Uncle Josh pork frogs for bass?

Fummus
Fummus
So I was wondering if anyone still uses Uncle Josh pork frogs for bass. I remember back in the day, a pork frog with a Johnson's silver minnow spoon was quite the combo. I wasn't even sure if either of those products were made anymore, but did find some online for slightly less money than say a lightly used kidney, or basically functional liver. Would be interested in acquiring a couple of jars of pork frogs and a couple of spoons if I could do it without having to hawk one of my kids...well...actually depending on the day and which kid we were talking about ....NO no no, Jimmy the cricket is standing on my shoulder beating me with his umbrela and screaming about bad parenting. Of course crickets do make dandy bluegill bait.....(shuffles off mumbling to self about ethics and contemplating moral quandaries...)

bass
bass
I still carry and sometimes use Uncle Josh pork frogs. In colder weather their action is much better than soft plastic. I am not sure if they are made any more or not but I have a precious few jars I still carry. I liked the green and white on a silver Silver Minnow, I love that same pork frog on a weighted weedless hook as a stealth presentation in clear, shallow weedy water, and I love the blue/black and crayfish colors as jig'n'pig trailers in colder water.

I think I have one jar of each left. I did google pork frogs and it looks like a company called Acme tackle (seriously not the same as from the roadrunner commercials) still carries and sells them. Looks like they are $11.99 a jar. I have never tried those but they look to be about right.

I also know that Cabelas sells the Johnson Silver minnows. I never looked at the price but I would assume it is not outageous. I am surprised that with all the popularity of frog fishing on the bass pro circuit that nobody every throws a Silver Minnow - probably because they don't sponsor anyone :)

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
Fummus
Fummus
OK, looks like Amazon has Uncle Josh pork frogs for right at $14.00 a jar and three frogs in each jar, so...just under $5.00 per frog ($4.66 to be precise). If the action were comparable, probably cheaper to pitch pork chops instead. As for hooking a pork frog on a weedless hook, a friend of mine in high school used to do that at a neighborhood pond. He'd land it on top of the weeds and then slowly drag it off the edge and let it sink. Didn't often make it to the bottom with out being hit. Amazon also has Berkley Johnson Silver Minnow spoons in various sizes and colors for anywhere from $7.66 to $12.40 each.
https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Silv...+spoon&qid=1611602127&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-1
https://www.amazon.com/Pork-Frog-Gr...611602488&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2&tag=mh0b-20
I'm guessing your correct about the correlation between the lack of sponsors and silver minnows on the pro circuit.
"So Bobby, why'd you choose to fish with the bass whacker 2000 articulated silicon crank worm in the tournament today?"
"Well Stew, I knew that with the current barometric pressure and solunar table and graph predictions, combined with the pH of the water and the unbeatable undulations of the Bass Whacker 2000 crank worms, there'd be no way any self respecting bucket mouth could resist a proper presentation. Had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that they threw obscenely large amounts of money at me, to slap their stickers all over my boat and catch fish with their lures on TV." ;)

Top Bottom