UFO (unidentified finned object)

M
Mike B
My wife and I were sailing in Yaquina bay a couple of weeks ago and saw something black sticking up out of the water. From a distance I thought "sea lion", she said "fish". We sailed closer and it looked like a fin. It was stationary but I knew there should be no stationary objects there (mid channel, NE of the LNG tank). The closer we got the more the shape looked like that of a killer whale dorsal fin but smaller and then it went under with a splash and we didn't see it again.

I had heard that there were "killer whales" seen off the Yaquina bar. Not Orca's but something smaller. I couldn't find anything like what we saw by searching the internet. Who knows what it may have been?
Mike

C
Chass
I've seen seals hanging out with one flipper in the air like that. Don't know why though . . .

I've never seen anything else out there like you described.

Chass
ct

F
fishfreak13
Pacific white sided dolphins and common dolphins both have similar coloration, but in a smaller package :)

K
Kodiak
It was the Lock Ness monster!:shock:

M
Mike B
this is it

this is it

Chass said:
I've seen seals hanging out with one flipper in the air like that. Don't know why though . . .

I've never seen anything else out there like you described.

Chass
ct

I've seen this more and more as I spend time on the bay. I'm not sure what they're doing either but they do hang out just under the surface with a flipper up like that. Maybe just playing or relaxing but I've seen them alone or with other sea lions doing it.
Mike

C
Chass
We on our way back from tuna fishing about 25 miles off Winchester on Thursday when we saw all kinds of fins sticking out of the water we thought it was a huge group of sharks but it turned out to be about 20 seals with their fins all sticking out of the water. We saw three other smaller groups doing that. Strange, I've never seen it before . . .

Chass
ct

B
Born2Fish55
Same as the others....... figured the Seals were playing "Shark" or something.... that or they heard one Jimmy Buffet song too many..... hey, one fin up!:dance: