Twisted line...

J
JMac
I've been doing a lot of trolling from my canoe lately and have been getting my line twisted really badly. I've been fishing with light gear spinning gear for over twenty years but have never really done much trolling like I am now. I'm using a light action spinning rod/reel with 6lb test and trolling small spinners. I suspect its because i have not been using a swivel leader because I just don't like adding all that extra silver shiny stuff. :think: Also, I've noticed that a lot of you spin fishermen are using braided line. Sounds good. Is it a lot more expensive?

C
chris61182
I'm quite opinionated when it comes to braided line, you won't catch me fishing with anything else (unless I have no other choice). It is more expensive, last I saw PowerPro and Spiderwire are both around $11-13 per 150yd spool, but doesn't need to be changed nearly as often. So in the long run I believe you come out ahead with braid just on frequency of line changes alone. Let alone any benefits on lures not lost due to being able to pull free.

As for the twisting, braid won't reduce the twisting, it's just less sensitive to it and won't coil up or any other number of bad things as quickly as mono. To combat the twisting you'll need to add a swivel to your lure or possible slow down.

By the way, I like your style of fishing, it sounds very minimalistic which is what I try and aim for.

Last edited:
J
JMac
Thanks Chris..will have to give the braided line a shot and put a swivel on there this time.

F
FishSchooler
At fisherman's marine, they are selling 300 yd spools for around 15 bucks last time I was there. Turns out that the lighter the line, the cheaper last time I was there!

H
halibuthitman
make sure your rod has porcellin or nickle plated guides if your going with spider wire... the stuff is tuff!!

O
Outdrsmn
a bait caster set up will help with this.

Troutski
Troutski
Line twist..

Line twist..

When using a spinning reel for long line trolling I use a "Black ball bearing swivel" 24 inches above my lure. After about twenty hours of trolling I take all terminal tackle off and open the bail; put the motor into gear and at about 5 mph let all the line out except a few wraps on the spool. Then take a towel/rag and moisten it, grab the line between to fingers and reel the line back on to the spool (with the motor in neutral);). It takes 80% of the twist out and you get your line cleaned, after about a half year I put the extra spool on my reel and take the reel with the line on it and rewind the line on the new spool. Now you have the new line on the top and the older line on the bottom, on piece of advice; when using braided line be sure to put about 4-6 wraps of mono or fluorocarbon then secure the two lines with a blood knot. It keeps the braided line from spinning on the spool, tough to us your drag when this happens...don't ask me how I know this, but it is true.
As much as I detest Berkley I do use their Fireline...great stuff. I use 6 # on my Koke reel,8 # on all my spinning reels and 12 # on my Bass reel. Wonderful stuff.

Chuck

G
Green_Tackle
I agree with Troutski. When I'm trolling from my raft for trout, I use a high-quality black barrel swivel a couple feet above the lure. If the line does start getting twisted, I troll the line for a bit without the lure or swivel attached and reel it back in. Twist is gone.

I can't give an opinion as to braided vs. monofilament or fluorocarbon lines. I always use Bioline because it's biodegradable.

18406ej
18406ej
What is the lifespan of Bioline? Does it degrade fast in water?

G
Green_Tackle
Bioline will break down naturally in the environment in about 5 years, and lasts (with 100% strength) for about 10 months on your spool. Many of us fishing often would be changing our line every season anyway. However, I have a surf fishing rig that I only use once or twice a year. On that one I use a monofilament mainline and bioline leaders and simply change out the leaders each time. Bioline's website discusses the technology a bit and how/when it degrades.

It's pretty cool stuff and made here in Oregon (Portland).

18406ej
18406ej
Thanks, I will have to look into it.

J
JMac
Thanks guys.Black ball bearing swivel it is...and thanks for the tip about taking off the tackle and just pulling the line to rid the twist. Looking forward to trying this this weekend. Those line twists were really starting to get to me.

F
FishSchooler
JMac said:
Thanks guys.Black ball bearing swivel it is...and thanks for the tip about taking off the tackle and just pulling the line to rid the twist. Looking forward to trying this this weekend. Those line twists were really starting to get to me.

You can also do this in a medium current straight part of a river. I need to do this time too, cause sometimes when I try to cast/open the bail... Spriong *twists and knots up*!

C
chris61182
Troutski said:
when using braided line be sure to put about 4-6 wraps of mono or fluorocarbon then secure the two lines with a blood knot. It keeps the braided line from spinning on the spool, tough to us your drag when this happens...don't ask me how I know this, but it is true.

That works, but I'll also share my favored technique. Tie the braid to the spool like you would mono, do a wrap or two of the spool with the braid, put down a piece of tape at least 1/2 way around the spool, and now finish putting your braid on like normal. The tape both holds the first few wraps in place and provides something for the braid on top to bite into.