Two rivers fished today

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Fished Mckenzie River below Leaburg Dam this morning. Went from Walterville School putin, down to Hendricks Park. Did very well using Thomas Buoyant 1/4 oz. Silver. Had to line my boat away from a down tree root wad that hangs out of the bank where you need to go through. I took my son with me today as it was our "Opening Day" on the McKenzie. Stopped at the Leaburg Fire Station "Pancake Breakfast". Something about those "beer-battered cakes" that bring me back year after year. After taking my boat out at Hendrick's Park, my son say's, "Lets go fish the Willy"!!!! So after hitting McDonalds, we set off to put in a drift from Dexter Dam down to Pengra Landing. Water level is far below summertime and made it somewhat interesting making our way down the river. I decided to go left at the powerline below the Dam as I use to fish that section a long time ago. There was some rock rubbin' going on through most of the riffels, and I got out and obsearved another tree wad in my path plus a drop. I squeeked through with very little room to do the manuver. We did not get any hits until almost the end of our drift when my son picked up a steelhead smoult which provided a wakeup call to me as it was one of those rare days on that section that there is no bites. Let my son grab the oars through some of the easy water as someday he may take the helm. We had a very good day together and brought home some of those pellet heads to fry up tomorrow. Had several rain showers in the late morning and early afternoon. Lots of nesting birds along the way. It was a very good day!!! Fred:clap::clap::clap:

J
JeannaJigs
Sounds like a great day. Where was the root wad at on the mac? I'm gonna try to get up there sometime soon. There's some gnarly water from Dexter to pengra but I've never seen it real low. Only ran it in my boat once in December. Was my boats maiden voyage actually

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
The rootwad is down stream from the Walterville School putin. I would go up from there and put in at the bridge towards Deerhorn and do not take the channel that feeds the power canel, stay to the main flow to the south and you should do fine. Ya see, that putin that I used feeds the power canel and then you pass by a bunch of engineered rock buffet to protect the base for the plant. You come around the corner and then you see this tree with its rootwad hangin' out exactly where you need to go. I got out and checked out where I needed to go. My son stayed in the boat and I had him put down the anchor which kept the transom from flyin into the tree and I pulled the bow with my bow line. It worked for me. It was a two person job. Always get out and check out anything that you do not like. Your good judgement may save your boat and your life. I did get a little wet but I had a heater with me if I needed it.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
As for the Dexter Dam drift to Pengra Landing, you should go right at the powerlines. Most everyone goes that way. You have a somewhat major rapid about halfway which is called the "Rockpile". I would rate it a Class 2 rapid. Stay to the left entering the wash towards the Rockpile, and there are a few rocks that you will have to move left to right as you go down into the rapid. The next rapid is the "Swirl Hole". I would rate this as a Class 2+ rapid. Stay slightly left as you enter the wash so that you can pull left when you get into the hole. Do not get into the backwash on the right side of the swirl as it might take your boat where you do not want to go. Other than that, most of the drift is faily understandable as you read the water. As always, pull over when in doubt. Walk down and look at it or watch someone go through as an example.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I never knew you could set in at the school and get back to the main channel. Good to know. I left boat at home and took some friends to fish from the bank at the bottom of the rapids just before the Hendricks ramp. Looked like a great day to be on the water. Too bad my driftboat is upside down on sawhorses getting refinished right now. I was hoping to have it done by the time the fishing got good but I'm already a couple months late since we had such a mild winter. Thanks for the update on the Willy. How was the water color?

Thanks for the great post.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
The color on the Willy was still to muddy for my Thomas, but I throw Silver almost every time. Just not enough water to fish where I usually do, but it also created some new gravel bars and dancing waters that I hit. Drifting from Pengra to Jasper would have been a pain to go through those delta pour-offs. Glad I stayed high this time.;)

R
ryno28
Fish-On Fred said:
The color on the Willy was still to muddy for my Thomas, but I throw Silver almost every time. Just not enough water to fish where I usually do, but it also created some new gravel bars and dancing waters that I hit. Drifting from Pengra to Jasper would have been a pain to go through those delta pour-offs. Glad I stayed high this time.;)

how bad of a pain would it be to go from pengra to jasper cause i take my raft down there and do some fishing? would it still be ok for me to take my raft down that way and slam some fish?

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
With the water level as it was yesterday, I would opt to go to a different section as that particular drift has several delta areas where the water gets divided up several ways. You may have to drag your raft over some skimpy water or deal with log structure as I did. Best of luck if you decide to go that drift. It may take longer than you think. Fred

T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds like a very nice day fred. Glad you and your son got to enjoy it.