Trout in the Sandy?

D
Dish-Dawg
Is there trout in the sandy? I live really close to the sandy but am not set up for steelhead.

Reactions: OnTheFly
M
Moe
I think that there is a small, small population in there, but there are lots of jacks there, so make sure it is a trout that you are keeping, and not a nate steellie or salmon.

E
eggs
Very few 'trout' but always a decent amount of steelhead and salmon smolt.. c&r only so don't take any home..

F
Fishtopher
Fish the Clack if youre bent on catchin' Trout (read steelhead smolt).

D
Dish-Dawg
Steelhead smolt?

E
eggs
Yea most 'trout' in the sandy and clackamas are baby salmon and steelhead..

K
Kais
How can I catch those larger "trout" in the sandy without going too big because my little brother just goes trout.

M
metalfisher76
Kais said:
How can I catch those larger "trout" in the sandy without going too big because my little brother just goes trout.

What do you have for gear? Let`s start there.

K
Kais
metalfisher76 said:
What do you have for gear? Let`s start there.

Well I have a 6'6 trout pole, 6 lbs test line. I not sure what else you mean by gear. I don't have a lot of stuff like waders or anything. For bait I usually use powerbait but I don't think you are supposed to use that in Sandy so I also have rooster tails and some jigs and other lures.

M
mthoodrider
Fish the upper Sandy. Lots of trout up here and no limit on brook trout. Google miller rd, off of Hwy 26. Hike down Miller and stay to your left, on the bottom by a gravel pit, there is a nice hole where a lot of brookies hang out. Spinners work the best (Blue rooster tail always works). Anywhere along the Sandy from that point upriver and the Salmon River hold a good population of Brookies. But please use only barbless hooks in case if you hook a smolt. have fun!!!! Let me know if you ever come up this way and I can show you some nice spots.

H
hamiltongj
Is it pretty tight up there off of Miller Road? I wan to take some newbies to fly fishing and hopefully not catch too many limbs on the backcast.

R
Rascal
mthoodrider said:
Fish the upper Sandy. Lots of trout up here and no limit on brook trout. Google miller rd, off of Hwy 26. Hike down Miller and stay to your left, on the bottom by a gravel pit, there is a nice hole where a lot of brookies hang out. Spinners work the best (Blue rooster tail always works). Anywhere along the Sandy from that point upriver and the Salmon River hold a good population of Brookies. But please use only barbless hooks in case if you hook a smolt. have fun!!!! Let me know if you ever come up this way and I can show you some nice spots.

thanks man ill be staying at mt hood village later this summer and miller rd will be a great place to start but since ill be right there. do you know if theres any good brook fishing right at the mt hood village campground?