Umpqua River

G
gtnwild
Hey I am new to the site but wanted to say hello We have been doing pretty well on the Main Umpua but most fish have been native. We have several videos on you tube from fishin the Umpqua if you have time take a look search talkfishin on youtube. Also wanted to let people know my 3 year old got his first winter steelhead on Sunday wow what a proud moment.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Starting the youngster OFF right...

Starting the youngster OFF right...

gtnwild said:
Hey I am new to the site but wanted to say hello We have been doing pretty well on the Main Umpua but most fish have been native. We have several videos on you tube from fishin the Umpqua if you have time take a look search talkfishin on youtube. Also wanted to let people know my 3 year old got his first winter steelhead on Sunday wow what a proud moment.

gtnwild;
Welcome to the friendliest fishing forum in the whole country,maybe the whole world! We love seeing new members sign up and get on any of the threads right away. Haven't had a chance to check out the videos yet but I'm sure they will be checked out soon. Having another member that is familiar with a particular waterway is definitely a plus.
I bet you were popping the buttons OFF your shirt when your young'un brought that fish to the bank! He is ahead of more than a few of our members,he's tied with me...tell him we said congratulations! That is the best way to grow up together,stay at it with him. Again,welcome and be safe.
Barb

N
ninja2010
gtnwild said:

welcome, gtnwild!

i'll be checking out your videos. thanks for sharing. and your 3-yr old... he's wayyyy ahead of me by about, oh, say 40 years? i have yet to hook a steelhead, let alone land one. :(

enjoy yourself on this board... looking forward to some more reports, with pix and vids. yeah.

G
gtnwild
Here is a couple of pics one of my son and one of my dad and Jayce's fish

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

Nice to have you on board, very nice pictures. Very cool for your son to climb that Steelhead ladder so young in life..again welcome gtnwild and tight lines to you.

Chuck

B
Brokenrod
Ouch

Ouch

Hey it's great to see you here. That is one beautiful steelhead, but in the future (and for the fish's future) could you cradle the belly and not put your fingers up into the gill are. It's much better for the survival of any fish being released. If it were a salmon that was just headed up to kick the bucket, well, it wouldn't be a big deal. That little metal-head has two or three more trips to make past your fishing spot.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The beginning of this month marked my 20th aniversarry...Of my first Winter Steelhead catch. My first ever Salmon or Steelhead actually. And the funny thing was, I took one handoff from my dad, and whacked the first one, but I actually made the cast, that landed me my first, no more than a half hour after takin the handoff. Very cool, keep him interested if he seems to take a liking, and continues to enjoy it. And yeah, stickin fingers in gills is kind of like stickin a couple fingers in our noses, and a couple more in our mouth, but if it was released, I'm sure it went no worse for the wear. It looked very fresh, and if it was still consious, probably full of piss, and vinegar. I don't know the regs. down there, I don't know if there is a fin fish retention deal. Pretty sure fins get the kick back tho... Either way, your son can only go farhter into the game from here! Congrats to your son man.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
The beginning of this month marked my 20th aniversarry...Of my first Winter Steelhead catch. My first ever Salmon or Steelhead actually. And the funny thing was, I took one handoff from my dad, and whacked the first one, but I actually made the cast, that landed me my first, no more than a half hour after takin the handoff. Very cool, keep him interested if he seems to take a liking, and continues to enjoy it. And yeah, stickin fingers in gills is kind of like stickin a couple fingers in our noses, and a couple more in our mouth, but if it was released, I'm sure it went no worse for the wear. It looked very fresh, and if it was still consious, probably full of piss, and vinegar. I don't know the regs. down there, I don't know if there is a fin fish retention deal. Pretty sure fins get the kick back tho... Either way, your son can only go farhter into the game from here! Congrats to your son man.

Im jealous... you caught your first steelhead when you were 3...

O, forgot to say welcome... Welcome!

G
GoDucks1
gtnwild,
Can you recommend a couple of solid spots on the Umpqua for winter steel bank fishing? I'm just getting into this and am trying to find some solid spots not too far from Eugene.

Thanks,
Go Ducks

S
susqwahanna
Start at Glide and work your way up to the deadline. Post Office hole, Narrows, the island, the log hole, Rock Creek hole on both sides all provide ample opportunity. Please respect the river and pack out what you pack in.

S
specialk0082
is the river pontoonable?????????????

M
MontanaMoose
Toonin' the Umpqua...

Toonin' the Umpqua...

Hello specialk, did you have a particular part
of the Umpqua in mind?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
specialk0082
MontanaMoose said:
Hello specialk, did you have a particular part
of the Umpqua in mind?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
kinda, i would like to fishe kinda near my house.I live in goshen, i'v been to sutherland area before and fished it on the bank, but want to fish with my pontoon but dont know that area good enough, so ill go where ever i have to go, where ever the best spot for small mouth bass and my one person pontoon,any ideas thanx

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Mighty Umpqua...

Mighty Umpqua...

specialk0082 said:
kinda, i would like to fishe kinda near my house.I live in goshen, i'v been to sutherland area before and fished it on the bank, but want to fish with my pontoon but dont know that area good enough, so ill go where ever i have to go, where ever the best spot for small mouth bass and my one person pontoon,any ideas thanx

You should contack GraphiteZen he is our local river runner, at least on that river. I can't tell you where to go, but I can tell you where not to...

Chuck

S
specialk0082
Troutski said:
You should contack GraphiteZen he is our local river runner, at least on that river. I can't tell you where to go, but I can tell you where not to...

Chuck
thanks troutski, what part do i not want to be in lol dont wana get cought with my pants down lol,do u fish the umpqua if so where so u go ???????????

Last edited:
M
MontanaMoose
Umpqua near town...

Umpqua near town...

Hey specialk, I waited a while so you'd get some
replies and you've got some good advice...if you
just want to noodle around without having to have
a pickup vehicle, you could go to River Forks Park
and you'd be in position to fish the mouth of the
North Fork, the mouth of the South Fork and also
the beginning of the main stem Umpqua and you'd
be able to launch easily at the boat ramp, row around and fish.

Steel head are moving through still I believe. Hope this helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

B
Backcastwards
Mooseman is right. Quite a few steehead coming through and the spring chinooks are beginning to show. Careful though, if you hook a big springer whilst riding your toon. You could be towed a long way.:shock:
Gary

S
specialk0082
MontanaMoose said:
Hey specialk, I waited a while so you'd get some
replies and you've got some good advice...if you
just want to noodle around without having to have
a pickup vehicle, you could go to River Forks Park
and you'd be in position to fish the mouth of the
North Fork, the mouth of the South Fork and also
the beginning of the main stem Umpqua and you'd
be able to launch easily at the boat ramp, row around and fish.

Steel head are moving through still I believe. Hope this helps !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
thanx montanamoose

M
MontanaMoose
Goin' upriver...

Goin' upriver...

I'll head up the North from town here in an hour or so...anyone want to meet up, I'll watch the thread till I go out the door. I'll be up in the flywater and i drive a small yellow four door GM product plus if the sun stays out I'll be the one with the funny straw hat.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Troutski
Troutski
The Yellowknife take out...

The Yellowknife take out...

specialk0082 said:
thanks troutski, what part do i not want to be in lol dont wana get cought with my pants down lol,do u fish the umpqua if so where so u go ???????????

Yellow Knife take out, not sure of the place we put in but it was about a 8 hour drift...don't let me scare you off I was a true beginner at the time, my first drift....almost my last. I am sure it isn't as bad as I make it out to be - NOT....this thing is wicked:rolleyes:
Get some more advice on any run you take, great river but can be rather terrifying at times.

Chuck