Turkey season?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I have a question for all you hunters here and it won't take long for everyone to figure out that I am not a hunter. Is there a certain time of year for hunting turkeys? The reason I'm asking is that Autofisher and I saw a flock of about 40 fatties roaming one of the less populated areas here in town. Not even sure if they are good for eating,but there were sure a bunch of 'em. There are usually a bunch around the fields here,too. Thanks.

M
metalmania
General season starts mid-april, but there are also controlled seasons for them.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks MM

Thanks MM

Thanks metalmania. I just had a feeling there was a regulated season for them. Are they any good to eat and do many hunt for them?

T
Throbbit _Shane
theres a crap load of them over by the Applegate area in southern oregon. i was headin to the lake one day and there was a flock crossing the road.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Throbbit _Shane said:
theres a crap load of them over by the Applegate area in southern oregon. i was headin to the lake one day and there was a flock crossing the road.

:lol::lol: Well,I'm not sure how many constitute a "crap load" but there was a bunch of 'em. :lol::lol:

M
Mike123
They bunch up in big groups during winter and break up into smaller groups during mating season in the Spring. That's why you see so large of numbers in the winter.

Soooo, Barb, do you have land that needs to be hunted this Spring? :D

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Mike123 said:
They bunch up in big groups during winter and break up into smaller groups during mating season in the Spring. That's why you see so large of numbers in the winter.

Soooo, Barb, do you have land that needs to be hunted this Spring? :D

Don't I wish! ;) Surely there must be a lot of places around here though. I know one of the land barons on highway 22 puts out a sign for goose hunting nearly every year. It's the property just before the "Stinky Bridge" if you're heading toward the coast. Don't know about turkeys,though.

M
Mike123
Raincatcher said:
Don't I wish! ;) Surely there must be a lot of places around here though. I know one of the land barons on highway 22 puts out a sign for goose hunting nearly every year. It's the property just before the "Stinky Bridge" if you're heading toward the coast. Don't know about turkeys,though.

Oh darn! :)

Hmmm.. I'll keep that in mind, though I think I may finally be in fishing mode!

F
fishkiller
You are better off breasting them out. I normally cook the breasts in garlic and olive oil. They tend to be gamey. Kill em all they are starting to take over.:)

M
Markcanby
As most Game goes the young are the best. But for Me wild turkey is much better then farm. There is a Spring Turkey but its Roster Only. In the fall you can shoot either sex that is the hunt I plan to shoot for next year. It runs Sept to 31 of Dec its a draw but pretty much a guarantee. I know there are a bunch of them on the west side of town there I had wait 5min for a flock to cross the road a couple years back.

M
Mike123
fishkiller said:
You are better off breasting them out. I normally cook the breasts in garlic and olive oil. They tend to be gamey. Kill em all they are starting to take over.:)

Only reason they "take over" people's places is jack asses feed them ILLEGALLY.
Makes hunting them really hard on public land. :confused:

T
TTFishon
I've heard turkeys aren't that good eating but wouldn't it depend on where they lived just like anything else?

O
Outdoor_Myers
Raincatcher said:

Is Dallas close to Mac? cause I'll have to find that place and many other public/private hunting areas near here next year and fishing spots /sigh so much to do!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Outdoor_Myers said:
Is Dallas close to Mac? cause I'll have to find that place and many other public/private hunting areas near here next year and fishing spots /sigh so much to do!

Head down 99W til you get to the hwy 22 junction and follow the signs to Dallas. I think it's around 20-25 miles.

M
Mike12
Wild turkey is great and if you cook it right they are even better i am doing some Turkey hunting this year april15-May31 For spring turkey they are not as easy to get as most think you will need to learn some kind of calling being a box call,reed call, slate call there is also electronic ones plus you will need to find there paths they use the turkeys will use a path for example like a circle they go from the roost and eat all day and the toms only seem to hang with the hens during mating and the jakes will hang with the hens a lot too i am learning a lot of this myself this is my first year of actually going last year didn't work out to swell ,but i did get a lot of reading in and practicing with the box call and this year i just started learning the slate at the sportsmen show we had at the expo. You can go to odfw website they have hunting and accses maps that will show you areas to go and you can call odfw for maps, also turkeys can spur you and some can be very long so be careful.

K
Kodiak
Stoopid Turkies!

Stoopid Turkies!

Here's the deal with turkies in Oregon. Aprox. 80% are on private property. The ones on private are hormonally driven and it doesn't take much to caox a tom into range of a hot load of 2's. Ive hunted them in montana and oregon...the ones in Montana would come running if you accidently honked your car horn, the ones in Oregon aren't even that smart.....just get in front of them, sit quietly and don't move. Keep obsticles like fences and creeks from comming between you and them. As the turkies come into visual range, cluck a couple of times and then be quiet..tom will think a hen is running off to nest and he will come after her wating for her to come out...stoopid bird will end up 30 yrds in front looking for a lady friend..then BLAMO! Turkey leftovers. I watched this technique work repeatedly work one season. I "guided" my brother and 10 of his closest friends on a three day turkey tag filling spree. Turkies have a brain the size of a steelhead. They are not smart.

M
Mike12
Where do you hunt in oregon section like southernwest?
Kodiak said:
Here's the deal with turkies in Oregon. Aprox. 80% are on private property. The ones on private are hormonally driven and it doesn't take much to caox a tom into range of a hot load of 2's. Ive hunted them in montana and oregon...the ones in Montana would come running if you accidently honked your car horn, the ones in Oregon aren't even that smart.....just get in front of them, sit quietly and don't move. Keep obsticles like fences and creeks from comming between you and them. As the turkies come into visual range, cluck a couple of times and then be quiet..tom will think a hen is running off to nest and he will come after her wating for her to come out...stoopid bird will end up 30 yrds in front looking for a lady friend..then BLAMO! Turkey leftovers. I watched this technique work repeatedly work one season. I "guided" my brother and 10 of his closest friends on a three day turkey tag filling spree. Turkies have a brain the size of a steelhead. They are not smart.

K
Kodiak
I know a few spots around Salem. Bunch of moron turkeys if you get access.

M
Mike12
Thats way up there,lol I am in gold hill.

M
Mike123
Best way to hunt turkeys is go find a place where they always are on private property, and usually that property will border timber property.. Go do some scouting on where they travel. Then opening morning just try to call them off the private land onto public and put the hurtin' on one. That's what I do every year. Those toms aren't that stupid... the hens and jakes, yea, pretty dumb. It's pretty funny when someone denies you access to go hunt their property, so you then just go sit on their property line and call their prescious turkey's off thier land and decapitate one of them. hahaha

Last edited: