Umpqua River Forks Park, smallmouth and chinook!

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Decided to sleep in and fish an evening bite as I dont work labor day, made it to the launch at River Forks Park at 230pm and fished until 6 before I decided to switch to largemouth.

It was hot and windless, saw what I thought were king salmon filleted at the ramp, which is also a fall Chinook? Just up river? And lots of bait. Didn't think anything of it.

I quickly made my way to moving water, with the heat and lack of wind I knew the fish would want something cool, the rapids just up into the south fork were perfect, I started with a spinnerbait and immediately caught the best one of the day, maybe 2lbs.

I could feel fish hitting the blades, so I switched to a Rapala shadow rap, cast after cast, fish after fish, the action was crazy. I caught 23 fish in that one spot, some small, some decent, one with a hook in it's mouth already.

I switched sides and nailed some more, but the bite died off when 4 other angler's started pitching in.

On my way back west, after catching a couple small fish and one decent boil on a baby spook, I switched back to the shadow rap to fish past the drift boats outside of the north fork flow.

First cast off the shelf of the bank and I get slammed, rod doubled over and started peeling, similar to a large redfish just off a flat in Florida. I fought it for probably 4-5 minutes before finally getting it to the side of the kayak, my first salmon. Looked pretty similar to the one at the ramp, as I was deciding what to do, she took off again and the one rear treble finally gave way, probably should have just netted it, not sure I'm legal though

By then some of the drift boats had started asking questions, I had to confirm what it was, I do not know my salmonoids at all!

Seemed to be some confusion about where the cutoff line is for the angling ban at the fork, boats were discussing it, even though people on the bank were fishing right at the point and across from it.

Retied and kept fishing, caught 2 more small fish on my way back to the ramp on the spook, I'll definitely be back to explore some more
5ec393dc93cd2e338f6ed23d1aa6e134.jpg
767165184c31019e25e4d939177b3807.jpg
e822adf09313e6615a44596775220b71.jpg
87e9e5a88bf29f78269982003aad288b.jpg
bab122169a9c9d674e94f7ee687a7b56.jpg
1f251b25057019e92cf6c19e9d6b80ea.jpg
e43cc72ce77f22b6d158c3c1de3f6abc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: troutbro, troutdude, plumbertom and 2 others
jamisonace
jamisonace
Nice nook! 3 of those are mine. LOL.

My buddy was guiding on the Umpqua on Saturday and his guest landed a chinook on a swimbait he was using for bass. Fun surprise.

Let me know when you're there and I'll meet up with you.

FYI....the south closes on the 16th I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
Nice nook! 3 of those are mine. LOL.

My buddy was guiding on the Umpqua on Saturday and his guest landed a chinook on a swimbait he was using for bass. Fun surprise.

Let me know when you're there and I'll meet up with you.

FYI....the south closes on the 16th I think.
Absolutely! Didn't know the south closed either, I'll have to take a look at the regs!

P
pcstock
Is there any decent bank fishing there?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
pcstock said:
Is there any decent bank fishing there?
There's a ton, further south from the boat ramp there's a rock bank that wraps around to the north fork

Then between the north and south, at Singleton park, there's a concrete dock and more bank access

Reactions: pcstock
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Fished the park again from about 3pm-6pm on Saturday.

Much slower fishing, little rain coming through with off/on cloud cover. Water level was a tad higher, but more importantly it was extremely dirty. Not just visibility but actual junk floating downstream, leaves, algae, plant detritus, etc....

I didn't catch a single fish with a treble hook bait, couldn't make a cast without slopping up.

13 fish on a Ned rig, nothing if any size.

I did see 3 Chinook caught, and had more rolling and jumping around me.
d69c24ee21f7d096c86dc137ee8b460e.jpg
178cedd06df6967fa737a0f39d30dac8.jpg
22b5c5a29b177513fbf4ab2d2af2f070.jpg
bbd18dd0b3a7d2c975dd34a54cb4cdb6.jpg
3d1463c502a6d187429136447d2201ee.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
jamisonace
jamisonace
I must have just missed you on Saturday. I think I left my house around 6 so I got there about 6:15. Did you check the regs for the closure on the South Umpqua. I caught a really big bass about a half mile downstream of the ramp on a salmon plug. Water definitely got dirty but from the rain.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
I must have just missed you on Saturday. I think I left my house around 6 so I got there about 6:15. Did you check the regs for the closure on the South Umpqua. I caught a really big bass about a half mile downstream of the ramp on a salmon plug. Water definitely got dirty but from the rain.
Yes kinda, is the south still open for bass? Just closed for Chinook?

I might try to head downstream tomorrow.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Pretty sure the South is completely closed until Dec. 1. I haven't looked but that's how it's always been.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
With the trolling motor I was able to float quite a ways down the main from the boat ramp.

Bite was slow, gorgeous day for fishing, terrible weather for catching, still managed about a dozen smallmouth, 2 of those being decent.

See my other post about losing my Chinook out of the net........

Salmon everywhere, rolling everywhere I went, spooked a few up on rock flats too, I could see them from pretty far with no wind and still water
9f8221f3cdbebae3c54f67a02386502b.jpg
9a358a4be220b7b69fd05e868e95ab7f.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
Good day for catching salmon too. Went 11 of 15 with these 3 hatchery fish to go. Plugs and twitching jigs did the trick. Tried a little bait too but no bites.

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Made it down to leatherwood rapids yesterday from river forks, bite didn't really pick up until 2pm, but the smallmouth eventually picked up nicely.

Mostly Ned rig, did catch my last good one on a Whopper plopper

Threw a Huddleston 68 around for a little bit and had some salmon chasing and playing with it, at some point I hooked a scale off one.
Smallmouth were pretty interested as well

Ended the day with 14 fish, all of them sitting on river rock flats in the current, they didn't want weeds or still water at all
c5a03a8e8d653496a4b0d805dfbbe14e.jpg
5a4a633797dd158f336071dfd7c0a45c.jpg
ce73895e14ce7e5d6aa7fdb758468330.jpg
fa2d7af76321342ad23829618eea256c.jpg
06d93fd44bb81479aacf9b504bdce5ec.jpg
bea29678737c5e30fcc0eeabe3a24b7f.jpg

jamisonace
jamisonace
We're the coho still all over in there?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
jamisonace said:
We're the coho still all over in there?
Absolutely, I think I saw every color imaginable at some point in the day.

Lots of rolling, breaching, and full acrobatic jumps

C
Clbagshaw
Figured i would share this with you all pretty interesting.
UMPQUA.PNG

Reactions: Snopro
jamisonace
jamisonace
C
Clbagshaw
jamisonace said:
Whoa....that would be awesome if we got a humpy run on the Umpqua.
I am guessing its a solo one that got confused and went up the wrong river. It would be pretty cool to get a humpy run on the umpqua though.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Clbagshaw said:
I am guessing its a solo one that got confused and went up the wrong river. It would be pretty cool to get a humpy run on the umpqua though.
I'm thinking it was one of a spawning pair pioneer that is here to colonize a new world.

C
Clbagshaw
jamisonace said:
I'm thinking it was one of two spawning pair pioneers that are here to colonize a new world.
I hope so.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Clbagshaw said:
I hope so.
Those humpy runs are prolific. I was in Alaska during a humpy run and they were literally in the run off drains on the side of the street. The creek was so full they were stacked side by side like firewood all the way across.

Top Bottom