Trout fishing on the Wilson River?

dschmunis
dschmunis
Hi all,

I'm new to the state and new to the forum. I'm starting to explore my surrounding areas (I live in Hillsboro) and looking for fishing opportunities. I know that the Wilson river is not too far from my place and was thinking about heading down on Saturday to explore a bit. So, wondering if there's any trout and if so, if it's worth going now?

I know that salmon season doesn't start for about another month, but need to get in the water while I get my steelhead/salmon gear ready!

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

Stay safe and stay healthy!
D

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to Oregon and to OFF.

Yes go now! It's time for Sea Run Cutthroats! Look for slower water, backwater, eddies, undercut banks, etc. The Wilson has a prime run.

If you're fly fishing tie, our buy, some Bordon Specials. If you're spin fishing then get some small brown Rooster Tails.

dschmunis
dschmunis
Thank you for the welcome and intel Troutdude!

Any other river/stream/creek recommendations around the Portland area?

portlandrain
portlandrain
Hey tro
troutdude said:
Welcome to Oregon and to OFF.

Yes go now! It's time for Sea Run Cutthroats! Look for slower water, backwater, eddies, undercut banks, etc. The Wilson has a prime run.

If you're fly fishing tie, our buy, some Bordon Specials. If you're spin fishing then get some small brown Rooster Tails.

What's roughly the season for the sea run? I've been wanting to try for a while..

troutdude
troutdude
Starts in July so it's mid season now. Get out there.

portlandrain
portlandrain
troutdude said:
Starts in July so it's mid season now. Get out there.
Do you catch them on the lower coastal rivers, or further upstream as the season goes on?

dschmunis
dschmunis
Went down to the Wilson on Saturday (my first time there as I just moved to Oregon).
First of all.... GORGEOUS RIVER even if it looks like it's running low at this time of the year. Lots of long deep pools and playful riffles.
Tried four different spots. Caught a few cutthroat trouts right around where Fall Creek comes in. Small but fun!
Planning on scoping the Trasker and Nestucca coming weekend. Any info on where/how to access would be much appreciated!

Reactions: troutdude
PhoFish
PhoFish
dschmunis said:
Went down to the Wilson on Saturday (my first time there as I just moved to Oregon).
First of all.... GORGEOUS RIVER even if it looks like it's running low at this time of the year. Lots of long deep pools and playful riffles.
Tried four different spots. Caught a few cutthroat trouts right around where Fall Creek comes in. Small but fun!
Planning on scoping the Trasker and Nestucca coming weekend. Any info on where/how to access would be much appreciated!
Awesome to read, maybe I will save the drive out to one of these further destinations and just head to the Wilson tomorrow as it is MUCH closer to Hillsboro! Just moved to OR as well and am trying to figure out this whole thing!

dschmunis
dschmunis
@PhoFish (or anyone else) if you ever want to go exploring together feel free to DM me. Planning on going back out both days this weekend

PhoFish
PhoFish
dschmunis said:
@PhoFish (or anyone else) if you ever want to go exploring together feel free to DM me. Planning on going back out both days this weekend
Hey awesome! I never did find the fall river spot, but tried up towards Jones Creek for the past couple days.. nothing on spinners or egg floats - hopefully I can get on some fish tomorrow - I just want to eat trout! Unfortunately the weekends is when I do not fish oddly enough - suppose that will all change once I go back to work.

dschmunis
dschmunis
@PhoFish, I did try Jones Creek but it was a party under the bridge.
Let me know if your weekends open up!
D

B
Ben c
portlandrain said:
Hey tro

What's roughly the season for the sea run? I've been wanting to try for a while..
How did your fishing trip go? I am trying to catch some sea run cutthroats myself