Umpqua River pontoon float

T
Throbbit _Shane
Just got back from a four day float. Had a grand time with GraphiteZen.

Put this little video together of me doing the two trickiest spots on the float we do. First clip is what we call The First Drop, second clip is Smith Ferry Rapids.

The section we float is called The Big K Loop. It can be done in a day but you wont do much fishing then, a couple nights on the river is highly recommended

My boat is a 8ft Creek Company, got it a few years ago on Craigslist for $80 and iv gotten way more then my monies worth out of it!

Reactions: nativefish
W
wozniasm
:clap::clap::clap: Excellent Shane!

B
BIGBASSB8ER
Nice:clap:That looks like a lot of fun. How was the fishing?

Troutski
Troutski
Mighty Umpqua

Mighty Umpqua

I took on that river my first trip in my toon, crazy fun.... I must admit I did have a few white knuckle's by the end of the trip. Thanks for the video, great time was had by both of you I am sure..... Zen is laugh-a thon for sure.

Chuck

P7310013.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
OK that's on my bucket list for sure. Looks like a ton of fun.

J
jabs67
Looks like a heck of a good time. Awesome!!!!!!!!!

T
Throbbit _Shane
wozniasm said:
👏👏👏 Excellent Shane!
Thanks!! I actually did that first part better then Bo. He'll upload his video later, but he gets a stuck in the rapid for a moment.
BIGBASSB8ER said:
Nice:clap:That looks like a lot of fun. How was the fishing?
It is a lot of fun! :D Fishing was real good. I got a ton of Smallies and a few were nice! A few real nice Trouts that I got on a Knd Spinner. Even saw a bear!
Troutski said:
I took on that river my first trip in my toon, crazy fun.... I must admit I did have a few white knuckle's by the end of the trip. Thanks for the video, great time was had by both of you I am sure..... Zen is laugh-a thon for sure.
That was the fourth time down the Umpqua for me this year. can't get enough ! :D I went back and read that thread about your trip down it and how you sold it right away haha
Irishrover said:
OK that's on my bucket list for sure. Looks like a ton of fun.
It is a ton of fun! Fishing is great and the scenery is nice.

Troutski
Troutski
The pucker factor took its toll on me that's for sure...:redface:

Chuck

bass
bass
That is wickedly cool Shane! I got white knuckles just gripping the mouse during that video :)

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
hahahaha Chuck! I laughed SO HARD when I read your story. Good times they were.. Steelheading with Anatoliy, fishing Red Hills with you and others (including Anatoliy) Detroit lake, I have made a ton of friends here!

This was a GREAT trip! :D :D :D

L
lilsalmon
I will pass on that one....I only see disaster for me going through those rapids......I will start out on a river with a little less whitewater. Looks like you had fun tho and I am glad the platform worked out.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
lilsalmon said:
I will pass on that one....I only see disaster for me going through those rapids......I will start out on a river with a little less whitewater. Looks like you had fun tho and I am glad the platform worked out.

Chuck lived! :D

O
OnTheFly
Shane, how on earth did you make it through that white water without one of your pontoons going inverted in the frame like it did on a calm lake?;)

M
Mad dog
Nice job on the sticks guys!!! Fun stuff!!!

Shane, fish for any Chinook by chance? I know a guy guiding a little fall chinook action for the Big K this year and put 6 chromers in the boat 2 days ago!

T
Throbbit _Shane
Mad dog said:
Nice job on the sticks guys!!! Fun stuff!!!

Shane, fish for any Chinook by chance? I know a guy guiding a little fall chinook action for the Big K this year and put 6 chromers in the boat 2 days ago!

We pulled plugs and threw spinners and spoons. I actually got a smallie on a kwikfish lol. We put in at Yellow Knife and the salmon were rolling and jumping good. And we kept seeing them as we went down to Elkton. Got a few nice trout though.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Throbbit _Shane said:
Thanks!! I actually did that first part better then Bo. He'll upload his video later, but he gets a stuck in the rapid for a moment.

I didn't see this last night hehe. Yeah I blew it on the first drop but luckily my brutally brute strength got me up and over lol