Tuna

M

madoc

Howdy all,

I was wondering when the best time is to go out for tuna? Not that I have a boat, but I know a couple of people who do. And hopefully, I may know more?:pray:

Cheers,
Madoc

S

Silverlion

I know a few people are planning to go Saturday morning. They will leave out of Astoria.

A

ArcticAmoeba

Garibaldi in the Summer! I have run a 33 foot Striper that my neighbor owns. Albacore'n is the most fun you can have on rod, and reel! Look for the blue water, the temperature breaks, and small pockets of rising bait fish... The fish are going to be pretty far out right now, maybe in excess of 50 nuatical miles out from shore. But later in the year they move in close. Sometimes less than 25 miles out. Squid skirts, and spreaders man. All you will need. Here is the death box after the very first pass through a school that we dominated for over 4 hours. Hundreds of fish to the boat that week, and smoke, then glass can your Tuna. It will blow the Chicken of The Sea out of the friggin barrel!

Last edited:
F

Fish Fight

The TUNA are not in our waters yet, there haven't been any reports from the commies or commies selling any at the docks.

It's hard to tell when they will show, this years predictions are for cold water but not as bad as last year. I'm guessing by the 2nd week of july they'll be in range of the sport boats (at least I'm praying they will).

2007 they showed the 2nd week of June, at least I caught my first one of the year at that time.

2008 it wasn't until the end of July that they came in close enough for my boat and I still had to run out to the 125 line to catch them.

Last edited:
A

ArcticAmoeba

No doubt. They are still somewhere between Japan, and here! I got into my first last year, really late. Like in mid August, and the B-10 dominators all shelled out cash for fresh Tuna all season long! But yeah they were pretty far out until the bitter end last year. Hope they get inside of 125, or somewhere close before July, but I am really doubting it for now... Wishfull thinking for Tuna fishers! I love it though. The only time of year where I don't sleep more than an hour or two at a time, for a straight week!

F

Fish Fight

Hey Artic good to meet another brother of the salt, have you been out after the butts yet?

A

ArcticAmoeba

No unfortunately not. I would love too, but I only fish the salt, salt about a dozen days a year. I fish the estuary too, mostly gators though. But I only get out once or twice a year for Tuna, and few more times for the Pelagics. It is cool to see a few more guys that like the big water game as much as my friends and I do! Someday I will own a sled and it will see the Salt, but until then. I'm a deckhand!;):lol:

Top Bottom