Umpqua angling clarifications

troutdude
troutdude
ODFW clarifies South and North Umpqua angling regulations

Thursday, February 25, 2016

ROSEBURG, Ore – Umpqua Basin angling is in full swing and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is explaining several rules that currently apply. Below are clarifications of these rules which are in the print version of the regulations.

All regulations are being clarified online, and anglers should check the ODFW website before heading out.

South Umpqua River

Use of bait is allowed.
Tributary information is mistakenly listed under South Fork Coquille.

North Umpqua River

Anti-snagging gear restriction on the North Umpqua River--extends from Lone Rock Boat Launch to the painted line upstream of Rock Creek.
The Salmon/Steelhead Bobber Rule on page 12 of the regulations; does not apply to the North Umpqua. There is no leader length restriction when bobber fishing on the North Umpqua.
As the fishing seasons change, anglers need to look at the online Southwest Zone regulations, for the most updated information.

###

Greg Huchko, 541-440-3353
Meghan Dugan, 541-440-3353

T
the_intimidator03
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually in the Roseburg ODFW office and their staff agreed that these new regulations were put out too quickly with too many errors.

W
wils
Holy cow. The fishing regs in this state is like the weather reports here in central oregon---- "call me back in 5 minutes"

troutdude
troutdude
wils said:
Holy cow. The fishing regs in this state is like the weather reports here in central oregon---- "call me back in 5 minutes"

Agreed. It'd be a lot better, if they just printed a set at the beginning of the year--then stuck to those regs, until the following year. Changing regs mid-year (maybe mulitple times), is IMO pretty ridiculous (especially when the law requires that, we KNOW them).

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
:popcorn:

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
Agreed. It'd be a lot better, if they just printed a set at the beginning of the year--then stuck to those regs, until the following year. Changing regs mid-year (maybe mulitple times), is IMO pretty ridiculous (especially when the law requires that, we KNOW them).

Yes and no.

What if they set seasons/limits on the best available info at the time, then the runs fall well short of the predictions? Should we allow a gross overharvest to abide by a booklet written a year prior?

While I agree (with pretty much everyone, I think) that the new regs are a clusterfudge, some tweaking during the season is a necessary evil.