Type of shot gun

F
fishtales
So am looking into getting another gun. Is h&r an okay brand for shotguns?

T
tomriker
get a beretta

brandon4455
brandon4455
i think it's okay are you in a certain price range? i stick with a remington 12gauge or a mosberg. they dont cost too much or break very easy

and yes a beretta is good. or benelli
brandon

F
fishtales
I would like a beretta and I mean the shotgun but i think my price range is in the neighborhood of the h&R. I use to drive one of those cas in high school. lol brings bac memories.

I haev heard a lot of good stuff about the mosberg and remington and for a while i was leaning towards one of those two brands.

C
capblack
harrington and richardson (new england) is a fine gun, i have had several single shots. remington and mossberg are fine as well, benelli and beretta are overpriced in my opinion. if you look at the used gun shops, keep your eyes open for a jc higgins (sears). I have had them in pump 20 guage, and recently traded for one in 12 guage pump with an adjustable choke. I love them and they are in the $125 to $175 range. good luck, Brian

brandon4455
brandon4455
i got my remington 12 gauge and mosberg 12 gauge at a pawn shop for 99$ each well...my dad bought em. they performed flawless for the 2 eyars we had em. then sold them because we had no money for food.

S
SantiamDrifter
Lets not forget to ask the guy what your wanting to use it for. Home defense, Sport shooting, Hunting?

If your looking for a home defense gun The Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's and 590's are your best options. My personal favoritve, the Mossberg 590A1.

F
fishtales
Mainly duck hunting. Yeah I like the A1 too.

C
capblack
is the h and r your looking at a single shot? because that probably wouldnt make a very good hunting rifle imo

F
fishtales
Not a single shot that I know of. I kinda figure the single shots would not work

T
tomriker
i started with a beretta silver mallard then went to an xtrema 2. i've shot a lot of differant guns and im tellin' ya nothing i've shot yet is more comfortable, well besides my 10ga ithica with a 32 inch barrel (aka the cannon)

troutdude
troutdude
Beretta's are awesome. I once owned 2 European grade O/U's. I was lucky enough, to get them wholesale and direct from the factory. A buddy worked next door, and bought 'em at the Beretta factory; and then flew them home to me. Try to do that today w/ TSA, and you won't get far!

If you can get a wholesale deal, go for it. Otherwise, they retail price is pretty high. And if you're gonna splurge on Beretta...get the Euro grade (not American grade).

brandon4455
brandon4455
remington 6shot 12 gauge hands down for duck hunting. not sure if it's an 870 but it might be.. they run 150-275 bucks i think

T
Thuggin4Life
Dont buy a remmington. Everyone thinks there great and there not. Everyone I have shot has been garbage and every owner loved there garbage. hey are nknow for jamming and guess what every one I have shot did on a regular basis. I did notice that the 870 supermag when shooting the big boy shells never jammed on me with 2 different guns. Mossbergs are good. only shot there 500's but my brother and his brother in law both have 2 different models and i liked shooting both of them. brothers gun only jammed once with several bricks maybe 1500 or so rounds. also if you take apart a 870 and a mossberg you will laugh at how cheap the 870's inards look.
I for one reccomend benelli. For a pump get a supernova. for an extra 100 you can get in in camo. I am getting one in max4 here in a couple months. gonna be a great bird/skeet gun. everything i have read about them makes me want one more.

H
halibuthitman
Thuggin4Life said:
Dont buy a remmington. Everyone thinks there great and there not. Everyone I have shot has been garbage and every owner loved there garbage. hey are nknow for jamming and guess what every one I have shot did on a regular basis. I did notice that the 870 supermag when shooting the big boy shells never jammed on me with 2 different guns. Mossbergs are good. only shot there 500's but my brother and his brother in law both have 2 different models and i liked shooting both of them. brothers gun only jammed once with several bricks maybe 1500 or so rounds. also if you take apart a 870 and a mossberg you will laugh at how cheap the 870's inards look.
I for one reccomend benelli. For a pump get a supernova. for an extra 100 you can get in in camo. I am getting one in max4 here in a couple months. gonna be a great bird/skeet gun. everything i have read about them makes me want one more.
a jamming pump gun is usally due to user error or shooting ammo with low grade hulls... the 870 wingmaster and mossberg 500 are the ak 47 of the sporting world, indestructable... myself I shoot a ruger over/under and a benelli nova, I also own an mossberg 835 and a ithica deerslayer... they all kill whatever is residing on the business en of them... I vote for the 870... most bang for the buck-

H
halibuthitman
brandon4455 said:
remington 6shot 12 gauge hands down for duck hunting. not sure if it's an 870 but it might be.. they run 150-275 bucks i think
you cannot have 6 shots waterfowling... or I would still go duck hunting!

T
Thuggin4Life
Like I said eveeryone loves there 870 but when you buy a remington you would expect it to shoot remington ammo. just my opinion, might just be a crazy idea that a gun should shoot ammo made buy the gun maker. If you really want one do a lot of research. you will find the 870 fanatics defending them to the grave but like i said common well known problem is they jam. more often with cheaper ammo. if you want to go shoot a box or 2 of clays do you really want to shoot 15 dollar or more per box ammo?and yes the government uses them but we all know the government is cheap sometimes. If its a cheap gun get a mossberg. not that much more than an 870 and a way better gun. shot both of them in the same day and the look,feel, shooting experiance, shell feeding/ejecting, well just about everything was better with the mossberg.

not sure about the gun you had your mind on but same thing research it. I was gonna get a remington 700 for hunting but decided against it even if the situation is hyped up and over exagerated.

T
Thuggin4Life
halibuthitman said:
a jamming pump gun is usally due to user error or shooting ammo with low grade hulls... the 870 wingmaster and mossberg 500 are the ak 47 of the sporting world, indestructable... myself I shoot a ruger over/under and a benelli nova, I also own an mossberg 835 and a ithica deerslayer... they all kill whatever is residing on the business en of them... I vote for the 870... most bang for the buck-

How do you like that nova. wondering if you had the money would you have buy a super nova over the nova. Haven't been able to find a super nova on the shelf but held a few of the novas. everything i researched about the super nova makes it seem like a better gun to me.

H
halibuthitman
well, I guess a guns only as good as who's holding it... so its an ok gun.. kinda like sayin would I rather have megan fox instead of Kate hudson... there both awsome.. just glad to have one!

T
Thuggin4Life
Huh ok. well i can't wait to get mine. and bet its gonna be better than just an ok gun. I'm sure some of the jamming of the 870 is from poor cleaning and some operator error but you can't blame it all on these two reasons. and the information is out there. I've shot 3 and I would call any of them great guns. Shot 2 mossberg 500 series and both are great guns. If I was only had enough money to get a 870 I wouldn't buy it and just wait and save some more money. kinda why i am waiting now so i can get the benelli supernova instead of something cheaper. Would like to wait even longer and get a semi but you can only wait so long.