Two Weeks and Counting

S
Seon
I'll be headed up your way in two weeks for some 1st time Sturgeon fishing on the Columbia. I'll be departing Sac area on the 18th, spend the night at Grants Pass and arrive in Portland on the 19th. Being it's the only campgrounds I know, I'll check in Ainsworth State campgrounds for the night then look around for another campground that's not right next to the train tracks :rolleyes:. I'll be towing my 19' center console boat and a 8' camper on my truck. If anyone can recommend a campground that's near the Columbia river that's clean and quiet, please let me know. I'll be up there for about 10-14 days so a lead would help. Looking forward in possibly meeting fellow Sturgeon fishermen there.

Oh yeah, I'll have an open seat so PM me if you're interested. BTW I know how "wives" are regarding fishing with an unknown fisherman so here's my bio...senior citizen, retired mechanical engineer that worked at the Pentagon Wash. D.C., married to my high school sweetheart for 43 years :cool:;) and love to fish.

C
Commodore S
PM sent

PM sent

We're headed out Thurs.

S
SNDSLGR
Dodson is a popular launch and has camping available but the tracks are there also. I work for the RR and I can assure you there is no camping along the Columbia that is train free... the tracks run right along the water almosty the entire way.

I would love a seat on the boat if there is one available. While I dont have a lot of experience boat sturg fishing or Columbia anchoring I have been out at Dodson a few times with my brother-in-law and even took his boat out myself a couple times and had success with the anchor and the fish, lol.

S
Seon
SNDSLGR said:
... I work for the RR and I can assure you there is no camping along the Columbia that is train free...

Well then can you have the train stop running while I'm up there camping? :lol::D

Seriously though, I don't need to be along the river. Isn't there a campground within a half hour drive from the launch?

PM me your number if you'd like.

Last edited:
S
SNDSLGR
Do you have a specific launch you think you will be hanging at? There is a lot of camping along the river but the mountain really shoots straight up between the Sandy river and Hood river... more or less.

S
Seon
SNDSLGR said:
Do you have a specific launch you think you will be hanging at?...

I plan to check in Ainsworth State Campgounds off I-84 for the 1st night then see what's available to stay for the rest of the week. I don't know the area nor do I know where or which launch is near or the best. I'm playing it by ear and hopefully some can recommend/suggest where I should go to fish (don't go there guys :lol:).

I'm not on a firm schedule, this is a Sturgeon fishing trip of a life time for me and hopefully an annual event. I promise I won't bring the CA mentality with me ;):D

S
SNDSLGR
Sounds like the makings of a great trip for sure! I think Dodson is where I would go if I had a boat and was looking for lots of action. Hopefully some of the boat hounds will chime in for you.

F
Fish Fight
Seon said:
I'll be headed up your way in two weeks for some 1st time Sturgeon fishing on the Columbia. I'll be departing Sac area on the 18th, spend the night at Grants Pass and arrive in Portland on the 19th. Being it's the only campgrounds I know, I'll check in Ainsworth State campgrounds for the night then look around for another campground that's not right next to the train tracks :rolleyes:. I'll be towing my 19' center console boat and a 8' camper on my truck. If anyone can recommend a campground that's near the Columbia river that's clean and quiet, please let me know. I'll be up there for about 10-14 days so a lead would help. Looking forward in possibly meeting fellow Sturgeon fishermen there.

Oh yeah, I'll have an open seat so PM me if you're interested. BTW I know how "wives" are regarding fishing with an unknown fisherman so here's my bio...senior citizen, retired mechanical engineer that worked at the Pentagon Wash. D.C., married to my high school sweetheart for 43 years :cool:;) and love to fish.

Check out Oxbow Park, McIvar State Park. Oxbow is closer to the Columbia, I've never camped ther and don't know much about it other than it's along the Sandy River and there won't be any trains there.

McIvar Park is almost in my back yard, it's takes me about 35 mins to get to Rooster Rock State Park. There's no trains at McIvar Park.

The winds can get blowing very hard in the gorge and can shut you off the Columbia River in the Ainsworth area so having a plan "B" is a good thing.

The Shad should be running in a week or two and that's always fun.

Are you experienced with anchoring in a swift river?

Do you have a river anchor and puller?

Are you going after oversize or keepers or just what ever?

Have you considered booking a guide so you can see first hand how it's done on the Columbia?

F
Fish Fight
Hope your back is strong

S
Seon
Fish Fight said:
Are you experienced with anchoring in a swift river?

Do you have a river anchor and puller?

Are you going after oversize or keepers or just what ever?

Have you considered booking a guide so you can see first hand how it's done on the Columbia?

panderson has offered to "train" me in the art of anchoring when I get up there...and if the shads are in, we'll fish for bait.

Black Talon has offered to loan me his anchoring system and will fish with me.

I'd like to target what ever is hunger.

I've considered a guide but decided otherwise.

FOR ALL: Thanks so much for your replies and PM's. I really appreciate all the encouragement and advice received.

Looking forward in meeting some of you fellow fishermen. Four days and a wake-up ;).

S
SNDSLGR
Has anyone been out with or heard from our friend Seon? Hope he is catching fish like crazy!

B
BlackTalon
Seon

Seon

I was out with him today as a matter of fact. He was having boat trouble so we were out in my boat. He is enjoying the weather and the scenery. May have to leave soon if boat is not fixed.

I will let him tell you about the fishing when he gets a chance.

Evan

P
panderson01
SNDSLGR said:
Has anyone been out with or heard from our friend Seon? Hope he is catching fish like crazy!

I was out with him last Wed & Thurs for some anchor training and we started at Oregon City, did some training, caught some Shad, then down river for a few shakers.

We hunted Gators on Thurs on the Columbia, but only managed a couple of shakers.

I heard he did better the last couple of days. I'm sure we will get a full report when he gets back home.

-Paul

S
Seon
Hi All, I just arrived home after a great week fishing on the Columbia. Special thanks to panderson aka Paul who taught me the art of anchoring, fishing for Shad and taking the next day to accompany my son and I on the Columbia for some Sturgeon. Another special thanks to Black Talon aka Evan who offered the use of his anchoring system and for taking us out in his boat last Monday because my boat developed an "electrical Gremlin". My son and I, along with Benny a fellow CA fisherman who joined us for a couple of days thoroughly enjoyed fishing for Sturgeons. For Commodore and SNDSLGR...sorry for not being able to fish together but will try the next time I'm up there.
BTW we did manage to boat a 9'-er and a 12'-er.

An finally, thanks to all who pm'd me to share helpful suggestions and advice. Till next time...tight lines.

Here's a pic of my son's 9'-er.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
Fishtopher
Man, I still have ?'s!! Ya gotta finish the story man!

Did you find a campground off the Columbia? What was wrong with the boat? How did you like the trip through the Valley? Did you get into any fish to take home?

Congrats on the fish man! Hope you get to do it every year!

S
Seon
Fishtopher said:
Man, I still have ?'s!! Ya gotta finish the story man!

Did you find a campground off the Columbia? What was wrong with the boat? How did you like the trip through the Valley? Did you get into any fish to take home?

Congrats on the fish man! Hope you get to do it every year!

Just woke up after that long drive back. I checked-in at Ainsworth state camp grounds and was lucky to get a site that was up and further from the train tracks so I the noise was minimal.

The problem with the boat is the ignition switch. I think it's the safety neutral switch. I checked the wiring system out with an ohmn meter...all functional including the gauges. So when I turn the key to the start position, nothing. Then I raised and lowered the outdrive a couple of times and turn the key to start the motor and it starts. It happened twice but the last time, after lifting the outdrive a couple of times, it didn't start. Paul was kind enough to give me his mechanic's number which I called but the mechanic said that if it needed parts it may take a couple of days to get. So with that in mind, I decided to call it a day rather than sit around and can't fish.

As for bringing fish home, no. I was out for the fishing and the plan wasn't to bring any home. Rest assure, I'll be back soon...maybe in late June early July when those hogs are really hitting ;).

Top Bottom