all wild fish. I'm not sure how far up people are referring to. I don't care if I don't get to catch any hatchery fish, I just like to fish in areas where there aren't a ton of people. Usually these areas have a lot of wild fish and less hatchery fish. So does anyone know above what section of the sandy this could be?

F
Finz
I would say that any water above the old Marmot dam .
i have only caught one hatchery fish above there.

O
OH3Sticks
Above Cedar Creek, which is where the hatchery fish go to. You might try your luck near the mouth of the salmon river.

F
flytrekker1007
Gotcha, does the water get quite a bit smaller up there? I'm used to fishing the upper siletz and alsea. For some reason I prefer that size of river, and I seem to be able to read those waters better. I just hate the drive and gas. So if I can find somewhere around my house that I really enjoy, I rather do that and learn new water.

O
OH3Sticks
Not sure of the size of those rivers you mentioned but up near my friends "spot" below the mouth where we fish for late spingers it's about 20-30 yards wide. We drift fish, lots of boulders but some a good variety of water around there, I'm sure there are sections of water that's suited for swinging a fly. Guessing that's what you're doing cuz of your name ;)

F
flytrekker1007
I gear fish as well as fly fish. I took up swinging flies last winter with good success. I just wanted more of a challenge, kinda like going from hunting with a rifle to archery. But I like to go to areas where there's not a lot of people, both for me and them. It's annoying when a guy is swinging flies next to people gear fishing. Anyway, 20-30 yards is a perfect size. I need to just look at a map and find access. Someone said some road, Lolo pass or something. Heard of it?

O
OH3Sticks
Lolo Pass is above the mouth of the salmon, and unfortunately will be closed to all salmon and steelhead fishing, just read the 2014 regs to make sure. So your best bet will be above the old marmot dam site to the mouth of the salmon. Most will be focus on the water below Cedar Creek since that's where the hatchery fish return.