Umpqua River smallmouth bass fishing

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
That's cool. I've been friends with Silver and Ferris since they moved to Springfield. I bet we've fished together 100 times. They are great.

Good idea on bigger baits. I didn't care on Saturday. Just wanted my buddy to catch a bunch of fish. He had a blast.
She might remember me, they sent me a cease and desist letter after I built a fence at the front and back of the yard

Beforehand I had homeless walking through between the highway and the neighborhood, for some reason they thought I'd be installing a plastic construction fence with stakes, that wouldn't keep the dog in let alone the local meth heads out!

Reactions: jamisonace
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Another day at forks, I stopped and bought a new rod so spent some time breaking it in.

The south is absolutely disgusting, really low and whatever water it is pumping looks like a kale smoothie, I didn't catch a single fish in that brown water. Spent some time exploring the north and further towards Cleveland

Probably 40 fish or so, had some boils on a big Swimbait but no takers.
20220806_180413.jpg
20220806_180446.jpg
20220806_163107.jpg
20220806_154638.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
O
Oregunner
I had some Alabama rigs in the Amazon shopping cart, but just couldn’t pull the trigger. Looks like casting wind chimes. Umpqua Landing boat ramp is getting really skinny. I have a basic 10’ fishing kayak in my fleet, so I launched that on Monday morning, and caught a dozen nice fish in a couple hours. Water quality was not bad. Wacky rigs on ultralight spinning gear. Paddling for a couple hours used some muscles I haven’t used for a while. 😀

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
She might remember me, they sent me a cease and desist letter after I built a fence at the front and back of the yard

Beforehand I had homeless walking through between the highway and the neighborhood, for some reason they thought I'd be installing a plastic construction fence with stakes, that wouldn't keep the dog in let alone the local meth heads out!
I fished with her last week and asked her about sending a cease a desist for a fence. She said, "Which one? We had to send them all the time." LOL

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Double whammy here, fished umpqua landing from 7am-11am and boy was it slow.

Rainy/foggy, cool, and dead still, didn't find any decent fish until we went all the way up to the first bit of current, still fish everywhere just small for the most part

Took out for lunch and went to river forks from 12-4 and did the entire run from forks to Cleveland. Water is getting slow, definitely harder to navigate down by Cleveland

It is nice to see the actual bottom off the north, better perspective for salmon season.

Couple good fish again, probably a few dozen spread out, but almost none off the south. Water is cleaner but stained, they definitely seemed to prefer the cooler clearer north/main
20220820_074145.jpg
20220820_090013.jpg
20220820_093439.jpg
20220820_134625.jpg
20220820_140142.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
E
elmucho
Oh man that makes me miss small mouth fishing up there- couple chunky ones in there! Thanks for the report - always eager to hear about what's going on on that water.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
elmucho said:
Oh man that makes me miss small mouth fishing up there- couple chunky ones in there! Thanks for the report - always eager to hear about what's going on on that water.
Some friends of mine fished Big K yesterday. It was proportionally better than fishing the main on Saturday (he was with me), but still slower than an early spring trip

If it's not too low, I say go for stuck hole, the launch is tough but there's at least a pull off at the bottom unlike power line

Reactions: elmucho
E
elmucho
NKlamerus said:
Some friends of mine fished Big K yesterday. It was proportionally better than fishing the main on Saturday (he was with me), but still slower than an early spring trip

If it's not too low, I say go for stuck hole, the launch is tough but there's at least a pull off at the bottom unlike power line
Excellent! I'll check it out for sure. I can walk my inflatable Hobie i11s down most launches - it has wheels and is light. That powerline launch would have been kinda sketch with my truck since I have camper on it - so I just parked up at the top and wheeled the yak down. Is stuck hole launch similar? I probably wouldn't drive down anything too steep even though I have 4wd.

Fish here in SD has been kinda nuts lately - the water is 70+ degrees and we've got blue and yellowfin tuna along with dorado and yellowtail just outside of the Coronado Islands - I did 72 miles in my Klamath on Saturday. Super great here.. and all I can think about is small mouth fishing in September.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
elmucho said:
Excellent! I'll check it out for sure. I can walk my inflatable Hobie i11s down most launches - it has wheels and is light. That powerline launch would have been kinda sketch with my truck since I have camper on it - so I just parked up at the top and wheeled the yak down. Is stuck hole launch similar? I probably wouldn't drive down anything too steep even though I have 4wd.

Fish here in SD has been kinda nuts lately - the water is 70+ degrees and we've got blue and yellowfin tuna along with dorado and yellowtail just outside of the Coronado Islands - I did 72 miles in my Klamath on Saturday. Super great here.. and all I can think about is small mouth fishing in September.
Stuck hole is just as steep but there's a bigger pad right about halfway down big enough to park in.

As long as it's dry you should have no issue in 4wd

The downside is the launch is also a watering hole, so there's cow poop everywhere

E
elmucho
NKlamerus said:
Stuck hole is just as steep but there's a bigger pad right about halfway down big enough to park in.

As long as it's dry you should have no issue in 4wd

The downside is the launch is also a watering hole, so there's cow poop everywhere
When I get to Waldport and have a good idea of when I can shake free from the Supreme Leader I will send you a note - maybe we can fish it together.

O
Oregunner
Fish are still active. River is typical summer frog water. Lots of moss and grass. Not much algae. We launched at 7:00 am to beat the heat, and pulled out at 10:00. My boat mate was fly fishing and I was drop shotting a senko. We were about even on fish, although I was getting bigger ones. About 50 fish in total.

O
Oregunner
Just seeing how easy it is to add a pic.

83508654-FE36-46D3-BD8F-665D67B77F55.jpeg

B
BrianG
Oregunner said:
Fish are still active. River is typical summer frog water. Lots of moss and grass. Not much algae. We launched at 7:00 am to beat the heat, and pulled out at 10:00. My boat mate was fly fishing and I was drop shotting a senko. We were about even on fish, although I was getting bigger ones. About 50 fish in total.
Mind if I ask what area were you in? I have had little luck on the South Umpqua near RB this week?

B
BrianG
What do you guys think is the top water bite done with for the year for smallies on the umpqua?

O
Oregunner
That fish was upriver from Umpqua Landing, out by Henry’s Winery. I fish from a driftboat or kayak. I haven’t tried finding bank access on the river.

O
Oregunner
I took the driftboat out yesterday morning. River hasn’t changed much. I caught 3 fish in the first 4 casts, and thought it is going to be a good day. After about a dozen fish the first hour, the wind came up, and the bite turned off. The wind pushed the driftboat all over, and after an hour without any action, I was ready to head home for lunch. No rain in the forecast until at least late next week.

E
elmucho
Oregunner said:
I took the driftboat out yesterday morning. River hasn’t changed much. I caught 3 fish in the first 4 casts, and thought it is going to be a good day. After about a dozen fish the first hour, the wind came up, and the bite turned off. The wind pushed the driftboat all over, and after an hour without any action, I was ready to head home for lunch. No rain in the forecast until at least late next week.
Thanks for the update - I'm counting the days until I'm up there!

B
BrianG
Oregunner said:
Mind if I ask what section of the river were you on and what is still working?

O
Oregunner
Umpqua Landing ramp. I go upstream to the base of Leatherwood rapids and drift back to the ramp. I fish plastic stick baits, rigged wacky, with a dropshot sinker. Change size and color, depending on the day. Ultralight spinning gear.

Reactions: NKlamerus and Vintageflyguy