Ultimate home made tackle

Irishrover
Irishrover
Being retired I have time on my hands so I go a little crazy now and then to come up with a project. I have been walking by a certain piece of 2" copper pipe in my barn for a few years and always figured that somewhere in that pipe was a lure. The other day I reached the point of no return, took the hack saw, ball pin hammer, and went to work. I cut off a piece of pipe with the hack saw used the tin snips and the ball pin hammer and fashioned something close to a steel-lee. I took it down to the Sandy today and was suprised to see it actually work like a spoon should. If I wasn't retired I would just go buy a lure but it was kind of fun to make one from scratch. I think I'll make a few more, might even use then to decorate the Christmass Tree with a few of them!;)

Last edited:
G
Growbug
Bet you'll be bringing a fish in on it.

M
metalmania
That's hands down the ugliest spoon i've ever seen, but I could definitly see a steelie chasing that down and crushing it:D.

Irishrover
Irishrover
metalmania said:
That's hands down the ugliest spoon i've ever seen, but I could definitly see a steelie chasing that down and crushing it:D.

Thanks, I agree. ROTFLMAO:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
F
fishindude
Nicely done !!:clap::clap:

S
skunk
HaHa, yeah! Now he'll humble us all and land a trophy chrome on it. See that UV thread that's going on another post??? Catch a trophy on this spinner and you'll make a fortune man!!! I can see it now, 'Aged Barn Copper Lures Trophies to the Bank'. Only $16.99 each.

troutdude
troutdude
It not only looks like a "Steelie" wobbler, but also a tad like a Little Cleo. I caught way more trout this year on a Little Cleo, than any other lure (wobbler or spinner).

I don't know if you're aware...but, the very first "spoon" or "wobbler" actually was fashioned by cutting down a spoon and hammering it out. That's how it all began.

There's a tackle shop in Oakridge. I stopped in there last summer, and visited w/ Bert (the owner). In a display case, Bert showed me an 1800's (maybe early 20th century) cast iron block that was used to hammer out different sized spoons. It was really neat!

Nice job. Once you take your ornaments down...you ought to fling them for some steel and report back.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Julio Thomson Buel 1821 made the first spoon. Troutdude you are right. But did you know he got the idea fron Rancid Crabbtrees great grandfather!

"There's a tackle shop in Oakridge. I stopped in there last summer, and visited w/ Bert (the owner). In a display case, Bert showed me an 1800's (maybe early 20th century) cast iron block that was used to hammer out different sized spoons. It was really neat!" By Troutdude

I need to go see this devise. I hammered mine over a 2" towing ball with a ball pin hamer. Only hit my finger twice. I think I'm going to have fun with these spoons. I'm going to try to make a FST next and try it out in the ocean next season.

My real test is to make an Alvin wobbler out of a coffee can.:lol::lol: I think I can actually do it. It's been on my mind for a while now.;)

H
halibuthitman
I can see a little caveman influence.... and a little Irish influence... its a crosspollonation lure........ it will nock u.v right off the top shelf! you hiring?

O
OnTheFly
Lonn, you have Way too much time on your hands.lol. I can't wait to get on the same schedule!

troutdude
troutdude
halibuthitman said:
I can see a little caveman influence.... and a little Irish influence... its a crosspollonation lure........ it will nock u.v right off the top shelf! you hiring?

Hmmm...I think I've heard of that "cross"...me thinks it's called "caveish".

troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover said:
Julio Thomson Buel 1821 made the first spoon. Troutdude you are right. But did you know he got the idea fron Rancid Crabbtrees great grandfather!

I was indulging in a sip of coffee as I read that comment. Darn near made me spit my coffee, all over my flat screen!!! ROTFL!!!!

troutdude
troutdude
Oakridge shop

Oakridge shop

Irishrover said:
"There's a tackle shop in Oakridge. I stopped in there last summer, and visited w/ Bert (the owner). In a display case, Bert showed me an 1800's (maybe early 20th century) cast iron block that was used to hammer out different sized spoons. It was really neat!" By Troutdude

I need to go see this devise. I hammered mine over a 2" towing ball with a ball pin hamer. Only hit my finger twice. I think I'm going to have fun with these spoons. I'm going to try to make a FST next and try it out in the ocean next season.

You can visit Bert's Fish - N - Stuff in Oakridge. He's on Hwy. 58. If I recall, his shop is located near the bigger grocery store. He's on the north side of the Hwy. I'll PM you, with his home phone number.

R
Razz
Being that you did this at RETIRED labor rate how long did this take to make? RETIRED and work at the same rate

Irishrover
Irishrover
Razz said:
Being that you did this at RETIRED labor rate how long did this take to make? RETIRED and work at the same rate

It was actually a two year long project. First there were the 729 days of pondering the idea coupled with a good dose of hard core procrastination. On the 730th day I hear a voice, I think it was "Larry the Cable Guy". It wispered "Get er Done". With that inspiration it took about 30 minutes to wack a piece of copper from the pipe with the hack saw, tin snip it into a tear drop shape then pummel it with a ball pin hammer over a 2" towing ball. I did the finish work with a dremell.

Being retired I have learned to pace myself, there is just no good sense rushing into a project without it being well thought out. Being retired yourself, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Irishrover
Irishrover
troutdude said:
Hmmm...I think I've heard of that "cross"...me thinks it's called "caveish".

Caveish it is I like the name.