Tumalo Creek Fishing?

S
Spydeyrch
So, I am contemplating fishing Tumalo Creek but haven't really heard anything good or bad about it. Anyone out there fish it and give a good review or suggestion about it? I am thinking about doing it probably come late spring or early summer 2013.

Thanks y'all.

Take care.

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
Are you talking about the one here in Central Oregon?

S
Spydeyrch
steelhead_slayer said:
Are you talking about the one here in Central Oregon?

Yup, that one. I camped out at Tumalo State Park about 2 years ago and the water was kind of high and off-color at that time, but now when I think back to that time, I recognize what could be some nice water to fish in. I also read an article ... at least I think it was an article :think:. It might have been a report on here though. I can't remember for sure. But anywho, what I read was about someone fishing Tumalo creek and getting the snap beat out of them by a huge brown. Come to think of it, I think that it was here that I read about it, but again, I am not sure 100%

So, my wife has been wanting to get more into camping (i.e. car camping, i.e. drive to a state park, pitch a tent, and sleep in it. Must have bathrooms!!!) and I thought that perhaps Tumalo State Park would be great cause I could go fishing and it is nice and warm/hot in the summer there, which she loves, coming form a hot climate herself.

What are your thoughts on it?

-Spydey

S
steelhead_slayer
Tumalo state park is actually on the Deschutes. There is good fishing there. It's gets better the farther from the park you go.

O
OnTheFly
Make your reservation early.

F
FlyBum
There's so many other/better options just a little further out of town and don't cost 30 bucks for a campsite either!

F
flyguy202011
Honest not worth it, unless yah want to catch 8 inchers all day? Best bet would be lower bridge road or above lower bridge road, or steelhead falls area. Good place to take your kids to float tho. Thanks, Robert

S
Spydeyrch
steelhead_slayer said:
Tumalo state park is actually on the Deschutes. There is good fishing there. It's gets better the farther from the park you go.

Interesting. I guess that I never actually looked at a map of the state park and thus didn't realize that it was actually the Deschutes there and not Tumalo creek. Thanks for the clarification. :dance:

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
FlyBum said:
There's so many other/better options just a little further out of town and don't cost 30 bucks for a campsite either!

Better options as far as camping? I will have my wife and young kids with me so bathrooms are a requirement. What would you recommend?

-Spydey

J
JHawk
I tried fly fishing it this past summer and thought it was pretty brushy and a little difficult to fish. The fish I caught were generally faily small (6-8"). Pretty area though. I had more fun on the Fall though and there are campgrounds down that way too.