Umpqua River smallmouth bass fishing

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I'll be posting Umpqua reports here unless it's something special like Big K, but for the most part this will be public launches along the south and the main. Feel free to join and post!

4 of us kayak fished from River Forks yesterday 2pm-6pm, and caught 1 trout!

The water was high and dirty, not murky, just dirty with debris.

It was also probably the roughest I've seen it, the wind was ripping up the main and white capping any turbulent flow, wind would die for a few minutes and it would be really nice, then get ugly as the next front came.

Not a single smallmouth, but I've seen multiple reports of 20lb+ 5fish bags within the last week. So I know they are out there
b9cf81ad51dc7140010c92a16b148439.jpg
b213cb315620920f85b50fb7f28c5b1f.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
Admin
Admin
What depth is there? It looks quite deep.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Admin said:
What depth is there? It looks quite deep.
Main river im not too sure, I would imagine 20-30 depending on water height

We were averaging 15ish on the south drain

Reactions: Admin
Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Thanks for keeping info flowing - used to live over there - now have to rely on reports on temp and height - from Bend area - but still like to come over and drift the Umpqua...thanks again

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
No problem.Waiting to get a sonar unit, then I can report more accurately the temps at least.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
2 small fish yesterday from Umpqua Landing

I launched underneath the bridge and went upstream to the first bend, water is still high compared to Google Earth, I didn't have to stick in the channel, but didn't want to risk hitting the motor anywhere
93a0653e891e649b5ea9e79162099aa9.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
I was fishing around a couple bass fishermen yesterday. They didn't get a lot but at least one was 4lbs.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
I was fishing around a couple bass fishermen yesterday. They didn't get a lot but at least one was 4lbs.
What section if you don't mind me asking? Did I miss you at river forks?

Personally I've been eliminating water, I have seen 20lb+ 5 fish limits pulled multiple times within the last few weeks

I have an idea of where, next weekend will decide it for sure

jamisonace
jamisonace
I better not say. These guys are hardcore bass guys and have searched a long time for this spot. They were the only bass fishermen I saw all day on that section. I will say they are in a camo print drift boat and you'll see them on the water. You should introduce yourself. The guys name is Doug and super friendly. Also, you wouldn't make it to this location in a kayak. Lots of big rapids that need to navigated in a drift boat.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Launched at river forks and went downstream to leatherwood

7 smallmouth in total, the biggest was 3lbs 15oz. Pretty decent size to all of them though

All on a Ned

Also saw an extremely poor looking zombie salmon at the surface, just barely kicking along upright
4ecb39081e1bcacd51abb743a8867b1d.jpg
3c3407e2b41f3b48ecb835e061941d03.jpg
942edfc7c1cebb2468de50db2f245e58.jpg
b27d826f0729c26855acffc2538fe8b4.jpg
e999b445e6eea169cfcf36d9301e4ea5.jpg
36ef560d06330f4d507807712c1df391.jpg
0b1671986b6c2874296a0fa49221c7c4.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
jamisonace
jamisonace
You floated through to Leatherwood? Those yaks are more capable of rapids than I thought.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
You floated through to Leatherwood? Those yaks are more capable of rapids than I thought.
I floated from the river forks ramp down to leatherwood. Would have been an even easier drift without a trolling motor to worry about. Definitely wouldn't be fun without polarized glasses

But then again the river is still a couple feet higher than summer levels (from what I remember last year)

Next week I'll probably focus on leatherwood and Cleveland. I don't think I could make it down garden valley

Maybe in the summer without a trolling motor, just incase!

jamisonace
jamisonace
Ah, i see what you mean.

The map has Cleveland Rapids labeled as Leatherwood. Leatherwood is actually the first rapid above Umpqua Landing.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
Ah, i see what you mean.

The map has Cleveland Rapids labeled as Leatherwood. Leatherwood is actually the first rapid above Umpqua Landing.
Oh no way I'd make it that far lol, there's definitely some tight spots mixed in there

Mine has leatherwood right above Cleveland

Wonder who labels them
1a758ed8f3aecbaa628dd89ddc4f8072.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
It's been mislabeled forever.

O
Oregunner
I have been reading here for a while, but just joined. I fish the main Umpqua, mainly for bass in my driftboat, but don't shuttle. I fish River Forks and Umpqua Landing. I haven't found any good resources, labeling the rapids on the main river. I know that Cleveland rapids is downstream from the forks, and Leatherwood is up stream from Umpqua Landing. Hutton is in there somewhere and so is Crow. I think Hutton is above Leatherwood, and Crow is below Umpqua Landing, but am not sure. Ferguson and Yellow Creek are further down. I have caught smallmouth from the Forks to the top of the tidewater at Scottsburg. Fun fishery, and close to home. I get tired of not catching steelhead. :)

Reactions: Admin and NKlamerus
jamisonace
jamisonace
Here's the order from Forks to Umpqua

Cleveland
Hutton
Crow
Leatherwood

There are other rapids but I've never heard their names.

There is good bass water above Leatherwood.
It would be worth it to learn the float from Forks to Umpqua for sure. When I take the kids for bass we float from either Umpqua to James Wood or James Wood to Osprey. The farther we get from the ramp the better the fishing by far.

Reactions: NKlamerus, Admin and Oregunner
J
JMak97008
Former Michigan Lake St Clair smallmouth fisherman who is just now getting into chasing smallies around Oregon. Thinking of taking my boys down to camp at Tyee Campground the weekend of May 20th. I am wondering if I'll be near some solid bank fishing spots and how the timing might be? Thanks in advance.

Vintageflyguy
Vintageflyguy
Not sure the name but, up river from the bridge at Tyee on the far side (across from restaurant) is a launch about 1 mile upstream (kinda dim road but should work for a kid outing if the river is the right level....I'm a sucker for taking a kid out

J
JMak97008
Brad said:
Not sure the name but, up river from the bridge at Tyee on the far side (across from restaurant) is a launch about 1 mile upstream (kinda dim road but should work for a kid outing if the river is the right level....I'm a sucker for taking a kid out
Thanks! My boys are 13 and 15, so not very young, but adventuresome and willing to get dirty, so Im willing to do some crawling around the banks to find spots.

After doing some more reading, seems Im at the tail end of spring fishing in mid-May and might right after spwaning where the females are still recovering. Maybe Ill try to get out sooner...