Tryon creek? Any thoughts???

R
radke15
Hi yall, just doing some searching like us fly fishers like to do for small untouched spots. I'm currently living in the portland area and have started hear a little bit about tryon creek, a local tributary of the willamette river. there's been reports of just about all the salmonoid species going up through there whether spawning or as residents... just wondering if anyone knows any more about this area? i'd like to fish it, (catch and release of course) but want to make sure it's even allowed there i haven't heard hardly anthing about it yet though.

bass
bass
radke15 said:
Hi yall, just doing some searching like us fly fishers like to do for small untouched spots. I'm currently living in the portland area and have started hear a little bit about tryon creek, a local tributary of the willamette river. there's been reports of just about all the salmonoid species going up through there whether spawning or as residents... just wondering if anyone knows any more about this area? i'd like to fish it, (catch and release of course) but want to make sure it's even allowed there i haven't heard hardly anthing about it yet though.

Let me start by saying that I have never fished Tryon creek.

In the Willamette zone salmon and steelhead is closed in all waters unless noted to be open under special regulations. I believe that targeting these species in closed waters (even for C&R) is illegal. I seems that based on the regs that trout (if they are in that creek) would be open, but I am not positive. Best of luck with whatever you do.

R
radke15
what about cutties? cause they say there's a decent amount of those in there too.

bass
bass
radke15 said:
what about cutties? cause they say there's a decent amount of those in there too.

I would guess that should be fine. Once again, I have never fished there and I have no idea what is in there but it does look interesting. Best of luck if you get out there.

O
o clarki
bass said:
I would guess that should be fine. Once again, I have never fished there and I have no idea what is in there but it does look interesting. Best of luck if you get out there.

I'm all for exploring new water, but I would recommend not fishing it even if it is legal to do so. It is a very distressed watershed - lots of sediment, high water temps, high nutrient load. If you go take a look you'll see what I mean. There are tons of better streams within 45 minutes of downtown where you can C&R to your heart's content.