Trout fishing with spoons.

S
SamV
Does anybody have any tips for catching trout with spoons?

Grant22
Grant22
Lil Cleo spoons are my favorite, you can fish them in current or still water. They are extremely versatile little lures. I guess Kastmasters are technically spoons also and I would highly recommend those too. The thing with spoons is that you want to fish them slow, they will start to spin if they go to fast and that isn't really fishing them effectively.

Reactions: SamV and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Grant22 said:
Lil Cleo spoons are my favorite, you can fish them in current or still water. They are extremely versatile little lures. I guess Kastmasters are technically spoons also and I would highly recommend those too. The thing with spoons is that you want to fish them slow, they will start to spin if they go to fast and that isn't really fishing them effectively.
DING DING DING!!! I've been using Little Cleo's for a few decades now. You can cover a lot of water with spoons that you can't, with other methods too. And I agree...go slow and low with your spoons.

Getting a copy of this book, will help to get you up to speed.

1621525368393.png

Reactions: SamV
Grant22
Grant22
troutdude said:
DING DING DING!!! I've been using Little Cleo's for a few decades now. You can cover a lot of water with spoons that you can't, with other methods too. And I agree...go slow and low with your spoons.

Getting a copy of this book, will help to get you up to speed.

View attachment 627911
Lots of steelhead techniques can be applied to trout too

O
Orgwayne
was lucky many years ago to get 4 gray and one black squirrel in a weekend in my uncles 80 acre woods, sent the tails off to Mepps in Antigo Wis and made into lures, kind of neet
Wayne

Reactions: SamV, FisherMark, troutdude and 1 other person
hobster
hobster
78D1EA8D-CD77-411B-A9B1-CB59C6412AA4.jpeg

This is my go to for trout. Thomas Buoyant spoons are the best for trout in my opinion. Can’t go wrong. I strictly use cleos for steelhead, they are the bees knees for steel. I’m pretty sure Thomas’ are cheaper and easy to find in small trout sizes. @troutdude has the best advice, that book is the Bible of spoon fishing. Slow and low baby!

Reactions: SamV, O. mykiss and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Grant22 said:
Lots of steelhead techniques can be applied to trout too
Thank you buddy...I meant to mention that.

troutdude
troutdude
hobster said:
View attachment 627912
This is my go to for trout. Thomas Buoyant spoons are the best for trout in my opinion. Can’t go wrong. I strictly use cleos for steelhead, they are the bees knees for steel. I’m pretty sure Thomas’ are cheaper and easy to find in small trout sizes. @troutdude has the best advice, that book is the Bible of spoon fishing. Slow and low baby!
THIS! I'll be dropping some Thomas Buoyant's OFF of the Detroit Dam tomorrow morning!

When still fishing they can be dropped into the still water and retrieved or jigged. Fish will attack them, primarily, on the drop.

M
MrMatt923
Kastmaster and Thomas Bouyant for me. McKenzie river, cast out... Let sink a touch, then jerk to straighten and real slow. Fish either hit on fall or sometime on slow retrieve.