Upper Sandy dead dead dead

F
fantacmet
Went out yesterday morning and stayed until about 4:00PM. Lots of guys came and lots of guys went, I was up around dodge and garbage hole.

Different setups, fly, spinning, casting.

Different techniques, eggs, sand and coon shrimp, soft baits, hardware, light, heavy, every color under the rainbow, corkies, yarn, scents.

One small pontoon boat, with 2 guys fishing all day, got a single fish, but refused to say what they were using. ODFW was down there, they had received no reports of anything caught for a couple of days around there.

I heard the bite was on, but either a few someones were pulling my leg or more likely the fish fell asleep, for a few days and will start raging biting once I return to work. Those bastiches seem to know when I go to work. :(

Even reports fro cedar creek were of squat.

For those who don't look at post date, yesterday was Feb 10th.

E
EastcoastConvert
I spent all morning around Didge today. Saw a couple roll but of the 6-7 people out there nobody had a single hit. Triend spinners, floating jigs, pink worms etc. but nada. Let's hope it picks up or maybe I just suck :)

M
mccarrel
Went up a little bit higher and got two, one on the first cast. Jigs at dawn can work when the water is clear.

B
BobbiDollPDX
fantacmet said:
One small pontoon boat, with 2 guys fishing all day, got a single fish, but refused to say what they were using.

That might have been Ed Fast's boat. He got tagged on Facebook in pic by a client who pulled in a nate yesterday. I heard he'd been killing them the couple of days before that and saw quite a few pics on Facebook to back that up.

S
Silvers&Steelies
Last week it was on fire. Wednesday I saw 7 fish landed including mine. I told my friend I caught it in our good fishing hole and saw 2 guys there that got 5 while I was there. He went on Thursday-Saturday and it was dead. One of those you should have been there yesterday moments. Last Wednesday was prime conditions after a good rain and water was clear. My friend also talked to a fish counter that had been sitting in the parking lot and he only saw 2 pulled out on Thursday.

F
fantacmet
I'm not sure who Ed Fast is, but this boat had bright blue pontoons on it. He was also smart enough when he passed to come right in close to the bank instead of over the hole like the rest of the pontooners did, so whoever it was, the guy had some class too.

M
mccarrel
Sounds like his boat. Ed Fast is a super classy guide, really knows the river and leaves water to the bank fisherman. I learned a lot after taking a trip with him.
fantacmet said:
I'm not sure who Ed Fast is, but this boat had bright blue pontoons on it. He was also smart enough when he passed to come right in close to the bank instead of over the hole like the rest of the pontooners did, so whoever it was, the guy had some class too.

F
fantacmet
I had a good experience with Jack today on the lower sandy. As he drifted through with his clients past the hole I was fishing, one of them pulled in a nice fish. They stayed in the hole for awhile and we chatted a bit whenever he went by. He told his clients to be mindful of my line, and not to crowd me because I was there first, and to give me the right of way over their lines. It was hard to tell it was him at first, because he wasn't wearing his cowboy hat, but there is no mistaking that sled or that mustache of his. We cleanly fished the same hole together like for a good hour or so.

I've had so many bad experiences with guides, being a bank fisherman myself, that most have left a BAD taste in my mouth. Including one who used to go out of his way to go as fast as he could, when going by bank fisherman, come in real close and pitch the boat sideways tail end towards the bank and full throttle it. He'd make 3-5 passes then continue on his way. This was about 15-18 years ago. My very last experience with him(I was a young kid about 15 years old) he was doing this to about 12 of us lined up on the bank on the lower Sandy, I put a 4 ounch pyramid weight through the window of his boat on one of his passes.

I got quite a cheer from the other people around, and when the police showed up and took their statements, they told him if he insisted on pressing charges, they'd have to take him in too and led him a HUGE list of violations that would have cost him more then his boat did most likely. After that he largely stuck to the columbia river.

B
BobbiDollPDX
fantacmet said:

mccarrel said:
Sounds like his boat. Ed Fast is a super classy guide, really knows the river and leaves water to the bank fisherman. I learned a lot after taking a trip with him.

That was Ed, I've fished with him before and he is very respectful of other fisher peeps.

A
alm21
Hhmm, although the toon color and etiquette sounds like Ed (except he'd tell you what they caught them on), I don't think it was him. Talked with him Sunday morning and he was planning on heading to the sportsman show. The FB post was from his Saturday trip which sounded pretty good. It's hit and miss right now. Can't really predict when and where the fish are going to show up but they are coming and going. With the low clear water, I've found them holding in nontraditional steelhead water. Sounds like you did everything you could except maybe cover even more water.

H
halibuthitman
When someone tells me how their day of fishing went I usally don't repeat what ive heard, but judging by what the group of guys I talk with at least every other day have been telling me, the sandy and the clack are both well worth the effort right now, and the next 5 days or more are gonna be bead water.. gonna need your A-game- Good luck guys

F
fishsauce
fantacmet said:

Could have been me, or not. If the rower was a dorky Asian guy, then that was me. We had our one fish hanging off the back of my toon. My front seater did most of the talking, all our bites came on the pink worm. River was low, clear, and extremely pressured Sunday. We had a tough time hooking fish since there were so many other boats in front of us. Ed Fast took Sunday off. As far as passing close to the bank, I learned a lot of good things from Ed.

Last edited:
F
fantacmet
Sounds like your the right person to me. I haven't been back up there since. Don't have the gas to go that far very often, usually just lower sandy somewher ein Troutdale area. tough fishing down there from the bank. Some good hole sbut no bank angler access. I just picked up some of the worms I've seen people using. Haven't had any luck with them yet though.

M
MattZ
been out to oxbow a couple times with nothing, and all the boats who passed had zeros too. anyone catching on the sandy? I hear the odd good report amidst several zeros.

S
Silvers&Steelies
I caught mine last week before the rain came. Went Monday around cedar creek and saw them jumping in a few holes. No biters on Monday. With the Sandy I have best results switching up my jigs and worms. I usually tie on another after 12-20 casts and they usually bite on the first cast of a new jig. Last Thursday I was using different jigs and worms then threw out a spinner and got a fish on first cast. I also move around to different holes and try the same stuff.

F
fantacmet
Where are the best holes onthe lower sandy with bank access though? That's what I want to know, all the ones I knew as a kid are LONG gone, and the beach has been washed away.

N
nativefish
go to troutdale and start casting, and wait for one to swim by....... Thats one rock is the perfect place to stand.

F
fantacmet
Started on the lower og tnothing, went to garbage hole, got into one, took down then up then accross back down and shook the hook. Went to dodge for a bit, got nothing, back to garbage, still nothing. I managed to pull in aabout a 12 inch chub at Dodge. Yippy. That's about all the action. None of the boats that came in got anything either. At least the ones I saw.

M
MattZ
you hooked up, nice work.

F
fantacmet
I'm gonna go again Friday morning, but I'm gonna switch out to my long n light vintage wright mcgill rod, and go with lighter line, and try some jigs under a bobber up at garbage and dodge. So many people using 10 pound, which scares the bejeezus out of me. I've been using 20 pound big game. I've had ZERO luck with non berkely lines brekaing all the time. I think I need to get a second reel or a spare spool for my river reel as I call it.

Anyone know where I can locate a spare spool for an Abu Garcia spinning reel? It's a cardinal something I think. Came from their Bruiser combo. Decent rod but too heavy handed for steelhead I think. The reel works so much better since I rebuilt it, cleaned itup and put some good grease in it. Smooth as can be. Also dropped in a couple extra bearings.