Trout tail??

F
FishSchooler
Haven't been on in a long time due to busy-ness
but this requires a thread

So we went down to the oregon dunes to camp at Honeyman, and we caught two trout the next morning on chartreuse and pink powereggs. One 15 inches and the other around 12 or so. The 15 incher had a strange tail...

DSC_4614.jpg
fish on...

DSC_4653.jpg
cooking

DSC_4650.jpg
what??

Puzzling :think:

my thought was being bitten when young, but by fangs?

Reactions: chris61182
T
Thuggin4Life
Odfw does that to 1 out 100,000 trout that the stock. If you bring the fish back to them you get a $500 reward!

Every once in a while someone at ODFW gets a great idea on genetic alterations to fish. So this one was a test run to see if it improves speed and manuverability to avoid predators. And if it did then the would start genetic testing.

Some one got bored at the hatchery!

I was there last week and my dog almost caught her first fish.

I have no idea but that is a very crazy tail thought I would love to know the answer.

Last edited:
GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Good Job!! My guess would be an Osprey claw.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
So,just to be clear Thuggin,they didn't eat a $500 reward for dinner right!?!

T
Thuggin4Life
no it was a joke.

T
Thuggin4Life
Maybe someone cut it an tossed it back to see if the could catch it again or to mess with the person who caught it next.

F
Finneus Polebender
Thuggin4Life said:
Odfw does that to 1 out 100,000 trout that the stock. If you bring the fish back to them you get a $500 reward!

Every once in a while someone at ODFW gets a great idea on genetic alterations to fish. So this one was a test run to see if it improves speed and manuverability to avoid predators. And if it did then the would start genetic testing.

Some one got bored at the hatchery!

I was there last week and my dog almost caught her first fish.

I have no idea but that is a very crazy tail thought I would love to know the answer.

Looks almost to perfect to be anything other than human intervention , You absolutely had me laughin my A off though thuggin think I would have played that one out for a while that was awesome stuff!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Mine was a bit of a joke too haha. Jokes all around!

H
Hawk
That is a hybrid called 'Devil Fish' trout.

hahaha
:lol::lol::lol:
:cool:

18406ej
18406ej
Looks like something from "The SImpsons". Nice fish, and it looks nice a nice place to catch them

R
rippin fish lips
18406ej said:
Looks like something from "The SImpsons". Nice fish, and it looks nice a nice place to catch them

My favorite lake to fish!!

C
chrisohm
By no means am I an expert but when you look close at the fins you will notice discoloration and almost an eerie sense that it was being attacked by bacteria. This could have happened when it was young due to the shape and growth of the tail. Nice catch though!

L
lilsalmon
hmmmmm can a fish get that far from the Willamette?

T
Thuggin4Life
I always cross pollinate with willamette stock.