Rivers Rogue River Fishing Reports

T
Throbbit _Shane
I met up again with Charlie Brown of Fishin The Rogue Guide Service. We were the first ones on the water except for a couple bankies sitting on the deadline. But a few boats were right behind us. We hooked up with a real nice one in the morning pulling plugs. It was a 8lb chrome bright hatchery hen! Fought real good. After that we picked up his buddy and things slowed down a lot. I then hooked up with 2 half pounders that were both fin clipped and under 16" so i didn't have to tag them :D I also caught my first cutthroat trout! all the little fish came while side drifting. Before we pulled out we got one more nice steelhead that we released, a real beautiful wild fish that took a plug. Another awesome day on the wonderful rogue river. If you want a good day of fishing contact Charlie he's a great guy!

197066_194443697260540_100000847328746_467242_8027765_n.jpg207282_194444130593830_100000847328746_467244_3528441_n.jpg

Last edited:
SciFly
SciFly
E8187D4E-9204-4C1C-A402-3B6B10512F11.png

Dry fly action has been phenomenal on the Upper Rogue. Even sleeping in, leaving Medford after lunch and fishing during lazy-man hours (1–6pm) I have landed over 20 each day. They are not picky. Throwing terrestrials almost exclusively since they float so well and are easy to see. Foam flying ant is most productive. I tie mine with Z-lon wings and sparse ginger hackle behind the head, #16-#12. Foam hoppers get lots of takes but since a large fish in this area is 11 inches most don’t get hooked. Beetle patterns work also, but much fewer takes compared to the ant. I fish the ant by itself, and the hopper with a dropper. Swapped the dropper out a couple dozen times. By FAR most productive dropper was an olive general purpose nymph with a marabou tail rather than hackle or partridge fibers. Flash ribbing, partridge legs, mylar wing case, marabou tail, any size from #10 and smaller. Got this beautiful brookie on the hopper. Amazing grab, came a full foot straight up in the air with it. Average so far is about one brookie per ten bows. Plenty of fish anywhere I have stopped above Prospect. Haven’t fished Muir tributary or above yet...haven’t needed to go that far. Plenty of fish and plenty pooped by the time I get anywhere near there.
Hope this helps you out. Enjoy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: beavis, Aervax and Admin
SciFly
SciFly
2EB91388-06E0-4935-AF89-B4D65F6E42D2.jpeg

These were the money makers. All hand tied. Will be experimenting with some smaller Letort-style hoppers on the next trip.

Reactions: beavis, Aervax, troutdude and 2 others
troutdude
troutdude
Beautiful feesh and nice lookin' bugs too!

G
Gulfstream
NICE!

Top Bottom