Fishing Tualatin River

Y
YoungWig
I'm taking my Kayak out to the Tualatin river this weekend and am looking at doing some fishing with my buddy. Are there any rules/ regulations to this river? If so where would I find those? Also do anyone have any good set ups or ideas on what is working right now? I was thinking of trying to get some bass so either sinkos or spinners.

bass
bass
From the regs:

Tualatin River (Clack./Washington Co.)
1. From mouth upstream to Hwy 47 bridge at Gaston
• Open for trout May 23-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day.
• Use of bait allowed May 23-Oct. 31.
• Open for coho salmon Aug. 1-Oct. 31.

2. Mainstem and Tributaries upstream from Hwy 47 bridge, and Tualatin River Basin tributaries not listed
• Open for trout May 23-Oct. 31, 2 trout per day.
• Angling restricted to artificial flies and lures.

I recommend getting a copy of the regulations. I check them every time I fish somewhere new. Oregon has so many special cases it is impossible for me to remember the regs - even for a water I fish fairly often.

Y
YoungWig
Thanks for the info. Ill look it up.

EOBOY
EOBOY
Youngwig where you thinking of putting in? I live just a short walk from the tuwal. Rood Bridge park Very snaggy Have put my Canoe in a couple of times but couldn't get very far. Some say there are Bass but Others say Not this far up. Never caught one, have tried. Just above the put in is an old dam, an old timer I know grew up here said you can pull a small boat over the dam on the left side because of old concrete blocks. He said there were huge trout just above the dam.

Now that I think of it I forgot what he told me so I think I'll check it out. I tried once to go up the chute where they breached the dam couldn't make it by myself. If I'd of had a front man we MIGHT have made it. I may check it out tomorrow.

EOBOY

Fishwhisperer44
Fishwhisperer44
I took my son out there yesterday for a couple of hours. we caught 3 very small bass on plastics. I'd be interested to hear how you do. Where are you thinking of launching?

T
tomriker
goodluck! always wanted to try yak fishing

Y
YoungWig
I'm going to head over to cook park tonight with my lady friend and check out the area. Probably wont do any fishing but will be looking for some good spots. Then tomorrow morning I'm thinking of getting up early and going out there and fishing a few of the holes that i hopefully find. I will keep everyone posted on my success. I had a buddy a few weeks back get into a few bass and bluegill in that area.

bass
bass
EOBOY said:
Youngwig where you thinking of putting in? I live just a short walk from the tuwal. Rood Bridge park Very snaggy Have put my Canoe in a couple of times but couldn't get very far. Some say there are Bass but Others say Not this far up. Never caught one, have tried. Just above the put in is an old dam, an old timer I know grew up here said you can pull a small boat over the dam on the left side because of old concrete blocks. He said there were huge trout just above the dam.

Now that I think of it I forgot what he told me so I think I'll check it out. I tried once to go up the chute where they breached the dam couldn't make it by myself. If I'd of had a front man we MIGHT have made it. I may check it out tomorrow.

EOBOY

Wow, I just looked at google maps and saw that dam. I have never launched at Rood Bridge and I never knew that dam existed. Definitely looks like a good spot. I usually launch at Cook park or Tualatin City park. Both are easy launches and there is a ton of great water up and downstream from either.

Youngwig, just remember the T is an extremely snaggy river so use cheap lures. I mostly fish with soft plastic on a jig head - it catches a lot of fish and I don't cry when I snag one up. I only throw crankbaits when I have my lure retriever with me.

D
DrTheopolis
Lots of great spots around Cook or Tualatin Community Park. Cook has a better ramp and parking. It's very slow moving water, so you should be able to go up or downstream at will. I've caught a few very small smallmouth there, and pikeminnow like they're going out of style. Just below the ramp at Cook (and just above Community Park) is a big bend where Fanno Creek comes in -- usually lots of carp around there.

Like Bass said, it's extremely snaggy in places, so fish cheap. And a nightcrawler, whether dunked or slow-trolled isn't going to go unmolested long there.

You'll catch fish. Have fun.

Y
YoungWig
Just wanted to follow up and let everyone know that I hit the Tualatin River over the weekend and landed 2 smallies and a hand full of blue gill. I tried a variety of different things, jigs, cranks, other lures, and live worms. I defiantly will be going back. Also thinking of going and running around over by Ross island. I went for a kayak float out there Sunday and saw some good spots where i think some bass would be on the back side of the island. I also saw 100's of Carp which would be fun to catch but idk about handling those nasty fish... almost worth hooking then just cutting the line. I didn't have my rod with me so I didn't attempt any fishing.