Tualatin Ponds

N
Noahk
Has anyone fished these spots? I marked four small ponds between Tualatin-Sherwood Road and Herman. I think all of them have water all year but I'm not sure if there are actually fish in them or really if you're even allowed to fish in them. My office is super close and it would be fun to be able to fish them at lunch.

Tualatin UntitledPonds - Google Maps

T
Throbbit _Shane
Go down there and if they arnt marked with private property signs fish them! Id use a "5 senko style worm. Maybe some big bass are in there.

troutdude
troutdude
Throbbit and Noah...that is NOT a good idea at all! Private property in Oregon does NOT have to be marked with any signs. If you are caught on private land without owner's consent, you ARE trespassing. You can be arrested for trespassing, even it the land is unmarked. It is INADVISABLE without proper owner consent. I only mention this for your protection (and I don't have the money to bail you guys out).

BTW, those ponds look like they be on/OFF trib's of the Tualatin River. True?

N
Noahk
Well one of them is really more of a fountain that it is a pond (#4), but I know there are carp and catfish in a similar one out in Beaverton. I haven't ever tried for carp so I just wanted to get an idea of what if anything might be in them. But if not I will certainly go down there and give them a shot!

N
Noahk
troutdude said:
Throbbit and Noah...that is NOT a good idea at all! Private property in Oregon does NOT have to be marked with any signs. If you are caught on private land without owner's consent, you ARE trespassing. You can be arrested for trespassing, even it the land is unmarked. It is INADVISABLE without proper owner consent. I only mention this for your protection (and I don't have the money to bail you guys out).

BTW, those ponds look like they be on/OFF trib's of the Tualatin River. True?
I don't think they actually connect to the Tualatin but I'm not 100% sure, also one of the reason I was asking about them. I'd really prefer to not get arrested on my lunch break!

troutdude
troutdude
Noahk said:
I don't think they actually connect to the Tualatin but I'm not 100% sure, also one of the reason I was asking about them. I'd really prefer to not get arrested on my lunch break!

LOL.

Those ponds could potentially hold any number of (mostly warm water) fish: carp, cats, pikes, bass, 'gills, crappie...etc. Good luck.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Those *are* all private property - and the property owners/managers aren't keen on letting the public fish them, at least they weren't when I've inquired before. They didn't want the liability of having random people out in their wetlands and potentially injuring themselves or drowning. Very nice looking little bodies of water - but unless you can convince the owners to let you on - I'd leave them be unless you want to face trespassing charges :(

T
Throbbit _Shane
GungasUncle said:
Those *are* all private property - and the property owners/managers aren't keen on letting the public fish them, at least they weren't when I've inquired before. They didn't want the liability of having random people out in their wetlands and potentially injuring themselves or drowning. Very nice looking little bodies of water - but unless you can convince the owners to let you on - I'd leave them be unless you want to face trespassing charges :(

Well there's your answer. Too many of the great looking ponds are private. Oh Well.

N
Noahk
Well once it warms up a bit I still might see if I can make some new friends. They might just be open to it for no other reason that to see a guy in a white dress shirt and tie fishing in their pond!

A
adambomb
My work is also very close to this area and from my experience in wetland management I can say for sure that the 3 western most ponds are purely storm water runoff. They are not connected to the Tualatin in any notable capacity. The western most one was man made in 07' and is no more than 2' deep. The middle two are "native" wetlands, and the eastern most one is obviously a man made fountain/lake. I have always wondered about this pond at a blueberry farm. Google Maps

R
ryan808
The ponds at Ponzi Vineyards looks even better.

T
tomriker
Throbbit _Shane said:
Well there's your answer. Too many of the great looking ponds are private. Oh Well.

you know how to fix that shane? buy/dig a lake and you can do w/e you want with it :D

B
Born2Fish55
FYI - I have 'earned' the right to fish quite a bit of private land by providing the owner with a pre-printed card that list my name, address, phone number, vehicle description and license number, a list of Oregon fishing & hunting clubs that I am a member of.
And I offer to clean up the areas or even do some light work in exchange for the right to fish/hunt the property. I also look like a outdoorsman and not a convict or transient. I drive up to their property when they are present, am polite, and do what I say I am going to do.
This has earned me the right to fish multiple private Oregon ponds, streams and rivers. Some will ask for payment to use the property or park there, but most, after the initial shock of my asking have given me permission without hesitation. Since I have been doing this, I have actually made some new friends, as well as some fishing buddies, as some join me for some fishing and to ask about the various organizations that I belong to.
And remember it is their property.... don't act upset if they say, "no"... just thank them for their time... some may surprise you by reversing their first decision.

p.s. I get to fish a lot of private properties in Washington, Yamhill and Columbia Counties like this.

Reactions: bigsteel
T
Throbbit _Shane
Thanks for the reply! The places i have in mind though are bass ponds. I think the owners might think differently then if it were for turkeys or on a river. You never know unless you give it a shot. Thanks again for the tips :D

Reactions: bigsteel
B
bigsteel
Born2Fish55 said:
FYI - I have 'earned' the right to fish quite a bit of private land by providing the owner with a pre-printed card that list my name, address, phone number, vehicle description and license number, a list of Oregon fishing & hunting clubs that I am a member of.
And I offer to clean up the areas or even do some light work in exchange for the right to fish/hunt the property. I also look like a outdoorsman and not a convict or transient. I drive up to their property when they are present, am polite, and do what I say I am going to do.
This has earned me the right to fish multiple private Oregon ponds, streams and rivers. Some will ask for payment to use the property or park there, but most, after the initial shock of my asking have given me permission without hesitation. Since I have been doing this, I have actually made some new friends, as well as some fishing buddies, as some join me for some fishing and to ask about the various organizations that I belong to.
And remember it is their property.... don't act upset if they say, "no"... just thank them for their time... some may surprise you by reversing their first decision.

p.s. I get to fish a lot of private properties in Washington, Yamhill and Columbia Counties like this.

excellent post right here,thank you sir...politeness and honesty can go a long ways.i never though of having a card with all my information on it,,i am going to make 1 today..great info here

troutdude
troutdude
X 3 (or 4). Great idea.

I'd also add, that I was taught by my pappy...to leave "things" on the property just the way that I find them. In other words, if a gate is open--leave it open on your way back. If it was closed on the way in; then close it on the way out. It was left open (or closed) for a reason, so leaving "it" the way that you find it; is a good idea.

F
Finneus Polebender
Noahk said:
Well once it warms up a bit I still might see if I can make some new friends. They might just be open to it for no other reason that to see a guy in a white dress shirt and tie fishing in their pond!

can't know till ya ask , prepare to be gunned down but trust me there are still a few "actually very few" generous folks who when presented with an up front honest request to C&R fish will give permission. Think in my case the key was respect and the promise to be safe and responsible when fishing. It truly is due once again unfortunately to liability laywers and those who dont respect private property and ruin it for others . good luck as I know they can be harder to come by up north.

S
smoky
Anyone ever fished the pond right by the Tualatin River next to 99 in King city. Or does anyone know if it’s private property.