Umpqua springers

M
mikeredding
I am looking for information about the spring run on the Umpqua. I am hoping to troll some cut plugs down in the Reedsport area but have never fished down that low and have no idea when the fish will be there. Any help will be appreciated.:D

S
SantiamDrifter
Get ready now! Not to much longer and your'll be seeing pictures of ump springers. I know the rouge is already producing some. I would think after this next batch of rain there should be a few hangin in the lower river. But for fishing the bay/tide you could most likely get after them now. I dont want to say its good, but I dont think you'd be wasting your time either.

M
mikeredding
Cool. Have you fished the stretch from the bay to Reedsport?

C
Chedster
We fish that stretch a lot for fall chinook but springers seem to be a more upriver fishery. I have not been down that far to see if people do in fact troll the reedsport area in the spring. You should see plenty of boats anchored at scottsburg this spring though.

M
mikeredding
Chedster said:
We fish that stretch a lot for fall chinook but springers seem to be a more upriver fishery. I have not been down that far to see if people do in fact troll the reedsport area in the spring. You should see plenty of boats anchored at scottsburg this spring though.

Why would it be any different for spring or fall? Water flows maybe?

S
Santiam338
I am guessing water temperature...No need in the spring for fish to wait in the bay for cooler temperatures,just shoot up..

M
mikeredding
That's what I was thinking. But if you are there when they come through, FISH ON!

M
Mad dog
Santiam338 said:
I am guessing water temperature...No need in the spring for fish to wait in the bay for cooler temperatures,just shoot up..

That, plus water clarity, it will probably be mid may before the Main clears up! The rain just keeps coming!

M
mikeredding
I didn't think of clarity. Yeah it will definitely be murky after this week!!

T
Thuggin4Life
I tried to get to the bottom of this last spring. not a tidewater fishery. so trollings out. most anchor up in the main and plunk. or fish stantard bank gear from the boat. thats why i went to the columbia last year and continue to do so this year.

R
rippin fish lips
we are thinkin bout makin a springer trip to the umqua, we are plannin on going sometime in the 2nd week of april? what do you guys think? never been springer trolling/fishing before. We were thinkin of trolling some cut plug herring, maybe sardines

T
Thuggin4Life
Dont do it on the umpqua waste of time. head op to the clumbia or even the lower willy if its clear.

C
Chedster
Ya totally a waste of time head north! :D

D
deejay
I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but nobody trolls it's all anchor spinner and anchovie but if you don't know the slots it can be rough the majority of the fish are caught in a 4 to 6 foot window

R
rippin fish lips
i know i wouldnt be wasting my time :p there is fish in there to be caught just not many yet. With a good plan set im sure we have a really good chance to hook on to some. i was thinkin of plunkin some spinners and some spin and glows with maybe some roe/sandshrimp on the end. i dont know the slots =/ but i am going to search and search and search and search until i find those damn fish!! :D

Does anyone have any tips as for spots/slots to look for? should we focus more towards the mouth in the bay, or go in towards reedsport more??

C
Chedster
You will find that most people are launching further upriver. Reedsport is the place to be when fishing for fall chinook but not springers. The water volume is much larger and colder in the spring so the springers blast through it quickly. But it could never hurt to go and troll around to see if you find any fish. If you launch upriver and are running a prop make sure and take her slow to avoid rocks. Find a river bend about 6-8' deep and kick back and wait for the fish to come to you. It can be incredibly boring sitting and waiting so bring beer and good company :D.

R
Razz
deejay said:
I wouldn't say it's a waste of time but nobody trolls it's all anchor spinner and anchovie but if you don't know the slots it can be rough the majority of the fish are caught in a 4 to 6 foot window

20 Years ago they said the same thing on the Hoh about flat-fish and cut plug on the Klamath. Sardine's will never work on the Elk for fall salmon.

D
deejay
The best way to find the slots is find the boats with the red sticker on the back plot there cordinance on a gps or just anchor right in front of them

M
mikeredding
deejay said:
boats with the red sticker on the back
What sticker?? Am I missing something here?

C
Chedster
I'm guessing he means guide boats.