Uglystick for salmon/steelhead?

K
Kage
So I got a 6ft uglystick, medium action 6-15lb line and I'm wondering if it will be able to handle fishing for salmon and steelhead. I'm lookin to get a shimano sierra reel and possibly an okuma celilo rod to go with it. Mainly a stronger rod and maybe a general rod to use for bigger fish. I want to know if it would be possible to stick the shimano reel on the uglystick if it can handle salmon/steelhead fishing. Anyone with advice, I thank u in advance

R
RunWithSasquatch
You could probably do it, but it wouldnt be that great. 6 ft is too short, a rod at least in the 8' to 9' range, 6-15lb would be sufficient for most fish, but you will find that you will want a little heavier rod for salmon. If I were stuck to one rod for both species it would be an 8'6'' 10-20lb medium action rod.

K
Kage
Thanx for the info, I suppose I'm gonna just have to go with two rods. Use my uglystick for trout and the small fish and have a 2nd rod for bigger fish. One question is I really don't understand what the action on a rod means. Just today I started lookin at general info on reels not so much on rods. Now will rods and reels match up pretty easily or is there certain things I should be aware of or keep in mind when I go to pick out a reel/rod for each other?

R
RunWithSasquatch
You fit the reel to the game you chase, not the rod. As far as I know, any reel will seat on just about any rod... with in reason. Obviously spinning reals to spinning rods, and level-winds to its appropriate rod. You spoke of a Shimano reel, and a 2500-3000 size fits well for steelhead, and a 3000-4000 works well for salmon... you can catch a fish on anything, but the larger reels hold more line of a heavy caliber, and also boast larger drag washers.

Rod action talks about where the rod begins to load up under pull. So a slow action rod will load up clear at the cork or butt of the rod, and a fast action rod begins to load up right away at the tip end of the rod, being more stiff. They all will bend, but the action refers to where on the rod it bends until the real back bone of the rod starts to load. Slower action rods usually suite towards a steelhead bobber fishing scenario, medium to medium fast action rods are towards a drifting technique, and fast action rods usually make for good plug rods.

Reactions: brandon4455
K
Kage
i just now read the difference between a spinning rod and a casting rod, at this point i'll stick w/ a spinning rod/reel since that was what was suggested to me and i'm used to spinning reels. thanx for the explanation and help, i'm basically a fishing noob tryin to educate himself. i've set my mind on a shimano sierra reel w/ a okuma celilo rod, probably 9ft if that combo will work for salmon/steelhead. at this point all i've caught are trout and as fun as it is i want to aim for somethin bigger. i suppose i'll have to learn about differences between line now to get a better understanding of that as well. this is all interesting stuff, i just need to pick it up over time i suppose but it helps when people are helping point things out haha

R
RunWithSasquatch
Lots of information on this forum... thousands of posts about the subjects you are interested in learning, use the search function to your advantage with those key words.

The Sierra with the Celilo will be a great combo to start out with. Hopefully we start seeing some fish reports once you get it dialed in.

N
natro
I use an 8' 6" InterCoastal style Ugly Stik with an Okuma reel (can't remember the specific style of reel) for my salmon and steelhead fishing, and I think it's a pretty good rod. I did see a Celilo rod at Bimart a few days ago for 50 bucks, and have to admit I just about picked it up. It seemed like a really nice rod. After a little bit of debating, I passed it up though. Maybe I'll get one if I ever break my Ugly Stik, but not sure if that will ever happen.

K
Kage
just got paid so i'm itchin to go get my new gear now haha, i'm basically goin off the recommendation of other OFF members, i do like shimano so that helps. hopefully i'll have my new rod and reel by the end of this week :D

N
nativefish
if u want to save some bucks i have never been disapointed by the north river rods that fishermen's supply and marine stocks as their shop rods. They got like about 1000 different line/action/lengths in there so u can pretty much find anything u want. Sure a Loomis is so much nicer but i would spend money on a nice reel before i go and get an expensive rod.

K
Kage
So I went to wholesale sports yesterday and I could be wrong but the shimano sierra doesn't match up with the celilo rod. If I'm not mistaken the celilo rod is a casting rod and the sienna is a spinning rod. I'll deal with that later but for now I'm thinkin of what reel to get for my uglystick, which is a casting rod. I suppose that'll be my trout, bass, etc rod/reel and my next rod/reel wil be for salmon/steelhead

R
RunWithSasquatch
RunWithSasquatch said:
spinning reals to spinning rods, and level-winds to its appropriate rod.

If its a rod set up for a baitcaster, your spinning reel wont work.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Celilos are also made in Spinning. I got two. :D

K
Kage
the ones i saw at wholesale sports were casting so i suppose i'd have to order online huh. so i still could pair the shimano sierra w/ the celilo? i saw a celilo SST and was wonderin if that would be a good multi-fish pole to have for well...salmon, steelhead, and trout.

J
JeannaJigs
I have a pair of celilos in spinning and casting...bimart and dicks has the spinning versions. Good solid rods that won't make your wallet cry too much if you have a mishap that results in the death of a tip or something. Lamiglas has excellent rods but if you're just getting started, you will love the celilo

C
ChezJfrey
I will add that I have a couple Celilos and an SST...all spinning. I've been pretty satisfied to their sensitivity, durability and relative low cost. I'm still wondering about that SST label considering I have yet to actually catch one on it??? ;)

K
Kage
In the meantime I picked up an okuma tormenta reel to go with my uglystick til I can afford to pick up the sienna and celilo, I'll have to stop by dick's up the gear. I'm now interestin in pickin up the SST if that would work better haha

T
Tinker
Your Ugly Stik will work unless you need to cast a country mile with light lures. We were fishing a Canadian lake for walleye and smallmouth and I hooked a 42-inch muskie with a 5'6" medium action Ugly Stik (and 8lb. line). It was touch-and-go, but I boated it.

I don't think anyone ever needs a high-dollar rod of extraordinary length and sensitivity. Ever. It wasn't that long ago when no one manufactured freshwater rods - other than fly rods - that were longer than six feet and lots of people caught lots of fish using them. Go back just a bit further and all you could buy were rods made from steel, and before that, it was just sticks or - if you had deep pockets - bamboo.

Graphite is the new kid in the marketplace compared to fiberglass or fiberglass-carbon composites.

I cringe when I see recommendations for the highest-priced gear. It isn't necessary. Not even if you have very deep pockets.

One of the best reels out there is a Cabela's Tournament series - manufactured by Daiwa - that goes for $70. It has an exceptional drag, is extremely durable, and has all the features one could ever need. Everyone who tests it gives it the highest marks and no one talks about it. The Shimano Convergence rods are exceptional values, but have limited lengths/actions from which to choose. The Shimano Clarus rods are top-shelf and give you more choices.

I defy the serious hobby angler to find a difference between a $100 Clarus and a $500 Loomis rod that can in any way justify the astronomical cost of a Loomis rod. Lifetime warranty? Seriously? Do any of us expect to be fishing a graphite rod 20 years from now when everything is Kevlar or some new aramid material, and the latest line guides are made from anti-gravity ceramics?

We could be out there whipping the water into a froth with $10,000 worth of rod, reel, and line and still not know HOW to catch the fish we want to catch, and once we learn how to catch them, won't whatever we have in our hands work?

I love my Lamiglas Norwest Special rods, but they're discontinued. You can't buy a new one anywhere. Shakespeare has been making Ugly Stiks, essentially unchanged, for forty years. If they didn't work and work good enough, they would be off the market. Instead, they're still the best selling fishing rods made.

If your Ugly Stik breaks with a fish on (not likely) then get a new rod. If the Ugly Stik becomes a glaring weakness - if it, in and of itself, prevents you from catching fish, then replace it. But wait until you know what it's weaknesses are so you know what the next rod needs to do or to do better.

Never leave fish to find fish. Never upgrade just to upgrade.