Umpqua 12/13/09

J

JeannaJigs

Took the boat for her maiden fishing trip down the Umpqua yesterday. It was cold. Real cold. The river was flowing freely, but all the rocks were covered in a sheet of ice, and all the slack water was frozen solid still. Put in at Sawyer's and took out at I think...scott creek? yeah. We had one on but it came unbottoned before I could net it, it wasn't a large fish, probably about 26 inches or so but it was chrome.

L

lilsalmon

Niiiiice.....26 inches? I would take it. Its been so long since I had a fish on....actually I did on Saturday at the rest area.....but lost it....I was surprised cuz I was just out foolin around since I wasn't at the Wilson....:(

Yesterday I went to Walter Wirth....there was a small spot with no ice and there were 4 of us fishing and this huge one swam not 2 feet from shore real slow right in front of me....I told everyone to check it out....well, the guy at the end stuck his rod out with his hook on it and SNAGGED the beauty....15 pound...here is a picture....it should have been mine but no way would I catch it that way.....so not sportsman like...

I guess this is probably the biggest one I have ever seen....I have sooo much catching up to do..:D

T

TTFishon

Took the boat for her maiden fishing trip down the Umpqua yesterday. It was cold. Real cold. The river was flowing freely, but all the rocks were covered in a sheet of ice, and all the slack water was frozen solid still. Put in at Sawyer's and took out at I think...scott creek? yeah. We had one on but it came unbottoned before I could net it, it wasn't a large fish, probably about 26 inches or so but it was chrome.

Sounds like a fun day on the river with your new boat. Thanks for sharing.

J

JeannaJigs

Code:
121309.jpg

It's a crappy cell phone pic, but this is what it looked like yesterday.

J

JeannaJigs

Niiiiice.....26 inches? I would take it. Its been so long since I had a fish on....actually I did on Saturday at the rest area.....but lost it....I was surprised cuz I was just out foolin around since I wasn't at the Wilson....:(

Yesterday I went to Walter Wirth....there was a small spot with no ice and there were 4 of us fishing and this huge one swam not 2 feet from shore real slow right in front of me....I told everyone to check it out....well, the guy at the end stuck his rod out with his hook on it and SNAGGED the beauty....15 pound...here is a picture....it should have been mine but no way would I catch it that way.....so not sportsman like...

I guess this is probably the biggest one I have ever seen....I have sooo much catching up to do..:D

I woulda reported that myself, that kinda crap makes me sick. It's a shame.

L

lilsalmon

oh...I do believe it was reported....maybe too late, I am not sure on that one. I am one to speak up and say what I want...dont take crap from anyone most of the time...I walked away because I knew that was the best thing for me....there were 4 of us fishin but the one that snagged had a group of friends meet up with him....My past in dealing with this particular group of people told me to walk away.....It is a shame. When you do s**t like that you aren't there for the sport, enjoyment and total satisfaction of fishing and being on the water and enjoying the outdoors...like me :)

T

Thuggin4Life

Lol. So how did my spots look when you went by it? You probably floated down the other side of the river from them.

J

JeannaJigs

Lol. So how did my spots look when you went by it? You probably floated down the other side of the river from them.

I know the spots of which you speak! Lol finally. They looked pretty fishy. The river was super clear though once you get away from the rapids, could use a little color. The end of the week it will be blown out though...so from one extreme to the other. I was gonna hit it this weekend anyway lol, but there's one chute that i'm nervous about, otherwise it's an easy drift, so when I run it a couple more times and am confident that we won't die, I'll take you down there.

T

Thuggin4Life

I know the spots of which you speak! Lol finally. They looked pretty fishy. The river was super clear though once you get away from the rapids, could use a little color. The end of the week it will be blown out though...so from one extreme to the other. I was gonna hit it this weekend anyway lol, but there's one chute that i'm nervous about, otherwise it's an easy drift, so when I run it a couple more times and am confident that we won't die, I'll take you down there.

That would be cool. Water was way to low for me to go to what i need to do but when the water drops i will be there doing it. Was this chute near a water fall?

J

JeannaJigs

That would be cool. Water was way to low for me to go to what i need to do but when the water drops i will be there doing it. Was this chute near a water fall?

The water level was actually pretty decent, but I imagine it would suck for some plunkage, but jigs and drifting..perfecto. I lost my favorite jig :( so I need to fix my vice and get back to tying some new ones. The chute is just downstream about 1/4 of a mile below Sawyer rapids. It's pretty narrow..kinda hectic, shallow rock shevles, big boulders...a log, some ugly curls...it's got everything...doesn't leave much room for maneuvering.

T

Thuggin4Life

I know exatly were that is but have neve rseen the water when its not green or below 5-6 feet stage. next time look to the south bank for the water fall its a cool sight. I could be wrong though you might have been just a bit upriver from it.

J

JeannaJigs

I know exatly were that is but have neve rseen the water when its not green or below 5-6 feet stage. next time look to the south bank for the water fall its a cool sight. I could be wrong though you might have been just a bit upriver from it.

I think I went by it but maybe not? I vaguely remember it seeing a wall of rock that was frozen with a trickle on my left that looked like at some point it would be flowing pretty good...but I was rowing, and in the zone lol totally not paying attention to anything but the river in front of me. My arms are angry from back trolling plugs through about a mile of river.

T

Thuggin4Life

I think I went by it but maybe not? I vaguely remember it seeing a wall of rock that was frozen with a trickle on my left that looked like at some point it would be flowing pretty good...but I was rowing, and in the zone lol totally not paying attention to anything but the river in front of me. My arms are angry from back trolling plugs through about a mile of river.

Yeah that was probably it.

Top Bottom