Trout stream 1-2 hour drive from Portland?

U
uintaangler
After 25 years of living one time zone east of here and getting dialed in on some fantastic trout fishing ( catch and release, fly fishing ) in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming I moved to Gig Harbor, WA in 2017 and to Portland a month ago and I am in desperate need of a few days on a trout stream (streams) and I don't know where to go
I am retired and would prefer to make it a day trip vs an overnight - I don't currently own a camper.
An hour drive would be nice and two hours each way for good trout in a good stream or river would be doable.
Hiking in is OK but not for miles, not by myself.
Don't need monster trout, but would like to fish for trout that are a decent 12" or more
Please send me a PM with any suggestions - it will do wonders for your fishing karma :D
Thanks,
Bob

troutdude
troutdude
Howdy Bob, Welcome to Oregon and to OFF.

You'll be a tad hard pressed to find a decent stream, within a one hour one-way trip from P-town. But the upper Clackamas and/or the Oak Grove Fork, offer reasonable waters for your bug wand to explore.

But I'd suggest coastal streams right now, for Bluebacks (sea run cutties). Which can range up to 22-24" once in a while. Grab yourself some Borden Specials before you head out. They are truly LEGENDARY flies which were developed decades ago, by Monroe Oregon resident Bob Borden.

Tight lines, TD

troutdude
troutdude

troutdude
troutdude
P.S. The Wilson River is a good bet for Bluebacks.

U
uintaangler
troutdude said:
P.S. The Wilson River is a good bet for Bluebacks.

Wilson River sounds good!
Can anyone provide info on where I can access the river without going through private property?
Thanks

C_Run
C_Run
uintaangler said:
Wilson River sounds good!
Can anyone provide info on where I can access the river without going through private property?
Thanks

I am not familiar with the Wilson but, as a general rule on any of the coastal rivers I know, look for a wide place to park that has a well-worn trail to the river and no "Keep Out" signs. You should be ok and I am sure some exploration will find you some good spots.

troutdude
troutdude
FYI in the state of Oregon private property, doesn't have to be marked by it's owner. If you are caught on private land--by a LEO--you are up that well known tributary, with no visible means of propulsion. I learned that one the hard way, back in the 80's.

However...as you mentioned above @C_Run, most pull outs are right on or near the river. So those spots are typically A-OK.

N
newfydog
Not trout, but there is fly fishing right in downtown Portland:

"Portland is famous for winter rain, rose gardens and all kinds of weird people. I’ve found that toting a fly rod to the river doesn’t faze anyone"

"City Bass" | MidCurrent

Aervax
Aervax
@uintaangler Hello Bob/uintaangler. Welcome to OFF.

It sounds like you and I probably have a few trout streams in common. I was raised on flyfishing waters in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

I moved to Oregon 10 years ago. Since then my fishing methods have broadened to include smallmouth bass, steelhead and salmon. Obviously, there are endless opportunities for fishing those species within a few minutes of Portland. The Willamette and Columbia rivers are as of yet relatively undiscovered world-class smallmouth fisheries.

Smallies are a blast to catch on a fly. Wooly buggers, sliders and poppers will all get you action this time of year. You can do that conveniently on the fly within a few minutes of home without all the planning that would be followed by a long drive to go trout fishing.

I live an hour east of Portland on the Columbia. I have trout stream ideas for you in this area too. I don't really want to publicly advertise those spots. I will send those ideas by private message.

B
BrandonBeach
SW Washington has the best trout streams closest to Portland. More then a few to choose from. I will not post my fav places here, but:

Think major tributaries of the primary steelhead rivers in SW Washington. All have at least some trout, don’t expect consistently large fish.

Do some research, you will find fish. Be carefull, these are mostly small populations of resident fish. These smaller streams can be easily fished out. Some of these streams (creeks) used to get planted in the way back.

Further away, ALL the rivers and streams in the Oakridge area have fishable populations of trout. Again, just a little reasearch and you will find them.

Agree with Aervax, smallies in the willamette are plentiful.

U
uintaangler
Aervax said:

It sounds like you and I probably have a few trout streams in common. I was raised on flyfishing waters in Utah, Idaho and Wyoming.

I moved to Oregon 10 years ago. Since then my fishing methods have broadened to include smallmouth bass, steelhead and salmon. Obviously, there are endless opportunities for fishing those species within a few minutes of Portland. The Willamette and Columbia rivers are as of yet relatively undiscovered world-class smallmouth fisheries.

Smallies are a blast to catch on a fly. Wooly buggers, sliders and poppers will all get you action this time of year. You can do that conveniently on the fly within a few minutes of home without all the planning that would be followed by a long drive to go trout fishing.

I live an hour east of Portland on the Columbia. I have trout stream ideas for you in this area too. I don't really want to publicly advertise those spots. I will send those ideas by private message.

Sent you a PM
Thanks

O
olshiftybiscuits
Aervax said:

@Aervax -- I'm similarly relatively new to Portland and have been spending the last six months or so trying to find exactly what the original poster is after as well! Would you mind if I shot you a PM to pick your brain?

troutdude
troutdude
@uintaangler FYI the vast majority of both inland, and coastal, streams close this Thursday (10/31). So fishing for trout--from Friday until next spring--will be illegal. Trout, for the most part, becomes a lake thing only in the OFF season.

troutdude
troutdude
troutdude said:
@uintaangler FYI the vast majority of both inland, and coastal, streams close this Thursday (10/31). So fishing for trout--from Friday until next spring--will be illegal. Trout, for the most part, becomes a lake thing only in the OFF season.

There are a few exceptions. But you'd need to consult the reg book to find those exceptions.