Ugly Stick 2.0

C
catchallthefish
anny one tried the new one they got out? i seen a new one but didn't have the $ for it yet

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
catchallthefish said:
anny one tried the new one they got out? i seen a new one but didn't have the $ for it yet

You've got a fascination with the Ugly Stik, dontcha? Despite their 1980's claims, they're not unbreakable. They're heavy and not terribly sensitive compared to other rods that can be had for the same, or even less cash.

If you're on an Ugly Stick budget - Okuma's Celilo and SST rods are hard to beat. Thinner, lighter, more sensitive blanks, decent (for the price point) cork grips, your typical graphite reel seat, and of the ten or so I've owned, I've yet to have one break, or fail, except for one guide that got stepped on and I had to replace. Celilo trout rods will set you back $20-40 depending on if you can get a sale or not. Bi Mart even sells these rods, which seem to run about $30 regular price.

The SST rods are a bit nicer, and start around $50. You can get short, light rods, short heavy rods, long light rods, and long heavy rods.

Also for about $40-50 you can get their ReFlexions one-piece rods (though I think they have added a couple two piece models) if you want a cheap but good fishing bass rod. I own a few of these also - and while they're not as light or easy casting as my Loomis Rods, they beat the pants off the Shakespeare junk in the same price point. Other rods

Diawa and Zebco (under the brand Quantum) also make better rods that can be had for the same cash.

Don't mean to harsh your buzz for a new rod - but having owned and fished with Ugly Stick rods dating back to the originals - there's better rods to be had for almost every application, for the same kind of cash. Even Shakespeare, makers of the Ugly Stick, offer other rods that are lighter/more sensitive/better fishing tools for the same cash.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Forgot to mention - if you don't mind saving the cash and waiting a tad longer - for about $80 or so you can get into entry level Lamiglas rods, which are very nice fishing tools.

T
troutmasta
didn't you just start a thread called "Ugly stick" one week ago...:nonchalance:

D
DrTheopolis
GungasUncle said:
Forgot to mention - if you don't mind saving the cash and waiting a tad longer - for about $80 or so you can get into entry level Lamiglas rods, which are very nice fishing tools.

Couldn't agree more on the Lami.

But I will say, IF you're going to tromp through thick brush, and IF you can keep it under about $20 or so, and IF it's an ultralight series, then it's hard to go wrong with a Stik.

I mostly just posted that to prove I I I'm not elitist.

C
catchallthefish
yes i do own several different brands diawa is a good one i like zebco there supper fun if ya get a short 1 1/2 footer eagle claw are nice lakers, south bends... ect.....i even like pocket fishermans i just realy like me a stik mmkay?.... but i do agree theres more on the table i just wana get a reveiw on the new version the 2.0 the second kind its like red and stuff different than the other ones... i just seen em at cabelas and DR your funny

C
chrisohm
I have a heavy Stick for salmon that is mainly used as a backup and for bay excursions. Another I broke a while ago, medium action, replaced with a Celilo SST. Love that Celilo! Broke the top to my trout rod, possibly after stepping on it, found out after I cast out half the rod. Replaced that with the Celilo trout rod, which will never be stepped on! Light action but feels like it has more backbone than my last trout rod. I have one nice Lami I love using as an extra bobber rod and my main bass rod. Then there is the 2' mighty...those things can still pull in a good fish and well worth taking on a backpacking trip or out-fishing your boss on his boat. 2 other rods are waiting repair, sadly.

Its not the brand of the rod but the fisherman behind it.

Reactions: Dizle
C
catchallthefish
no one has tried the gx2? what this whole post is about and no one has addressed it..... my last thread dissolved into Dick Trickle ok im trying to get input as Chris said... so stay on topic please....

C
chrisohm
I have not experienced the new style. All tapped out on rods at the moment. If you can't get a response here, try searching the web for consumer reviews.

O
OnTheDrop
I sell quite a few of them at work. They are very similar to the previous model action wise. They do look different and have a few minor tweaks.

C
catchallthefish
thank you ^

Troutski
Troutski
High Dollar tackle...

High Dollar tackle...

The old saying that the difference between a fishing pole and a fishing rod is a hundred bucks is so very true. The fish surly doesn't know what rod or reel is on the other end of the lure, but the angler does... Like most anglers I started with low end tackle and was very happy until a friend let me borrow one of his high end rods.... Well it does make a difference in casting accuracy, and casting distance not to mention the way the higher priced rods allow you to fight the fish...
All this being said it is a very personal matter between you and your wallet.....
I have replaced all my fishing poles and reels with fishing rods and some very nice reels... I tell you it does matter....
I gave all my less expensive tackle to beginners and they still work, most of them have moved up to Rods and have passed the less expensive items off to beginners...

Chuck