Tui chub?

T
Trojan
On Sunday, the kids and I went out to Dog Lake, and hooked into this bad boy. It hit on a Bomber 6A, and was around 15" long. All I can figure is that it is a Chub, but I've never heard of one getting that big, and I thought they were more of a golden color. Any ideas?

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
M
Modest_Man
Do you have a shot that shows the mouth?

M
mikeredding
Can't see the mouth but my money is on Whitefish

M
Modest_Man
mikeredding said:
Can't see the mouth but my money is on Whitefish

Whitefish have an adipose fin...

E
eugene1
Modest_Man said:

Yep, whitefish are related to pacific salmon, they have an adipose.

Reactions: Throbbit _Shane
M
Modest_Man
I think you're probably correct with the tui chub identification though I can't say for sure without a better shot of the mouth/head. The very visible lateral line is a pretty good feature.

W
waco
Modest_Man said:

Hatchery??? :think: :think: :lol:

M
Mad dog
Tui Chub for sure!!!
Very common in the Klamath basin, I have caught 1,000's of them! We used to catch them in the Sprague while fishing worms for trout. Some of the biggest Tui chubs I have seen came out of the Lost river or Upper Klamath lake, 18"-20" being about the biggest. Considered a nuisance fish by bait fisherman, I think they are protected in the Klamath basin watershed now.

T
Trojan
Modest_Man said:
I think you're probably correct with the tui chub identification though I can't say for sure without a better shot of the mouth/head. The very visible lateral line is a pretty good feature.
Negative on any other pictures. I wasn't sure what it was, so I snapped that one and got the fish back into the water.

The mouth was carp-like.
Mad dog said:
Tui Chub for sure!!!
Very common in the Klamath basin, I have caught 1,000's of them! We used to catch them in the Sprague while fishing worms for trout. Some of the biggest Tui chubs I have seen came out of the Lost river or Upper Klamath lake, 18"-20" being about the biggest. Considered a nuisance fish by bait fisherman, I think they are protected in the Klamath basin watershed now.
Thank you, sir