Trout fishing on the Sandy River?

dschmunis
dschmunis
Hi all,

New to the forum and fairly new to Oregon.

I heard that the Sandy river is a pretty good spot to go fishing for salmon/steelhead, but wondering if it's worth it for trout? If so, any holes/locations in particular?

Stay safe and stay healthy!
D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Raincatcher
dschmunis
dschmunis
@Raincatcher thank you so much for sharing this resources with me. Much appreciated.

Is it worth it to go out looking for trout or will I be wasting my time?

D

Reactions: AlmightyZurg
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmm, catching a fish is never guaranteed, Grasshopper. Only the fish can decide if you will find it worthwhile. ;)

C
cchinook
No trout , coho soon , some springers still left .

C
cchinook
Summer steelhead also .

E
edpdx
I think the "Grasshopper" reference would be more aptly credited to Master Po, But your response was priceless never the less.

• po.jpg
Reactions: Raincatcher
N
noordijkp
Is it worth fishing the sandy while it’s silty? Any fly fishing folks out there meeting woth success.
I’ve just returned ti fishing from a 36 year break. I’m using a 6wt single hand or 8wr switch fly rod. I got a hit today on a black bugger (naturally, while i was fiddling with a tangle; my rod was between my knees and the line behind me.) by the time i realized what happened, the hook was spit and somebody was enjoying his joke all the way back to his feeding lie.

D
Davpot
Back in the 90s (not the Temp!) in Sept/Oct I had some interesting surface fushing below the Stark St bridge catching lots if whitefish/trout on wets and drys while large salmon passed underneath! Some kind of hatch comes off down fhere that time of year. Keep your eye on that river!

Reactions: Echskech
O
olshiftybiscuits
dschmunis said:
I heard that the Sandy river is a pretty good spot to go fishing for salmon/steelhead, but wondering if it's worth it for trout? If so, any holes/locations in particular?
The tributaries that flow into the Sandy are much clearer and provide better trout habitat, so the majority of resident fish live further up in the system. On the Sandy itself, you're likely to hook juvenile anadromous fish. The Salmon and Zigzag are both good, and easy to access. Three weight water, dry flies.