Umpqua sturgeon

N
nwkiller
does anyone have any zones or tips they want to share? be really appreciated, thanks

T
Throbbit _Shane
can u fish for them on the bank there?

N
nwkiller
well the upmqua has limited bank access in the winter, the summer levels make a lot of rocks show so u can hike out on them...the sturgeon spots im gunning for are down in tide water which is big river, im sure you can get them from the bank but better in boat....

M
mosd
when springer fishing down there ive seen sturgeon leap outta the water just below the hwy 101 bridge as well as near that island that all the cormorants crap on, its best to be up river from where the smith dumps into cause theres a lot of seals that rest on a sand bar right across from the smith, so anything upriver

T
Throbbit _Shane
nwkiller said:
well the upmqua has limited bank access in the winter, the summer levels make a lot of rocks show so u can hike out on them...the sturgeon spots im gunning for are down in tide water which is big river, im sure you can get them from the bank but better in boat....

thanks! if you ever have open seat on the umpqua let me know!

N
nwkiller
thanks mosd, i swear you always come through with good info, thanks, ill give it a shot, and post what happens...

TS, right now im boating with a freind, but as soon as i get my boat, if i have an open seat i will defenetly hit u up!!

M
mikeredding
Where can you launch a boat down there?

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
There is a boat ramp just above Hwy 101, I dont have the specifics, but its pretty easy to find, you can see the bridge from the put-in. And I dont think it costs any money.

M
mosd
theres a primitive boat launch on the smith river, if you are coming from gardner, you cross the smith river and its the big pull out on your left hand side. your only a 1/2 mile from where the smith dumps into the umpqua, an or you can put in at reedsport, the launch is down on the bay front there. what street i dunno, if you look on google maps you can see the launch there in reedsport

N
nwkiller
theres a boat ramp above mill crk, and one just above the elk reserve

M
mikeredding
Thanks everybody. Do you know of any catching going on in that area?

N
nwkiller
i havent heard anything...

M
mikeredding
I haven't ever fished for them but what I hear is they are active when the salmon are running. I guess because they feed on the spawned out fish?

N
nwkiller
ya theres a run of shad they chase too

M
mikeredding
nwkiller said:
ya theres a run of shad they chase too

That sounds fun too! I've never done the shad thing but I hear it is a blast.