Upper Clackamas River Fishing?

N
nativefish
anyone ever fish above rivermill damn for trout, and i not talking about faraday lake or prometory or North fork resivor i mean like fishing the river not the resivors.

S
skunk
I do, I like it, never land monsters but I'll take what I can get being its close.

N
nativefish
good stuff, just wondering if it worth fishing. Are you fly fishing?

O
OnTheFly
I believe they stock near campgrounds such as Indian Henry.

I
Ifishforfood
they used to stock it, but i dont think they do anymore. theres pretty good fishing for wild 'bows in that area. most are in the 7-11 inch range though, but good fighters.

M
markasd
I used to fish up around Alder Flats - was wading across a tail out section, and nearly stepped on a 12 lb summer steel... SOO cool to see up there. Its been about 10 years or so, but the trout was a blast - all fly.

B
BankWalker
Small spinners work pretty well up there too love getting the aggressive fish even when they are little. Those little ten inch fish just want to attack something so bad. My wife and i just go for a drive and turn out at all the places where rocks tumble down to the river.

M
minnowmagnet
Upper Clack brookies and cuts

Upper Clack brookies and cuts

I sometimes fish way up on the Clackamas, past the turnoff to Bagby but before the turnoff to Ollalie lakes. That is a huge section of River. The slack water and log-jams produce gazillions (that means a lot) of brook trout and cutthroat. I don't typically see rainbows up that far. They are all small but they attack small spinners like nobody's business. Catch and release only, and I think the fishing heats up in July and August.
It can be fun, if you don't mind chasing minnows and trampling around through the woods. Sometimes the people camping up there emit so much gunfire you would think you are in a Bosnian war-zone!

K
Kais
a few weeks ago i went to the upper clackamas. It was raging. i think the water was too fast it most places. found one good spot and only caught tiny fish while on the fly. I think later in june or july, when the water is down, it could be a good place. But the drive to bagby is so far that i would rather throw in another 30 min or so and go to the deschutes.

N
nativefish
ya even from clackamas that drive is almost 2 hours. I have smashed on the little guys up there before, are there any other rivers besides the clack and deschutes that provide for good trout fishing near the portland area?

T
troutramp
Are there brown trout in the oak grove fork? or are there some closer? how far is Bagby from estacada?

K
Kais
Bagby from estacada is like 45 min or an hour.

But trout rivers near portland. I wish there were more

S
skunk
I'm thinking the coastal creeks for trout are almost better, specially if you get searuns in. If I want any trout of size, its the big D, metolius or mckenzie that I save up for. The others I just go out to get away from it all, if I never see a fish I'm still not at work, on the couch, in the yard, or in the car :). If i'm out in the clack area, its really about just being in the wilderness that I crave. Fishing is just something to do while i'm there. Standing in the water, drifting a fly, and letting the mind go is just too good to pass up on a afternoon. Specially if my boy is along. Good times.

T
troutramp
coastal creeks would be interesting. I have caught some sea run cutties. do they ever take dries?

G
GDBrown
The first time I went to the OFF hole below Faraday dam I took my fly rod and caught a bunch of trout. C&R was all I was doing but it was a nice break from tossing for something I never caught! I got some really funny looks from the guys who were steelhead fishing! I think Ninja was there that day.

S
skunk
I did get a nice 14 from below carver this fall fishing for steel. Surprised me, and back it went. They are in there, just not many.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutramp said:
coastal creeks would be interesting. I have caught some sea run cutties. do they ever take dries?

reverse spider or a stimulator would work on sea runs. ive also seen people get them on elk hair caddis,goddard caddis. fish the wilson in september right at the beginning of fall chinook season. most coastal rivers get good groups of sea runs in september. ive caught some biguns. not on the wilson though lol. ive heard casting near structure and drop offs or oyster beds and stuff like that in tidewaters with streamers or just tossing dries produces very well.

T
troutramp
What is considered a big sea run cuttie? this sept I will be back in school in AZ but when I fly up in oct i will certainly be fishing for them.

T
TheFishingHex
Fished the upper clack this last weekend. just with some rooster tails and didn't even get a nibble.

N
nativefish
I got into quiet a few pretty big trout this winter on the clack. Is there some kind of push of trout up the clack during that time of year?