Trout ID- coast range stream

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
760929BB-347C-461F-A54E-143609690E4F.jpegB5E34BB5-716D-4831-A701-77D9A1D0E7CE.jpeg

I regularly fish the upper portion of a small stream in the Oregon coast range. Long-time locals tell me this river has never been stocked, and I think it’s too small for a migratory run. Most fish caught are in the 6-10 inch range (examples pictured above). I had assumed most fish here were costal cutthroats, as they exhibit the trademark red slash under the throat and rarely jump, but the top fish pictured looks like a textbook rainbow to me, and despite the red mark the bottom fish has a slight white tip on the rear fin. Furthermore, today I caught my record fish on this river, about 14 inches (sorry, no photo) and it jumped vigorously 6-7 times.

Thoughts?

4BE66909-D439-408D-AAAA-AB1C191DB3AD.jpeg

E
Eazy-E
looks like a nice little spot right there. id call those coastal/resident cutthroat

troutdude
troutdude
There is such a thing, as far I can recall, as a variant referred to as a "cutbow". That may be what you have there.

Neat looking spot!

brandon4455
brandon4455
Those are just resident coastal cutthroats, no rainbow in them.

The stream and fish look similar to a place I’ve fished for a very long time, which has an impassable barrier for migratory fish. The resident cutthroats are genetically distinct from other coast range trout. And very unique in appearance.

Reactions: rogerdodger and O. mykiss
troutdude
troutdude
brandon4455 said:
Those are just resident coastal cutthroats, no rainbow in them.

The stream and fish look similar to a place I’ve fished for a very long time, which has an impassable barrier for migratory fish. The resident cutthroats are genetically distinct from other coast range trout. And very unique in appearance.
Aha! Now I know why it looked familiar!

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Thanks for all the great feedback!
Someone recently told me that the white tips on fins was a strong trait in rainbows, and an indicator the fish is at least a hybrid. Is this bunk? Thoughts on these costal cutts?

Troutdude & Brandon, I don’t think there is a natural barrier on this stream, but I’m wondering if we fish the same waters? I know a spot in the Cascades similar to what you are mentioning.

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
2539BB5F-5505-4113-B5EC-556E3BF17F0F.jpeg4A835C26-0C70-421B-860C-F27822768C42.jpeg90AC5709-9B81-4270-A90E-F37B68D258F8.jpeg

A few more from today’s venture to the same stream. Big caddis started coming off the water for about 20 minutes just before sunset.

brandon4455
brandon4455
May not be the same stream, but the fish sure do look similar in size 😂

All kidding aside, I’ve caught many, many cutthroats in dozens of drainages both coastal streams and willamette tribs where the fish have white tips on the fins I personally do not consider that an indicator of a rainbow.

Cutthroat trout display the widest range of physical characteristics and life histories of any trout in Oregon imo. They vary so much in size, shape, color, pattern, run timing/migrations/ and general behaviors.
I see a lot of the time when a colorful cutthroat is posted most people jump to the cutthroat conclusion, but an actual cuttbow? I haven’t seen too many of myself. Most coastal rainbows always go to sea and spawn with their own. And most east slope coast range streams do not have resident rainbows in them either.

You’re more likely to encounter a cuttbow in streams that originate in the cascades, and hold healthy populations of both resident rainbow and cutthroat.

Here is a sea run coastal cutthroat
3E6D8FA2-3A1E-433A-B9EC-B44399FE6709.jpeg

Here’s a resident coastal cutthroat from the same stretch of river
6E4AFBAB-75DB-44A0-A8FA-D1B034CCA8C8.jpeg

Here are a few east slope coast range (willamette trib) cutthroats
3E66A3BA-EC25-448D-AB7D-3F58BDDD9E77.jpeg

C9243943-D458-4FD1-A1C6-BA7D9FABF8DF.jpeg

7E7DE7B6-806E-4C52-997E-B2D8C4405177.jpeg

Here are a couple from the next drainage over and you can see the vast difference in size + appearance. These fish also live a completely different lifestyle

F9932B26-5D6B-4B23-BBB1-B942803C8C71.jpeg
7C222E47-2983-4080-B39B-7104E12D917F.jpeg

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
brandon4455 said:
May not be the same stream, but the fish sure do look similar in size 😂

All kidding aside, I’ve caught many, many cutthroats in dozens of drainages both coastal streams and willamette tribs where the fish have white tips on the fins I personally do not consider that an indicator of a rainbow.

Cutthroat trout display the widest range of physical characteristics and life histories of any trout in Oregon imo. They vary so much in size, shape, color, pattern, run timing/migrations/ and general behaviors.
I see a lot of the time when a colorful cutthroat is posted most people jump to the cutthroat conclusion, but an actual cuttbow? I haven’t seen too many of myself. Most coastal rainbows always go to sea and spawn with their own. And most east slope coast range streams do not have resident rainbows in them either.

You’re more likely to encounter a cuttbow in streams that originate in the cascades, and hold healthy populations of both resident rainbow and cutthroat.

Here is a sea run coastal cutthroat
View attachment 639460

Here’s a resident coastal cutthroat from the same stretch of river
View attachment 639461

Here are a few east slope coast range (willamette trib) cutthroats
View attachment 639462
View attachment 639463
View attachment 639464

Here are a couple from the next drainage over and you can see the vast difference in size + appearance. These fish also live a completely different lifestyle

View attachment 639465View attachment 639466
Thank you! I appreciate the info and clarity. Beautiful fish!

Cutts are quickly becoming my favorite fish.