UL rod?

R
Rock10
I'm looking for a ul rod. It need to be under 5' 6" And has 2 be two pieces, to fit in my suitcase. I would prefer a 4' 6" one in 2 piece. In would be for trout fishing on streams and lakes, i love using the ultra light gear. I have heard good things about uglystick UL rods. Cabelas classic IM6 based on reviews seem to be a hit or miss thing. Any other sugggestions? Under $50-60 Because rods usually end getting used by younger siblings, and don't last long after that.

1 nut in the water
I would have to give a thumbs up to the Ugly Sticks-After many years of using fenwick UL rods and eventually braking them all I now go with a couple of 5'0 ugly sticks- decent feel and they are bulletproof. One of them is 22 years old!

Troutski
Troutski
1 nut in the water said:
I would have to give a thumbs up to the Ugly Sticks-After many years of using fenwick UL rods and eventually braking them all I now go with a couple of 5'0 ugly sticks- decent feel and they are bulletproof. One of them is 22 years old!

Thumbs up, you can't go wrong with an Ugly Stick.... What reel are you thinking about?

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
I see your new here; so welcome to OFF!

If you do get a Cabela's rod--or something similar--my suggestion would be to get an IM7, or IM8, graphite modulus rod (if it's within your budgetary concerns). You'll be happy with higher quality. On the other hand, you'd be more depressed if it got broken. So, an IM6 would be the way to go if your primary concerns are getting broken by your sibs. I use all of them (6-8); and my IM6 rods are pretty decent.

I've also used plenty of Shakespeare Wonder Rod's, over the years too. Those were the predecessor's, to the Ugly Stick's of today. They are all ULTRA dependable, and hard to beat. And like the others said; your sibs can tear 'em up and they'll stand up to it.

Good luck.

P.S. I vote for the Pflueger reel.

R
Rock10
Thanks for all the suggestions! I was gonna 12lb because it's the equivalent to like 2.5 lb mono or something like that. I'll check out the shakespeare wonder rods! Also are the Bass Pro name rods very good? I have heard mixed reviews along with the cabelas rod's.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Rock10 said:
I'm looking for a ul rod. It need to be under 5' 6" And has 2 be two pieces, to fit in my suitcase. I would prefer a 4' 6" one in 2 piece. In would be for trout fishing on streams and lakes, i love using the ultra light gear. I have heard good things about uglystick UL rods. Cabelas classic IM6 based on reviews seem to be a hit or miss thing. Any other sugggestions? Under $50-60 Because rods usually end getting used by younger siblings, and don't last long after that.

I have a 2 piece Uglystik UL action (4'6" or 5') that I use on backpacking trips and it is great for UL spinning. If they have one that meets your length requirements, that would be a good option.

I like Cabela's gear and had an IM6 but it snapped in half trying to free a snag last year on Siltcoos Lake, returned it for full credit and got an IM7 with split grip that was on sale for the same price and love it, I just picked up another one on sale so that we have 2 in the boat next year. I do not recommend IM6 based rods based on how easily the one I had snapped...

Cheers, roger

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
I have two ultra light rods I use and one of them is a Shakespeare collapsible. It collapses down to less than a foot in length and is very easy to carry and fits in small spaces

Reactions: Dizle
H
halibuthitman
I have a Mastercaster Boron C... you want ultralight... this is it, I also have an eagleclaw featherweight, extremely ultralight.. both fit into the guide lines you have, P.M me if your interested, they are both basicly new- Brad

D
DonF
I love UL fishing for crappie and if I fished for trout probably them too. I have several UL, well close to it, rod and reels and one really true UK rod and reel that I dearly love. its an Okuma reel iT10-a and an Okuma 5' rod that breaks in the middle, I don't like one piece rods! The rest of what I'm calling UL rod and reels are 6'6" rods with a bit biugger reels on them. True UL os pretty hard to find! And the Okuma set I have has me spoiled! Oh, if you want to go find the Okuma UL I have, I got it at a Bimart. Rod number isCE-S-502UL. I think you'll like this rod!

D
DonF
Something I just thought of about rods. Lot of guy's tried inexpensive rods and had trouble with them, sounds like breaking. So they spend a bunch more money on a presumably better rods and problem goes away. Well do you think the problem goes away because of a better rod or a more expensive rod you got practice with taking care of with the inexpensive rod? I recall years ao a young stepson made a habit of slamming the car door on rods! Well don't matter what you pay, slam a cardoor on them and they break. Finally got it through my head the kid didn't know any better and I simply wasn't watching good enough. I use mostly inexpensive rod's today and have never broke one. had a local kid I'd take fishing and tried to get him to quit laying the rod on the ground, it was mine. Was, past tense. Kid finally broke it and I strongly suspect he laid it down and stepped on it. Step on an expensive rod and it breaks too!