Trout opener moved to Sunday of Memorial Day weekend?

O
o clarki
Is this a major typo in the regs? I could have sworn the trout opener (for waters not open all year or with a special earlier opener) was the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. Last year's regs show May 22 (Saturday) - https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/21ORFW-VLR.pdf

This year's regs also show May 22 (Sunday) - https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/22ORFW.pdf

Normally changes of this magnitude would be highlighted in yellow to note the distinction from the prior year's regs, but perhaps because it's the same date they don't think it's a change?

Anyway, thoughts on who to contact to verify if this is correct or in fact an error?

Thanks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
A few years ago they separated the trout opener from Memorial day weekend, it is now always May 22. cheers, roger

PS- the earliest Saturday of Memorial day weekend is May 23.

Reactions: Snopro and Admin
O
o clarki
rogerdodger said:
A few years ago they separated the trout opener from Memorial day weekend, it is now always May 22. cheers, roger

PS- the earliest Saturday of Memorial day weekend is May 23.
Thanks for the heads up. Definitely missed that.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Looks like 2015 was the last year it was connected to Memorial Day weekend. I recall that the explanation was something goofy about them wanting it to be a fixed date each year and also always open before the holiday weekend. The latest that May 22 can be is the Friday before the holiday, so that is what they fixed it at.

Reactions: troutdude and Admin
S
Snopro
It's a similar situation for many lakes. The opener now is always 4/22, not a specific day of the week. I think at one time they used to open the 4th Sat of April.

Reactions: Admin
O
o clarki
rogerdodger said:
Looks like 2015 was the last year it was connected to Memorial Day weekend. I recall that the explanation was something goofy about them wanting it to be a fixed date each year and also always open before the holiday weekend. The latest that May 22 can be is the Friday before the holiday, so that is what they fixed it at.
Hmm - That would have made sense, but not sure that panned out. This year it's the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend... I get the desire for simplification but seems like poor implementation if that was the goal...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
o clarki said:
Hmm - That would have made sense, but not sure that panned out. This year it's the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend... I get the desire for simplification but seems like poor implementation if that was the goal...
Nope, your calendar is OFF, the earliest possible Memorial day is Monday the 25th. Then it jumps to the 31st.

O
o clarki
rogerdodger said:
Nope, your calendar is OFF, the earliest possible Memorial day is Monday the 25th. Then it jumps to the 31st.
Ha! I'm all screwed up. Getting worked up about nothing...

Thanks for setting me straight.

Reactions: rogerdodger
No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
I think you have the coastal rivers trout opener confused with the Cascade Lakes opener. Cascades April 22; Coastal rivers, May 22.

Reactions: Snopro
O
o clarki
No_Bad_Skunks said:
I think you have the coastal rivers trout opener confused with the Cascade Lakes opener. Cascades April 22; Coastal rivers, May 22.
No, just poor calendar reading skills - thought Memorial Day weekend was a week earlier than it actually is...

One of the few times I'm very glad to be wrong!