Trying to break the 3 oz. barrier

R
ryan808
Started a new build this week and was trying to hit the under 3 oz barrier. I finally got a scale today to see how I came out. :doh: I should have gone with EVA on the grips. Ill add another 1.5 oz for the guides and epoxy and probably come out at 4.4 oz.

• IMG_1217.JPG
  • IMG_1219.JPG
  • IMG_1218.JPG
R
ryan808
My first swag at carbon fiber grips. Its OK and it looks cool, but I'll stick with EVA for now.

Its too bad I couldnt reach the 3 oz mark on this build, :rolleyes:, but I went through the stash to see what else I could weight and I found an 7 ft 8-14 rod I built a while back and hit 2.88 mark :dance:.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Nice job! :clap::clap:

R
ryan808
Thanks, its that time of the year again. No fishing and all the time in the world = useless rod building for me.

D
Darthbeans
Yeah those carbon grips are not all that great anyway....tried out a Okuma concept rod today that has them they are not what i would prefer on a swimbait rod at least. gonna have to have you mske a good one for me at some point soon along with a worm rod.

R
ryan808
There's a way to lighten the weight on the grips, but that means investing on a vacuum system. I think it'll take me more than a hand full of grips to get the money back, I think I'll stick to EVA when it comes to light builds. When ever your ready for that swimbait rod let me know, I'm sure we can build one that suits your style.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Darthbeans said:
Yeah those carbon grips are not all that great anyway....tried out a Okuma concept rod today that has them they are not what i would prefer on a swimbait rod at least. gonna have to have you mske a good one for me at some point soon along with a worm rod.

The carbon grips on the Okuma rods are completely different than composite carbon grips used on this rod. With practice the weight of these carbon grips can be up to 40% lighter than premium cork or EVA of the same size and shape.

T
TTFishon
Nice lookin rod Ryan! Can't wait to see the final product!!!

R
ryan808
TT, man I got soo many rod projects right now. I had to put this one to the side to finish 2 other rods for a due this weekend. We gotta get one going for you one of these days, and get it broken in before next year.

T
TTFishon
ryan808 said:
TT, man I got soo many rod projects right now. I had to put this one to the side to finish 2 other rods for a due this weekend. We gotta get one going for you one of these days, and get it broken in before next year.

Sounds good man!