Trout setup

G
GMR
Just curious if anyone has any Ultralight setup recomendations.
I occassionaly like fishing for trout and would like something better for it.

Right now im leaning towards an Ultralight Uglystick for the rod.
Ive heard a lot of good things and there tough.
(hiking can abuse stuff)

No idea on the spinning reel.. (i just prefer them)
whats a good ultra light reel thats not overly expensive?

H
halibuthitman
I fish an Eagleclaw feather weight and a penn spin reel.... $55 total cost and very fun light creek or perch style rod and it has the perfect amount of action to cast small panther martens for fat little cutts and brookies.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i like using really small shakspeare reels. they got them at wal mart and bi mart. i'm talking the high end ones not the cheap ten dollar ones. they run around 20 bucks i think. i had one that lasted me 2 years and i just recently lost it due to slipping into the water and my combo went downstream. it's good value for the money. they retrieve really smoot too and if you set the drag right it's perferc incase you hook into a big one that might snap your line. they can hold around 110 yards of 2-6lb test probably the smoothest reel for casting ive ever used. they have distance to them.

brandon

Troutski
Troutski
Shimano

Shimano

GMR said:

(hiking can abuse stuff)

How deep is your wallet? The rod you have chosen is a perfect Trout rod, I too like spinning reels...I am and always will be addicted to Shimano reels. Can't say enough about them, I enjoy the Stradic on all my spinning rods; never had one problem-other than the initial investment;) .
You are gonna love the ultra light experience....I never looked back.

Chuck

G
GMR
Troutski
I could probaly manage that amount but I dont tend to fish trout primarily and would rather drop more mony on a larger reel for my other setups. So ill probaly drop $30-$70 on an Ultra Light reel..

Troutdude..
Never was a fan of the rear drag. always felt weird to me.
And I plan to buy somthing localy just so its new and I can handle it befor I buy.

T
Throbbit _Shane
I enjoy my 4ft Shakespere UL. Its held up for years and even has a different tip now.

P
Phil_Bud
GMR said:

(hiking can abuse stuff)

Go to Wal Mart...make sure you stick with the ultra light ugly stick...you canat do better then that...a cardinal reel is what I reccommend. cheaper, it lasts, and it's a fun reel. After that all you need is a couple panther martins, blue fox, and ur crawlers and Power bait.
Trout on.
I would suggest investing some money in a good fly pole set up above all though... Last year I bought a 5 weight rod that I use for trout, blue gill, and bass. and it is a whole different fishin game...way funner...if thats a word.
fish on

G
GMR
Phil_Bud said:
Go to Wal Mart...make sure you stick with the ultra light ugly stick...you canat do better then that...a cardinal reel is what I reccommend. cheaper, it lasts, and it's a fun reel. After that all you need is a couple panther martins, blue fox, and ur crawlers and Power bait.
Trout on.
I would suggest investing some money in a good fly pole set up above all though... Last year I bought a 5 weight rod that I use for trout, blue gill, and bass. and it is a whole different fishin game...way funner...if thats a word.
fish on

Im on strike against buying spinners. I am going to master catching them with the one I MAKE:)
I despise wallmart if I can avoid it.. will probaly drive to Fishermans and pick someting I like out.

As for fly fishing..
its on my list of things to do.. Figure sometime over the Winter Ill get one to learn on.
And come spring ill take my time and learn on the trout in the Wilson..
But till then... Spinners!

C
capblack
i have the yellow eagle claw ultra light, i believe theyre only 20 dollars or so at walmart and bimart or any of the popular marts. ( maybe fishermans as well). Ive been using it for 10 or 15 yrs and dont have any complaints. i tend to shop at bi mart and wal mart any more because the service is better and theyre way cheaper than the fishing stores. good luck, Brian

troutdude
troutdude
GMR said:
Troutdude..
Never was a fan of the rear drag. always felt weird to me.
And I plan to buy somthing localy just so its new and I can handle it befor I buy.

No problem man. It was just something to look at and see if you liked it or not.

My favorite is a hollow fiberglass Lamiglas rod. It's a 5 footer and the lightest rod ever! I just happened to find it on CL this year, and it's a true BLAST from my past (1960's vintage).